Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature Favorite books?

Donator — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/8 02:35:58 )
Locked due to 6+months of inactivity in the thread. If you would like this thread unlocked, please PM a mod.

What are your favorite books? Anything that you would recommend?

Ping me!

Hangout

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/8 03:08:23 )
Lord of the Rings is a classic. Most of the books that got turned into movies are usually pretty good like Game of Thrones and Harry Potter. I like to read Sherlock Holmes too for short, quick stories. I would suggest more but these are good for a start if you haven't read them

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/8 03:16:20 )
Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, would recommend to anyone who likes sci fi even a little bit...also somewhat of a hmm...hard to explain really, it's a lot of clever things happening there, anything from crime solving, romance, space battles with plenty of detail, various other types of detective book to an entire book dedicated to the main character getting married and some political drama to boot....it's a lot to take in, there are quite a lot of books in the saga, but it's incredibly fun and I've read each book at least 4 times I believe...

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/21 16:06:00 )
My favorite books are: The Black Jewel series, The Last Herald-Mage trilogy, Howl's Moving Castle, The Help, and Pride & Prejudice.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/21 16:12:01 )
I read Howl's Moving Castle because of the movie. I liked it alot.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/22 19:47:50 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!

The Kingkiller Chronicles. There are several books so far, fantasy genre, and they are AMAZING.

"My name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as "quothe." Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I've had more names than anyone has a right to. The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.

"The Flame" is obvious if you've ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple of hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it's unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

"The Thunder" I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I've never thought of "The Broken Tree" as very significant. Although in retrospect, I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant "to know."

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me. "

We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
Mellonin's Ramblings

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 05:10:07 )
My favorite book is Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. Disclaimer: no relation to 50 shades
I think the only reason I like it so much is because I misinterpreted a lot of the stuff he wrote and brain filled meaning to it to fit my 3rd wave feminism ideology. I recommend it though. I mean, some of his ideas are probably still considered pretty progressive in today's standards. But you probably won't get the same things out of it as I did.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 05:30:50 )
In terms of novels, I think of perhaps three or so of the ones I recommend the most depend on the genre you like. I tend towards fantasy in general, but one of my top three is a historical fiction, much to my own surprise. I have a ton of others I love though... but this is just the ones I really know why I enjoyed the most etc.

I've liked the Magic or Madness trilogy by Justine Larbalestier since I was young for its unique viewpoint on the concept of magic mixed with more common ideologies regarding it, and the characters are generally really fun for me. Points bothered me, but overall, it was a great series.

Another good trilogy is the Sign of Seven trilogy by Nora Roberts. It's considered a supernatural romance, but I think it has notable mystery elements too. The gothic vibe and imagery really kept me going, and her more risque moments are written so well I barely felt them risque at all.

As for my third, the historical fiction, I really loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. It went into great detail (sometimes too much for my young heart) and really made me feel like I was living in 19th century China through the narrator, while the fictional side of it was heartwarming in contrast to what in today's world is generally cruel treatment of young girls on various levels. The detail was a bit too well done though at points, so I honestly cringed due to my rather tactile imagination, such as when it went into the process of foot binding... Still, it was a great book, and very insightful!

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/29 16:01:26 )
My favourite books have got to be The Quantum Thief (The Quantum Thief; The Fractal Prince; The Causal Angel) series by Hannu Rajaniemi. He's a relatively new sci-fi author but his science is solid, and the world he's created is just absolutely mind-blowing. So full of imagination and wonder! It's so inspiring and got me going on my novel again after a dry spell. c:

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/5 09:52:45 )
I love basically anything by Neil Gaiman. His Neverwhere and American Gods rank among my favorites, for starters.

I'm firmly in the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fandoms.

Ray Bradbury rocks.

Some of my favorite classics are To Kill A Mockingbird, The Martian Chronicles, and Jane Eyre.

I love books from many genres, but the above are some of the highlights that come to mind right now.

Voltie — HIM Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/5 03:53:05 )
@Shark: The Black Company series.
Really cool fantasy about a mercenary company who work for the Dark Sorceress.
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/5 23:31:56 )
The Little Red Hen

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/9 23:55:39 )
when i was a kid i used to be super into the warrior cats series lol. nowadays i like anything by haruki murakami, but my favorite work of his is probably the wind-up bird chronicle. i also recently got into poetry and so far i've really liked bloom by beau taplin and whiskey words & a shovel by r.h. sin.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/10 00:03:23 )
@neku: Haha! The warrior cat series!! I used to read that as a kid too but I have to admit I bought them because of the cute cats on the covers! Also do share your favorite poems with us! I tried to get a thread on it started in the literature section but it doesn't seem like there are many others who share my interest. :vanora_smile:

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/11 01:52:26 )
@Saeyra: lmao i did the same, those covers were just so good X'D ahh the one in your signature right? i'll check it out sometime!

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/11 12:03:04 )
@neku: Yeah that one exactly :vanora_smile: Looking forward to seeing you there!

Always ping me please.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/15 04:51:12 )
Recently rediscovered E.M. Forster's Howard's End.
I keep quoting from that book recently. Weird.
Ping me

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/19 19:36:12 )
I love Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. It's one of my favorites and there maybe a promise to make some of her work into film.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/1 01:02:08 )
My favourite book of all time is Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It can be quite a difficult book in places and kinda intense so I guess it's not what you'd call light reading. But it made me gasp out loud in several places and it's so beautiful. It's also one of the only books I can read over and over again and still love it just as much as the first time :)

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/4 04:26:19 )
Yes, You Are Trans Enough by Mia Violet.

One of the most validating things that I've read tbh.
call me grem
they/them

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.