Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Tis the Season

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/7 15:38:53 )

Took my dogs for their morning walk through the yard and right as we finish our circle, what do I see chillin' in the dirt?

A gosh-dang baby maraca-danger-noodle. Two of the dogs sprinted right past it as they did their usual run up the driveway, and I think one of them stepped on it as part of its head/neck was kinda flattened. I thought it was dead until I saw its lil tongue pop out. I grabbed my other dog and noped all the way back up the trail.

My bf's dad has killed over a dozen in our yard over the past couple years, so it's nothing new, but the time of year is officially here where I have to be extra careful walking the dogs u_u and I definitely don't want to get near one NOpe

(For those of you uncultured, a maraca-danger-noodle is a rattlesnake.)

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/7 15:40:51 )
omfg I can't imagine just seeing a snake out and about like that. We have like grass snakes here but they are rare and no more deadly than a worm. Rattlesnakes are scary :o

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/7 15:41:31 )
Where do you live where there's a bunch of rattlesnakes all over the place?
I mean, I would love that. But, I barely see any snakes where I live and if I do, its just a plain ol' garden snake.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/7 16:04:21 )
Aw, poor baby snakeos. Sorry your worlds have to mix so dangerously.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/7 21:40:02 )

@sunny: For real tho. Everyone is always warning me about walking through the yard and I've always been kind of naive about it but now that I've actually encountered one I'm spooked.

@Zuggy: I live in Tucson, so any walk through a patch of desert will usually yield snakes. My solution is to stay inside, and stick to trails if I'm ever hiking. xD

@Glume: So true, I feel bad for the way the poor things are demonised out here. Some people go out of their way to abuse them and it breaks my heart. Like why you so full of hate. I'm one to just turn around and let them be, though when it comes to my dogs I'd rather be safe than sorry--which is why my bf's dad will kill the ones that come into the yard.

But yeah, nature is scary and I prefer to leave it alone. xD

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/8 00:29:47 )
@Vii: I've been to Arizona before. (Scottsdale area) And I didn't see any snakes at all

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/8 01:22:16 )
I would’ve noped the fuck out of there too, wise choice.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/8 01:23:24 )

@Zuggy: Scottsdale is a couple hours north, near Phoenix. I never saw snakes when I lived up there (it was only a year tho). It's more of a metro area, more heavily developed so depending on where you go, you won't encounter much wildlife (still lots of lizards everywhere and of course coyotes), though if you head out into a wash in the morning or take a hike in the desert you'll probably (eventually) come upon one.

It's a lot more rural and spread out down here, and in the 1.5 years I've lived in this part of Tucson, I've only (personally) encountered two--one got in our yard close to the house last year, and then the one I mentioned today--but like I said my bf's dad has found a lot of them, I think something like 16 in the past two years. Our property is large and loaded with desert plants, too, which is part of it--plenty of shady places to hide when the sun gets too hot.

@butterfly: for real tho I didn't even see it until I got like 10 feet away, and thought it was dead but then I saw the tongue and was like NOPE, NOT TODAY

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/8 01:27:02 )
@Vii: I’m glad your pups are okay too. That would have been awful :(

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/8 01:51:49 )
@Vii: If it were not likely illegal, I would totally suggest you catch and sell them to loving homes XD
But, yeah, when it comes to keeping your doogs safe, gotta do what you gotta do.
I used to live with a lot of snakes, spiders, and rats. They were like family to me. I get all sappy when people talk about 'em.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — Damned Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/8 18:51:44 )

@Vii: baby maraca-danger-noodle? What the heck is that?

Just because you don't see me doesn't mean I'm not here. I'm a lurker.

Deals With the Devil

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/9 02:50:49 )
I would crap my pants. I only have to worry about raccoons, skunks and potentially a fox or two here. I don't have a dog rn but when I did, I was walking my dog when he suddenly pulled in from direction and when I looked he had his nose right in a skunk's butt! it's tail went up but it isn't spray, then it ran off.
call me grem
they/them

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/9 17:11:08 )

@Glume: I do love me some friendly creepy crawlies. We never kept them as pets, but my dad and I would always leave the spiders alone in our house so they could eat all the annoying insects xD Pythons are cute, I used to have a friend with a little ball python and I love their little puppy faces. I'd actually love to get a rat, too, since they're so easy to train and enjoy doing just about anything with their owner. 8D

@nyreen: Dang you got lucky on that one xD especially considering the fact that you'd have been in the spray radius. xD

My dogs are all large enough to scare most creatures away (thank goodness--it's why I love bigger puppers), but one of them totally bolted after a group of coatl-mundi when we were out hiking one day. I was plowing after her through ankle-deep mud and screaming her name but she wouldn't listen D: eventually, she stopped and the critters escaped deep into the trees, thankfully. Ever since then I'm almost too anxious to go hiking in that particular area c':

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/10 15:23:31 )
@Vii: Honestly, I kinda wanna do that now. Just take a trip back out there and go exploring and try to find some snakes and wherever else I stumble upon.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/10 17:56:28 )

@Zuggy: Head on down to Tucson and hit up one of the trailheads! There's a creek by our house that almost feels like another world. There are some ruined train tracks and cool rock formations down there too.

Not far from here is Colossal Cave, too, which has petroglyphs in it! I've always wanted to go but we've just never gotten around to it.

I'm not gonna lie, I was salty when we moved to AZ from IL, but there is some cool stuff out here and I've met amazing people, so I guess it's just part of my journey.

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/15 00:06:58 )
@Vii: That actually sounds awesome! I'm going on a solo road trip by myself to South Carolina here in the next week. But, I know for my next trip, I'll be going back out to Arizona. Probably after my next birthday, so I can officially rent a car so I can go explore more out there.

Donator — Any Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/15 16:44:20 )
Oh jeez. I have a mouse infestarion rn. We've caught 4 D:
Please ping me!

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/17 21:18:44 )
While rattlesnakes sound terrifying, baby ones sound cute 8D

eeee ee eeee smoke weed everyday
(legitimately googled if this was pg-13 appropriate because I try to be a respectful stoner. So like you're welcome teenagers)
Working on a new signature.
PS-I LOVE PUGS

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.