Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I'm going to be a rat mumma!

Donator — PrinCSS Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/16 22:19:34 )

@sunny:
    this is my girls snuggled up a few days ago!
    So cool to know people who like rats as well! This is my first time owning them ;;
    Another few more sad questions are once a rat does pass, what do I do? I heard about preserving the body in a container or burying them but I am not sure :(
    My boyfriend and I, after the heart attack we had the other day dedcided we wanted to take more pictures and do little feet prints and things of them, so we have something
    And then we are unsure what to do about getting a partner rat- we have 2 cages and a bathtub but is it better to get 1 rat to pair up with my girl, or would it be better introducing her to a family of 2 rats? Blah xD

We ended up putting a pedestal fan in there to blow some air around and I gave them more cold water bottles to snuggle up (and fresh water, always)
    She is fine now- well fine like normal. Still hates being touched, loves darkness and steals the food off her sister XD

@Glume: didn't think of honey and will look today for some of the goldenseal in shops! Thank you c:

COMMISSION | GUIDE | PREMADES

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/17 00:38:16 )
    @Aly: so sweet to see them cuddled up like that :) I'm glad they are doing a bit better with their own personal air conditioning :)

I guess it's down to your preference what to do once one passes on. I used to bury mine but since we moved to a place without a garden, just a small patio, I bury them in plant pots and choose a nice flowers for them. One thing to make sure of is that your show your other rats the body so that they can understand what has happened, but don't leave them unattended with it.

As far as introducing new rats is concerned, it's better to do it now so that you don't run the risk of having one rat left alone at all. Tbh, rats are happier in larger groups anyway, and they are less likely to have behavioural problems. The method I use (the carrier method) is tried and tested. Introductions can seem complicated because it requires paying attention to all the little micro-behaviours, but it is worth it in the end!

You can always come to me with any questions etc, but I'd also recommend joining a bunch of rat groups on FB if you haven't already!

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — ghost Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/22 02:04:44 )

Omg rats are so smart and so sweet. I have owned many. Your set up looks great, they're so lucky to have you!!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.