Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Mini Shops Sae la Vie Gallery and Store [FULL]

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 20:27:03 )
@Lithinel: Ah no worries. Thanks for telling me about your world! I am beginning to get excited about the characters in it!

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 20:30:45 )
@saeyra: Of course! And aww, thanks. I'm glad you're getting excited. I'm starting to get a lot of characters honestly.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 21:04:00 )
@Lithinel: Have you seen the TV show called The Magicians? I love it, kinda similar to what you are describing, modern magic.

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 21:06:32 )
@saeyra: No. I haven't. I've heard of it, but never watched it. I'm usually pretty weary about starting new shows since I'm really sensitive to gore and what not. How gory/violent is it?

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 21:09:27 )
@Lithinel: Ah dont watch it then, extremely gory AND violent you wont like it :vanora_xd:

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 21:12:25 )
@Saeyra: Thanks, I will take your word for it, because I am honestly very squeamish. I don't know if you've ever watched Supernatural but that pushes my limits sometimes. So anything worse than the worst things on that show...I can't do.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 21:38:07 )
@Lithinel: Honestly though not every episode of the magicians is gory but I have been scarred by a couple really bad ones. I do know supernatural, haven't watched every episode but I have watched some episodes here and there. Its kinda similar on the gory scale. My friend who watched every episode of supernatural and the magicians says supernatural is worse. So maybe you can handle it? Most of the gore is implied but not really shown. Best to watch it with someone who has seen it before so they can tell you when to close your eyes :vanora_xd:

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 21:41:59 )
@Saeyra: I'm not sure...as I said, sometimes I have to look away from Supernatural and even skip entire episodes. I looked The Magicians up on Parents Guide to get some of the descriptions for episodes and it does seem like it may be too much for me to handle. Since it mentioned that there's something in the show where someone's eyes getting removed? Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not sure I could handle it, so I may have to pass.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 21:50:13 )
@Lithinel: Yeah that was one of the scarring episodes I mentioned. Well I get to spoil it for you then :) So the show is about some college students who get into a college version of Hogwarts called Brakebills where they get divided into houses based on what kind of powers they have, Physical, Natural, Illusion, Knowledge, Healing and Psychic. After being assigned a Discipline, students may choose to live in the corresponding dormitory for the remainder of their time at Brakebills. There is another world like Narnia where everything is done by magic so they don't even know how to do simple things like plant food. The kids eventually go there through a portal and get crowned kings and queens, so now they have to protect the world while still learning how to control their magic. I feel like the writer wrote a parody of all modern fantasy and squished it together.

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 21:57:32 )
@Saeyra: Honestly, when it comes to shows I'm iffy about, I'd rather have spoilers than to be caught off guard and scarred for life, having nightmares on end. Sometimes knowing what happens is better since I get to keep my sanity that way. It does seem like a rather interesting show, but it's just the gore I'm worried about honestly. Like if I watch it at all, I'll probably watch a few of the safe episodes, ones that don't have a lot of the gore.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 22:02:18 )
@Lithinel: Yeah I am exactly the same way, I like spoilers for violent shows like Game of Thrones and such. But hey if you are interested and can't watch the show, you can maybe read the book instead?

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 23:32:09 )
@Saeyra: Sorry for the delay again, I had to eat dinner and take a shower. But yeah, if a show is really violent and gory, I'd rather know the spoilers versus finding out for myself. My parents were watching Breaking Bad one night and I accidentally looked up at the TV at the wrong time and was pretty much scarred. :(

I may check out the book, but again it sort of depends on how descriptive the gory scenes are, because I'd rather not even imagine it if possible .

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/2 23:59:25 )
@Lithinel: Well the best thing for you then is...the wiki!!!! not scary at all :vanora_xd: But yeah I cant think of any other good modern fantasy besides the really famous ones like Harry Potter. Do you know any?

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/3 00:03:01 )
@saeyra: Haha true, the Wiki is safe and not scary at all. Have you already read The Mortal Instruments? If not I highly recommend it. There's also the Shadowhunters tv series but it isn't as good honestly. Oh and Midnight, Texas! That's really amazing.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/3 00:17:09 )
@Lithinel: I heard the Mortal Instruments was really good but I watched the movie and it turned me off. I will give it another go I guess? Haven't heard of Shadowhunters but I will give it a watch. I keep seeing Midnight, Texas on the recommended books list but I have never taken a look at it. I will check it out too thanks!

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/3 00:24:22 )
@saeyra: I think the books are definitively worth giving a shot. I haven't watched the movie, but most fans Mortal Instruments actually like the movie better than the Shadowhunters TV adaption. If you both read the books and watch the series, do not expect the tv show to be anything like the books. They changed so much from the books to the tv series it can hardly be called an adaption. It's more of like a fanfiction in show form honestly. I'm not telling to not watch Shadowhunters, I'm just saying don't expect the books and tv show to align well. Midnight, Texas is definitely amazing. I watched the show version before reading the books but the show is what made me WANT to read the books, so I'm definitely giving them a go.

And sure thing, I'm always happy to give recommendations.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/3 00:31:37 )
@Lithinel: I used to read a ton of books when I was a kid but I can't seem to allocate a huge swath of time to books like I used too. I used to disappear for days into a book and it was the most relaxing thing in the world. But nowadays, reading a book for like an hour or two and putting it down sucks too much. I wanna disappear forever into books and forget about responsibilities.

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/3 00:34:40 )
@saeyra: I definitely can understand that. Sometimes real world responsibilities have to take priority eventually. I actually have more time to read now than I did a few years ago since I'm no longer in school and don'e work (The latter due to anxiety) but sometimes my depression takes a hold and I can't find the motivation to do so.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/3 00:38:43 )
@Lithinel: Dude I watched the trailer for Midnight Texas and the dead people are scary!! :vanora_xd:

Always ping me please.

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/3 00:40:21 )
@saeyra: Haha, yeah the dead people are scary but the main characters are what makes it amazing. They're so loveable.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.