Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Feedback Is blocking a feature and how do I do it?

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 02:26:16 )
I hate to say this, but there is someone I want to block. They haven't done anything to me, yet, but how they have replied to other peoples' posts and just their general attitude, I don't want them doing what they've done to others to me. I want to prevent that from happening and if this behavior continues I might report them with screenshots of all their rude posts. I'm trying really hard not to engage them which is another reason I want to block them. I'm not strong enough. I want to yell and scream at them, but I know that will just get me in trouble also and end up making things more difficult so I need a little extra help... by blocking them.
I went to their profile to see if there was a block button, but couldn't locate one. Is there a way to block someone?
If there isn't, well you can go ahead and move this to the Feedback Thread as a feature suggestion.
And also if there isn't one here is just a suggestion... To make a block feature great and functional, a block should prevent the blocked person from messaging, commenting on profile, sending trades, and from posting on the person who blocked them's threads...
Sorry, if this a little angry sounding. I'm a little angry right now.

Admin — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 02:49:31 )
@Faust Sheep: Unfortunately we haven't implemented a block feature yet. I hear your concerns and we will try our best to bring this feature to you and the community. I will move this to the Feedback Forums so it's on everyone's radar and other users can give their feedback too.
If you need assistance or just want to chat, you may contact me anytime by ping or PM.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 03:12:54 )
I would love to have this feature too.

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 03:23:07 )

Completely agree. I know quite a few of us has been asking for this so would love to see this implemented.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 03:29:29 )
I feel your pain, and would like to also suggest a kudos feature to sort of give props to folks who are agreeable and helpful, because we have so many of those folks.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 03:36:44 )
this feature would be great for many of us,
sorry to hear that you are feeling angry.

I know it is sometimes hard to ignore
a person who is making you feel upset.

thumbs up to this feature
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 03:52:15 )

While the Karma/ thumbs up ideas are nice suggestions, should probably make a separate thread about that, as this topic is more geared towards Blocking. I'm sure its easier on the mods who are keeping a list of suggestions, to keep the topics on..topic ^^

|

Donator — He Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:08:33 )
Why not do it like youtube?
Blur the whole post by the one who are blocked instead of try to hide the whole person?

About like / dislike button..
When the dislike count reach a specific number, just blur the whole post, unless clicked xD

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 04:36:42 )
Yes, please don’t spam this with things that don’t really have to do with blocking especially since I am not really fond of “liking/disliking posts” and “kudos” features. You can make your own thread, just please don’t start a conversation about it on my thread.

And, Raxton, if you don’t agree with this or you find this funny, then you can leave because that comment really just seems like you’re trolling. :/ Edit: Looks like you edited the post to something that doesn’t sound like you’re just trolling.

Finishing up on my computer because phone was dying.
The problem with just blurring posts is that it doesn't solve anything. Voltra has a functioning message system, trade system, and allows people to post on others profiles. If you just blur the posts then you're not actually blocking someone because they still can contact you, they still can access to you, which defeats the whole purpose and reason of a block. To block someone from having contact with you. Harassment is another reason why a block feature would be nice/needed. Here are just some examples of why "hiding" a person or completely blocking a person from having contact with you are better than blurring posts.
On another place, they had a block feature, but it still allowed people to post on your threads, well this became an issue quickly when some people who had gotten blocked by a couple people decided they didn't like being blocked. They came onto the threads made by the people who blocked them and decided to harass them. I'll omit some of the language, but they kept berating the people who blocked them with things like "Why the hell did you block me?!" and "How dare you block me!" and a few insults I will also omit due to vulgarity and more language. Now moving on to personal experiences, I have been messaged by people I have blocked and received harassment through messages because I blocked them. Let me just tell you blocking someone, but them still being able to message you is not fun and like I previously mentioned, defeats the purpose of a block. So I stick by my statement of a great and functioning block feature being one that prevents people from messaging you, commenting on your profile, trading with you, and from posting on your threads.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 05:42:28 )
Yeah, if I block someone I would like to not see them pop up whatsoever. I don't want them to have the ability to message me, post in my thread, send trades, etc.

When I block someone it's usually as a last resort and because things between me and that user have taken an ugly turn and can no longer remain amiable. I may feel uncomfortable, threatened, etc.

I would hate to still get pings, messages or see a blurred post from someone that I've blocked. I'm feeling nervous just thinking about it haha.
call me grem
they/them

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 10:29:14 )
I both support this idea, and hope that it would never be necessary. Realistically, though, as the site grows, it will likely become something that is much more needed. My two cents.

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 14:26:38 )
My personal block feature is the sign out button, but yes I agree an official block button would be ideal.

If it were made, it should treat us as if we were non-existent/non-registered users to each other. The person doing the blocking and the person being blocked should not be able to see the other person's threads, posts, profile, the person's name online at the bottom of forums, and *maybe* the person's name on the posting ranks.

If ya'll want to be super extra, make the block feature have permanent effects. Once they block someone, they are blocked forever. It might foster an environment where users are more forgiving, be active(?) about changing the rude person's attitude, or generally working out their differences before finally blocking someone.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 18:21:10 )
+1

okios:
Once they block someone, they are blocked forever. It might foster an environment where users are more forgiving, be active(?) about changing the rude person's attitude, or generally working out their differences before finally blocking someone.

I like this idea, and agree that to "improve the world", so to speak, people should take a more active, engaged attitude about dealing with conflicts. But it seems naive to think that that will not fuel more upset in the process, not only for people involved in the conversation but for those reading as well.

The fact is that opinions can change over time, so I don't think permanent block is realistic, nor does it suit actual user behaviour. Regular old block would do.
Ping me

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/25 18:50:23 )

I agree about the blocking feature. While it might seem harse the last thing you want is people starting a fight. You don´t want things to escalate. A blocking feature would prevent this from happening.

I can speak from personal experience that if the blocking feature didn´t exist on my old avi home, I´m not sure if I made it till the end. I was ready to strangle someone.

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 00:22:19 )
@Okios:
Question, by permanent you mean no time limit right? I was on a place where blocks had a 30 day expiration date. I did not like that system. I like it better when users have control over the block, like being able to turn it "on" and "off". (being able to block and unblock a person at will) Basically I'm saying that a block should be permanent unless the person who originally did the block decides for themselves that they want to unblock the person they blocked. I'm not sure if that's what you meant. ^ ^;
If it is then yeah, I agree. I do not want a timed block or the site deciding for itself how long the block should be. I want to be able to decide for myself how long the block should last by being able to block and unblock people at will on my own time.

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/26 01:09:06 )
@faust sheep: Yes, I meant no time limit. Once you block someone, you block them forever and indefinitely, and there is no way to undo that block. (i.e. They are essentially dead to you on that account. However, I guess you can "undo" this if you are "reborn"/make a new account/mule.) It's meant to make users more open-minded regarding conflicts on this site since it's a permanent action.

But as Eruca mentioned, it is an extreme/"super extra" way to handle things because people's opinions change over time, and not everyone is open to advice and change (even if your intentions are "good") which might create more drama than actually fixing the problem. But at the same time, "no pain, no gain" amirite?

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/27 03:09:39 )

I have never had to use a block button on avatar sites, but I would like to see one for here. I know that others use the feature. (I have used it on Skype)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/27 06:22:19 )
I would love a block feature... More of a preemptive strike for me than anything else due to a reoccuring stalking/harassment issue that kept creeping up on a previous website.

I didn't know there wasn't block system here.
Also Pixel on Solia.

Voltie — dead Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/29 00:23:46 )
hello

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/29 00:26:17 )
@oh: I think something went wrong there with that.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.