Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I Hate Not Having The Internet!

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/17 23:22:48 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!

So, I'm in the process of moving back into my mother's house, as my father is planning to get rid of his house and spend his retirement traveling around the country in a small RV he just bought. Luckily, she lives right across the street from where I work, so it's actually not a bad situation.

The problem? SHE HAS NO INTERNET.

Now, internet where she lives is usually around $80 month. Pretty steep, esecially when I need to give her around $400 a month - or $100 a week, for rent and other bills.

So, now I'm down to having no internet, unless you count my 5 gb phone data plan, which I am blowing through at a rather alarming rate.

Ugh. This sucks.

We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

Voltie — Obnoxious Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/17 23:48:00 )
@sirlionelnigelconrad: Reading the nuance of a post is fairly important at times.
@mellonin: That sucks :/ hope you find a way to get some interwebs :(

Voltie — Obnoxious Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/17 23:59:18 )
@sirlionelnigelconrad: That is some backward ass thinking, just saying.

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 00:04:07 )

@SirLionelNigelConrad: Sometimes, there are more important things, other bills, that one has to pay for and simply does not have the money or the means to get/afford the internet. Money doesn't grow on trees and people only make so much.

Voltie — Obnoxious Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 00:10:44 )
@sirlionelnigelconrad: I don't feel like getting banned, so gonna leave this "conversation" here.
@mellonin: Hope you're able to figure something out. ^^

Voltie — Obnoxious Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 00:17:17 )
@sirlionelnigelconrad: You do you bud, But how about not hijacking a thread?

Donator — nyan? Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 00:52:15 )
neko says;
The internet has pretty much become my life. If I don't have it I get really antsy.

sell me rigs please♥

Donator — King Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 01:04:48 )
I have not had internet for about a year now. I am sure you can get something figured maybe ask your mom to drop something if she has cable it would be cheaper to get internet with hulu and netflix that would be roughly 100 a month and tv plans can cost more than that i believe but yeah hopefully soon we both find some way to get internets
Dressed as goblins!
Do it all again!
See the friends all again!

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 01:14:42 )
A few words of wisdom to help you through these trying times: Free Wifi Hotspots.
Make a local starbucks your new haunt if need be.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 01:18:58 )
I agree with Glume. The wifi hotspots are kinda slow depending on where you go but it is a very good idea if some are available near you. Slow is better than nothing :vanora_smile:

Always ping me please.

Voltie — He/Him/His Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 03:08:21 )
Awww that sucks. I hate not having an internet access for at least a day. Internet is life and it's already a big part of most of our lives.
There is something haunting in the light of the moon;
It has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery.

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 03:26:21 )
don't forget about your local library! free (unsecured) wifi.
or a public university.

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 15:34:24 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!

@SirLionelNigelConrad: Dude, I have no car. I have no car because I can't afford one. I work at the only store in my tiny town, which has less than 2,000 people living in it. I work maximum hours at that store. But I still don't make enough for the cheapest internet from the only company that serves my area. To afford internet, I would have to either not pay my electric bill, or I only pay part of my rent. Both of these are not solutions that will actually work.

Not everybody has the same ability as you do, to earn more money. The resources that are available to me are not the same as the ones that are available to you. So please, don't make it out to be like I'm lazy, or not willing to do the work. I am. I am working my a$$ off right now. But it still isn't enough.

So thanks for making me feel like a complete loser who can't succeed at life like you can. Really helping the situation. (That was sarcasm, in case you didn't catch it.)

We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
Mellonin's Ramblings

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 15:36:25 )
I've been in this boat for a few years now and it freaking sucks (thanks, Tucson, for being a craphole). We moved to a "blank zone" (Comcast literally did not even have cables in the ground--it would have been thousands of dollars to get them to build a line and get hi speed internet.) It really sucked because this was all around the time Destiny first came out (it'd been out for a few months or a year, been too long now) so I wasn't able to play Destiny anymore :C

I thought it'd only last a year but it seems the universe is determined to keep me away from hi-speed internet since the two places I've moved after that, still no internet.

I upgraded my phone to unlimited data as a coping mechanism but it has its limitations and gets slow.

You really don't appreciate having WiFi at home until you spend some time without it... Hope you're able to get connected sometime soon. <3

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 16:37:26 )

@Mellonin: You aren't a loser. You are doing what you can. Some people just seem to think life requires simple answers to solve everything. Because you know...we are all driving fancy cars and living in mansions apparently lol.
<3 Appreciate your post and keep working hard ^^

|

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 17:38:05 )
@Mellonin: That's hard, but you aren't a loser! You are working really hard and should be proud of yourself!
Try to see if there are any places within walking distance that have free wifi? Like a McDonald's, Starbucks, Library, etc
Also you could try to add more data to your phone plan, I'm sure that would be less than $80 a month and would really help.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/18 21:23:01 )
@Mellonin: Aww that does suck. Though depending on the apps on the phone they have data saver options as well. You can also go to places that have public wifi and leach onto that if you don';t want to. There's also another option as well that I had while at my moms when they didn't have wifi/internet. There's a sort of internet stick that will hook onto your laptop (if you got one) and hook you onto the nearest wifi signals that are free. Not the best option but better than nothing if you're blowing through that much data.
Bribe Shop
Freebies, come get em

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/19 04:01:19 )
You may want to check into mobile hotspots you can buy, too! A lil thing you can plug into your computer and you get wifi. You can pay a certain amount for a certain amount of data... Wouldn't do it for things like gaming, but it takes quite a LONG damned time to get through the data on avatar websites. Just remember to turn it off before going to sleep, you'd waste money. I used to have one for Virgin Mobile, was good when I was a student and needed to go random places while bringing laptop for schoolwork.
Also Pixel on Solia.

Donator — He Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/19 04:09:16 )
When i was at college, i didnt use any data plan on my phone
I use portable wifi instead, its cheaper and have more quota than the data plan offered in my country

I dunno if it is the same case in your country tho xD

Voltie — Damned Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/21 23:40:23 )
@Mellonin:

I've been there.
Several years ago, my mom quit our internet service for a while due to high costs I believe it was--or was it unsatisfactory performance?
I digress.

This left me having to use the city library for internet access for at least a month and at this city library depending on the computer you use, one cardholder gets 30-90 minutes of usage a day.

It was difficult.

It's scary how much the human race depends on electronics in this age. including those who grew up before technology took over like me.
I've had power trouble in this house and it never ceases to astonish and shame me how frustrated I can feel without internet access.

Are you not able to get internet for the house?
Is your city library not close?

Just because you don't see me doesn't mean I'm not here. I'm a lurker.

Deals With the Devil

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.