Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Help & Support Question regarding section of forum rules

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 07:44:07 )
Greetings,

I thought I would host a "movie night" hangout but realized it might be against the rules, as according to this:

8. Illegal content is strictly forbidden on Voltra Online. This includes but is not limited to: movie streaming sites, torrenting sites, or hosted copyright material such as manga scans.

If the video content was obtained legally and streamed to a small audience (<25 users), would that fall under this rule; in other words, may I absolutely not host a movie night?

Cheers and thank you for your clarification.

Donator — Female Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 09:49:09 )
I think they are talking about those illegal websites that upload movies.

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 10:47:09 )
I think you're probably right, but I want to be absolutely sure before I hold a movie-watching event. :x

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 10:52:45 )
Hey, I can speak to this before I head off for the night. Steaming copyrighted content is a pretty big legal grey area, and Voltra doesn't currently employ any attorneys that specialize in that area, so we don't want to accidentally step into a legal issue. That's why we ask that you don't post links to those kinds of things. We aren't going to stop you from organizing something on your own offsite, obviously, but would ask that such an event not be hosted on Voltra and open the site to legal liability. We're terribly sorry for the inconvenience!
Luna Chandra
Please let me exchange goods and/or services for art. <3

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/9 10:56:59 )
@Slytherclaw: Hey, thank you so much for your response! That's perfectly fine; I'm glad I asked before hosting an event! Definitely don't want to cause any trouble for you guys, so I'll see about locking the hangout I started. ^_^
dear Lord I need a new signature someone help me

Donator — she/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/17 21:11:35 )
I believe you have to get signed permission and pay for the right to show movies and shows. I.e. a theater pays and gets permits to show movies. So my understanding is that it's not legal to stream them.

It's unlikely that a movie company will track down every stream of 10 people or whatever. But I'm pretty sure it's illegal, whether you're caught or not. So like Sly said, next not to test any legal boundaries. XD
Find me @ PlayWithErica on instagram, twitch, youtube, and discord.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.