Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Reaping Ritual 2022: Hide and Shriek! Hide and Shriek | Investigation 7: Myraj

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 20:59:11 )

Officer Garry waits under a streetlight for his fellow officers to arrive. As they approach, he gives them a slight wave and smile.

"Good job finding evidence of Vontell down at the Ampere River, Garry...you did well." He gives Garry a proud pat on the shoulder, making Garry rub the back of his neck, somewhat bashful.

"You uh...can thank the others for that... they're the ones who found everything..." He trails off slightly, frowning.

"Should I try hitting up his landline again?" Officer Milly yawned, already tapping into her phone before the others could respond, "I'd really like to save ourselves the trouble of walking all the way there."

"Don't see why not..." Officer JC sighs, looking around the dark, empty streets of the city, "It's been a while, you'd think he would have picked up by now if he was home... I'm beginning to wonder if-"

"Hello?" Everyone immediately stops in their tracks, listening in, "Yes, hi, Vontell Cappala? This is Officer Milly with the VPD. Hold on, I'm putting you on speaker phone."

She pulls her phone back from her ear, shooting JC a smug 'told you so' expression before tapping the button on screen.

"Hello... I apologize..." Vontell sounds out of breath, "I've just arrived home and I'm exhausted, I've had quite a night..."

"So we saw," JC sighs, "We're glad to hear you're safe. We found evidence of a struggle down by the river and found some of your personal belongings. Are you alright?"

"Oh!" Vontell laughs faintly, "Yes, right. I'm sorry if I caused a commotion, I'm fine. I just had a little confrontation with a rather wily Grindylok, but I made it out safely."

"Grindylok..." JC frowns, running his chin, "You don't suppose that's a suspect in this case, do you? It would answer a few questions..."

"Hm. But raise a few more, right?" Milly shrugs, "Heard that before."

"I wondered that as well, which is why I decided to conduct a little investigation of my own..." There's a moment of silence, and Vontell quickly picks up on the air of disapproval, "Foolishly, I may add! Regardless, I can safely say that while troublesome, it is not our culprit. Did you happen to find my notes?"

Notes? JC and Milly look at each other in confusion, before glancing back at Garry, who just smiles and shrugs innocently.

"My notes go over my own private investigation into this. I'm a bit of an expert into strange occurrences around this city, you see. And after eliminating the Grindylok there's only one more lead I have..."

"Which is...?" JC asks, trying so hard to be patient, but feeling so desperate for answers.

Vontell's calm voice turns deathly serious, "A shapeshifter. And by all accounts, a clever one. It's known as Myraj and you should be careful, officers. It can take the form of humans... My theory is that it's been staying very close to your investigation. Why else would it always be one step ahead?"

"Close...?" JC glances back at the other two, his brow creasing, "How close...?"

"Close enough to tamper with evidence. Close enough to lead you down an incorrect path. And close enough to keep tabs on all the information you know... I would be careful with whom you share this knowledge with.."

But it was too late for the officers to heed Vontell's warning, because the creature had heard. JC and Milly could only watch in horror as "Officer Garry" made himself known.

"Hey... Dudes... Case closed..."

art by ghost

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 20:59:32 )

I was only a child when I first had my encounter with the shifting creature. But I remember it vividly, all these years later...

Only five years of age at most, I was in the woods playing, as I often did. Alone. I found comfort in my time spent wandering the meadows that peaked through tree lines. I spent much of my time imagining scenarios and friends that would accompany me on my journeys, as I climbed over the rocks in heroic conquests, or slayed beasts with the legendary blades forged by the Guardian's themselves.

One day, however...I found that I wasn't entirely alone. Someone - or perhaps, something - was out here. Waiting.

I remember it clearly: I had just found the lair of the feared dragon whom I had promised the King I would slay. It was a small cave, hidden by the overgrowth of vines and vegetation from the forest. I approached the cave, nervously...but I knew this was my duty.

I made my way inside, and to my relief, there was nothing but an empty space. Water dripped from the rock walls, and the only creature inside was a small rodent. I remember smiling softly, approaching to offer it my knightly assistance. To my horror, I watched as the small creature glanced up at me; limbs growing from its body, disfigured, distorted - it had an almost oozing presence as the form changed. In seconds, what was once a small and fragile little animal was now an eerily large and gruesome creature. Eyes plastered its entire body, shifting around on its skin every time they shut. Its head was split into multiple sections, with jaws that had rows of the sharpest teeth I had ever seen. The body itself was changing in color almost as constantly as the whole form itself was morphing.

In my horror, I dropped my weapon and ran. I ran as fast as I could, desperate to leave - to flee, to go anywhere. Anywhere but here!

I glanced back, hopeful I was not followed. But that was not the case. The creature began to change once more - no longer a large, mangled mass of shimmering ooze, but rather now a form that was more familiar to me. A deer? It caught up to me, running at my side. It seemed...almost curious of me.

I paused, wondering if perhaps...I was quick to judge this creature. It stopped as well, looking at me with beady eyes. I reached my hand out, patting it on the snout. It stood in silence for a moment, studying me. I felt...a sense of ease come over me. Perhaps I had just imagined everything. Perhaps I had overreacted. Perhaps I--and then, blackness.

The snout of the creature morphed, encasing my hand in the odd substance, traveling rapidly up my limb. Within seconds, I was fully engulfed in it. Yelling. Screaming. Desperate. Oh, how desperate I was to escape. For someone to rescue me, the brave knight who was sent to slay the beast for the kingdom.

But no help came.

Yes, I was only a child when I had my encounter with the shifting creature. And I stayed that child for many years. I went to the markets. I went to school. I played with other children. But no one ever knew what happened to me that day. No one ever knew who I actually was.

I was a child. I was a bird. I was the teacher; the clerk at the market; the dog that slept at your feet.

I was Myraj.

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 21:00:17 )
M E C H A N I C S

The creature has revealed itself and made its true form known to the VPD. Unfortunately, it seems as though it was posing as Officer Garry this whole time! Feeling cornered, it's ready to attack!

Monster Task Force - this is your moment. This is when you are needed most. It’s up to you to help take this Myraj creature down so it cannot harm anyone else!

This is a collaborative activity. Users will need to work together to help bring down this foe! Rally your fellow Monster Task Force team members to help fight!

Use the “random number generator” to generate a number between 1 and 1000.
  • Click on the “new reply” button located at either the top left hand corner of the thread, or at the bottom of the thread above the “smilies” content box.

• Under the “Post options” drop down menu (located next to the BBCode formatting buttons, above the main post box), select “random number generator” from the list.

• In the bottom left hand corner, under the “smilies” content box, there will be a new content box that appears. This is where you will fill in your number ranges. In this scenario, you will type “1” into the “Start” box, and “1000” into the “End” box.

• Fill your post reply as you normally would. When you publish your post, it will now show a number on top. This is your RNG’d number.

• Different numbers will do different damage amounts, provide buffs, or may even benefit Myraj.
    See the next post for these stats.

To defeat Myraj, its HP must be fully depleted. This will unlock the Myraj item for purchase in Joyful Jamboree. Only the first level is needed to do this. There will be a total of five levels to fight, however; the following levels will act as bonus levels. After each level’s HP gauge is depleted, the next level will start at full health. Defeating each level will give participants additional rewards.

First Level 100 HP - Myraj granted
    Second Level 200 HP - 400 evidence granted
    Third Level 300 HP - 2 goodie bags granted
    Fourth Level 400 HP - event bundle granted
    Fifth Level 500 HP - rewards doubled

Additionally, you may see some familiar faces come in to help aid and assist the Monster Task Force members through the duration of this.

Gather your gear and ready your defenses - the battle begins!

Users will have until December 23rd to damage Myraj before the thread activity is closed. The final closing story will be released at the end of the event.

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 21:00:59 )
    B O S S
      B A T T L E

CURRENT LEVEL: FIVE

(0/500 HP)

MYRAJ HAS BEEN DEFEATED - to earn rewards, roll for "cleanup"

DAMAGE ROLLS
      Odd number rolls will do 10 damage*
      Even number rolls will do 20 damage*
      HEALTH ROLLS
      Intervals of 25 (25, 50, 75, 100, 125, etc.) will heal Myraj for 20 health.**
      SUPPORT ROLLS
      500 or 1000 - doubles the damage/health of the next roll

* Excludes the health roll numbers
      ** Excludes 500 or 1000

0 1 2 9 9 0 1 8 1 2 3 0
      Clover generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 129
      Voltie — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 21:32:16 )
      -throws hot tea on the Myraj-

0 4 2 4 9 3 1 3 1 5 3 5
      Count Trashula generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 424
      Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 21:48:27 )

the real monster was the friends we made along the way :^)

ALWAYS PING ME

0 5 8 4 9 4 7 3 1 6 9 5
      Trixie Kay generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 584
      Donator — Pomepome Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 21:52:46 )
      Drained the Myraj some blood!
      +Pls ping me+
      Nothing Fancy to see here!

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:02:29 )

MONSTER TASK FORCE STATUS UPDATE!
      Since the last update, Myraj has:

been damaged 4 times! For a total of 70 damage!
      been healed 0 times! For a total of 0 health!

Monster Task Force has:
      Buffed their allies 0 times!

Myraj is now at 30/100 health!

Keep up the great work, everyone!

0 6 9 9 9 5 8 8 1 7 0 0
      blue generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 699
      Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:29:43 )
        Ah, what a nuisance.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:37:24 )
        Give him a little kiss, as a treat

0 2 4 1 9 1 3 0 1 3 5 2
      sunny generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 241
      Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:38:30 )
        Oops

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
      beanie doll! thank u cookie

0 0 3 0 9 9 2 9 1 1 4 1
      Fizzgig generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 30
      Donator — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:42:19 )

Hopin' I don't help the enemy.

0 4 1 6 9 3 0 5 1 5 2 7
      blue generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 416
      Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:46:26 )
        @Fizzgig: //can't help but laugh, covering her face with her broom
        That's the hope, right?

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:51:19 )

been damaged 3 times! For a total of 30 damage!

Monster Task Force has:

Myraj is now at 0/100 health!

Great work, everyone! The Myraj item has been released into shops and those who have participated so far will receive the item in their inventories.

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:53:37 )

Myraj has undergone a shift! Its health is replenished and is now at
      LEVEL 2

MYRAJ HEALTH: 180/200

0 6 7 6 9 5 6 5 1 7 8 7
      blue generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 676
      Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:56:20 )
        Oh my.

0 1 0 4 9 0 9 3 1 2 1 5
      TeaTales generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 104
      Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:57:18 )
      Lets get this game started * arms self with snowballs*

0 4 0 2 9 3 9 1 1 5 1 3
      blue generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 402
      Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 22:58:44 )
        Do you suppose we'll get to see all of its levels?

Npc Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 23:09:46 )

been damaged 4 times! For a total of 80 damage!

Monster Task Force has:

Myraj is now at 120/200 health!

Keep up the great work, everyone!

0 5 2 3 9 4 1 2 1 6 3 4
      Clover generated a random number between 1 and 1000; Resulting In 523
      Voltie — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/21 23:16:34 )
      We must keep fighting!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
      Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
      Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.