Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What if you had a card deck of OCs...

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:39:06 )
I was watching some anime the other day and the characters were holding trading cards that looked super pretty. Whenever I see something pretty art-wise I immediately think, "what if I made a project out of that!?"
Which made me think of an idea to make trading/tarot card designs for every OC I have. Like, literally print them out with their fancy layouts and everything.

If you're like me and have a bajillion OC's, imagine how cool that would be as a super personalized collectible? :vanora_xd: but dont think about the excruciating work behind it

What would you do with your deck of OC's? Whether you're an artist or not, if you have characters you've developed in any manner, what sort of stats or bio would their card/s say? How would you depict your character in the picture?

Voltie — Tenno Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:41:43 )
This is some what related to the topic, but I had a similar idea a long time ago. But I was gonna do it like a playing card style, with the split sides. I just never did it, mostly because it ended up looking pretty bad.

But if I had to do the one with the stats on it, I guess it would depend on the character.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:46:43 )
@Queen Prisma:
Yeah, I would definitely make them as playing cards, with that Magic-esque layout. I feel like that would be the most appropriate for my characters =D

Also doesn't need to be stats in numbers. I'd probably write short one-liner descriptions of who they are. Then what kind of world they reside in, what race they are. Brief and simple so I could focus more on the picture.

Voltie — Tenno Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:48:47 )
@Seo: I'd probably do the same.
It sounds like a good and fun project, but I don't think I'd ever finish mine. xD

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:53:48 )
@Queen prisma:
haha... yeeeahh I'd probably draw one card and be done with it. Kind of like one time I wanted to make nouveau/tarot pictures of the protagonists of one story I was writing. Made one and got lazy after XD turned into a fun phone case design for a while though.

ama

Voltie — Tenno Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:56:20 )
@Seo: xD I know that feeling. But if you do happen to do the idea again, I'm sure you could do all of your characters if you were up to it. :)
Please ping me to get my attention

Pixel art by me
Click here for my twitter and other things.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 23:07:02 )
So fun fact, I have often wished I was good at art so I could actually make a tarot deck of my OCs.
I feel like I would probably use it all the time because knowing what the characters are like or what the depicted image is and means would make it a lot easier to interpret them.

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 03:32:17 )

I think this would be pretty neat. I'd like mine set up like Yu Gi Oh xD I figure I could make a decent deck with the OC's I have.

Voltie — she/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 03:37:49 )
actually this is a really neat idea! i remember my sister's friend thinking about this (because she was inspired by The Arcana and wanted her own tarot deck). I think that I have a lot of OCs, but probably not that many in variation to make a deck :0 would be interesting to make one though if I wasn't lazy xD

Donator — ...... Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 03:41:33 )
....man, I could make two full playing card decks with my OCs and still have some left over.

Donator — ~love~ Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 03:53:26 )
Oh wow I'd love to see the artwork of these cards that inspired you, I'm always up for physical evidences of my ocs! Which i only have an old album I had printed out. And I tried making a paper doll type thing but idk where that went and just forgot about it until this very moment LOL

But Hrm!! I'd love to play a game with the cards with my friends, stop them every turn to gush about each excruciating detail that went into the art, character, making the actual card etc. Ugh, I'd cry if I lost one!!!

awesome art by okios <33

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 03:58:57 )

lol on top of this, if you made it a trading card game, WOULD you trade your OC's cards for other OC's? xD

|

Donator — ...... Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 04:02:42 )
NOPE.
...well, maybe. But the only ones I'm willing to trade are like...OCs I made before I was 16.

Voltie — she/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 04:03:04 )
noooooo i love my babies :((
but if i made OCs specifically for cards to be traded maybe?? idk xD

Donator — ...... Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 04:05:02 )
I, uh, get attached to new OCs alarmingly quickly.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 04:07:44 )
Not enough ocs to make a full deck. And it would be hard to fit certain cards to certain ocs. Like I wouldn't have a king of swords. Or a 3 of cups. :/

Now if I could art better, I'd be down to making a deck for StarWars, Harry Potter, Assasins Creed, FallOut, Boarderlands. Maybe a bio shock set. Plenty of characters from those stories, and the theme would flow better if you were to make ocs for them.

Voltie — she/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 04:09:25 )
oh yeah that sounds amazing :0 Imagine like making at least a regular deck with the suits and the numbers. That would just entail 12 OCs in different suit variations, unless you'd want a different character for all 52 cards xD

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 04:15:17 )
Ooh, that is an interesting idea.
I don't really have enough OC's to make it a decent idea.
Though with less OC's it would be easier and less work. lol

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 04:37:39 )
Miss Kitty:

lol on top of this, if you made it a trading card game, WOULD you trade your OC's cards for other OC's? xD

To answer this: Maybe. Probably not my fave OCs, but more secondary type characters I might trade...

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 04:40:58 )
@Kaderin Triste: you could make characters just for the trades too. Granted, some might turn out to be characters you'd want to keep...
Then again, trading your characters doesn't need to mean you're giving them away. You could always trade the ideas. Kind of like saving someone's art to your phone because it inspires you! You're not saving it to steal and claim as yours, just for the inspiration! Same can apply to the oc trading cards.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.