Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I tried Graham Crackers for the first time (& other American snacks)

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 18:47:43 )
@Totalanimefan: Oooh, cornbread is good! I love cornbread! Especially from this one particular place, and I haven't had it in so long T_T
Root beer is definitely hit and miss, and everyone has their favourite. I'm personally partial to A&W root beer, but I'll drink Mug or Barq's if there's no other options. Although I ordered delivery from A&W a couple days ago and the fountain rootbeer tasted really weird...
I've had friends tell me it tastes like toothpaste xD

@sunny: We stayed in the Bayswater area, visited the British Museum twice (and it still wasn't enough!), one of the Imperial War museums, Hyde Park, 221B Baker Street, Abbey Road studios (my dad and I are Beatles fans), we rode the London Eye, I talked people into going to the Museum of Modern Art. I think we might've gone to the National Gallery as well? It was back in 2008 so I'm having trouble remembering without looking at our photos xDD

We also spent a week in Penzance, Cornwall while we were there! Penzance was amazing, and even more like home because it was right on the seaside! It's crazy how things have hardly changed their in 200 years (we visited a local museum and saw photos from the 1800s). We also went on this amazing tour of some of the historical sites, but sadly the guy who ran that has since passed away =(

Maple

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 18:53:27 )

@Alchemists Fire: Hey long time no chat!
I could totally go for some cornbread right now lol.
I like A&W. There is a brand that not easy to find called Hanks that I really love. Growing up I also liked IBC, but they changed their recipe

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 19:20:02 )
@Totalanimefan: Hey! It's been a very long time, good to see you!!
Cornbread sounds awesome right now, I wish I knew more places to get it!
I don't think we have Hanks or IBC here. Dad's is one of the other rootbeer brands I like, but it's not very common I don't think?

Maple

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 19:50:27 )

@Alchemists Fire: It's nice to see you too.
It was even hard for me to find in Cali which I thought was weird.
Where are you that you can only find some kinds of Root beer?

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 21:10:19 )
@Totalanimefan: Not in the US xD so generally our selection isn't as vast as the US gets
We don't even get vanilla coke anymore T_T

Maple

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 21:35:07 )

@Alchemists Fire: I haven't seen Vanilla Coke in years and I live in the US, I think they keep it really limited and only make it sometimes.

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 22:54:54 )
@Totalanimefan: I almost feel like it depends where you shop, like when I've been down in Portland visiting my boyfriend we've had times where we can't find vanilla coke at Wal-mart but it's at Target or Safeway.

That's very possible though, and I don't know if there have been supply chain issues with it at all.

But yeah, one thing I've definitely noticed about the difference between home and the States is the amount of variety available in US supermarkets is astounding xD

Maple

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 23:45:10 )

@Alchemists Fire: Oh I didn't know that you could still find it in same places. I haven't seen it in forever. Not at our Targets or Safeways ^^; Maybe it's regional?
Yes there is! When I moved from FL to CA and I was like, why can't I find this or that? I was pretty shocked.

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/4 17:06:06 )
@Totalanimefan: Yup, it's still around, at least in Oregon!
I'm surprised FL and CA would be that different, but I guess different coasts maybe different tastes/demographics?
I've only really spent time in Washington and Oregon because of where my boyfriend lives, and the biggest thing I notice is how small the international food sections are compared to what I'm used to at home - but they both have pretty good sized Mexican food sections, which is just fine by me!!

I know one thing that really surprised me is how difficult it is to find plum sauce in the grocery stores we were shopping in because there aren't a lot of Asian foods. We might have better luck in Oregon than we did in Central Washington though xDD

Maple

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/4 17:17:05 )

@Alchemists Fire: I guess CA to FL is 3,000 miles away from each other, maybe some brands are more popular on the east coast and not so much on the west coast?
I do like it when places have a good international section. I get tired of making just 'white people' food, you know? Gotta change it up. I can't find plum sauce either. You can try looking for Hosin. That might help. It's also hard to find Oyster sauce too. Finally found it at an Asian supermarket. They were out of MSG though. I wanted that too.

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/8 04:48:12 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah, pretty far! Definitely enough that preferences are gonna be different. This is completely an assumption, but I would suspect more Cuban things in Florida and more Mexican things in Cali.

I also appreciate when places have a good international section, I also get tired of "white people food", LMAO. I need variety in my food, I need all the different yummy flavours.
Hmm, hoisin wouldn't be the same as plum sauce. And to be fair I wanted plum sauce for dipping chicken strips in xD I'm not a big fan of fish or fish flavoured things, so I wouldn't go for oyster sauce myself. Mmm...I wouldn't add MSG to anything, don't need any extra sodium. Although I don't really know what the purposes of adding it to dishes is XD

Maple

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/8 05:03:25 )

@Alchemists Fire: yeah hoisin and plum are only similar but they aren’t the same. I went to H-Mart yesterday and thought of you while I was there. Maybe there is one near you? If not the internet is your friend.
I hate eating real oysters but oyster sauce adds the prefect flavor when making stir fry (noodles or rice or veggies). It’s a cooking sauce. Not really a dipping one.
As for MSG you add just the smallest pinch of it (instead of salt) and it makes your food taste more umami like. Easy to overdo it though.

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/8 05:09:46 )
@Totalanimefan: The grocery stores where I'm from typically have pretty decent international food sections. The one I shop at actually has separate Asian food and Mexican food aisles. No issue finding plum sauce at home, it's in the US I can't find it - my boyfriend wanted some after trying it while he was visiting me.

I'd never looked, but I think there are a few H marts around, but it sounds like there's only 3 of them in the entire metropolitan area I live in, and none of them are close to me XDD

Maple

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/8 05:13:46 )

@Alchemists Fire: that sucks that H-mart is so far away. They would have exactly what you are looking for. There are online stores that would ship plum sauce to your door. Just use google (and your best judgment lol)

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/8 20:14:49 )
@Totalanimefan: Haha, I have no trouble finding plum sauce in the grocery store I regularly shop in. It's my boyfriend that can't find it (we don't live in the same country)
Maple

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/8 20:46:06 )

@Alchemists Fire: Oh I see. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding there. I thought that you two lived together, but that was an assumption on my part. What country is he in?

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/8 23:23:01 )

heyyyy I currently have angry digestive system issues specifically caused by flaming hot cheetos (with lime) \o/
Hahahaha
but yeah I think there's a bunch of onion powder in a lot of our crispy treats, like that.

Next maybe you ought to try candied yams! That's that baked yam (or sweet potato) dish with a layer of marshmallows on top XD

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/9 00:13:12 )
@Totalanimefan: He's in the US, which I thought I had mentioned a couple of times ^^; I'm not

Might be my bad, i thought i had said when we were visiting each other, but maybe I forgot. I've been trying to be kinda vague about my own location and i guess it's led to confusion. I'm in Canada and my boyfriend is in the US.

Maple

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/9 04:05:58 )

@Alchemists Fire: ah I see. It must have been when you were visiting him and then I misunderstood. Sorry about that lol.
I see. Now I understand and will try to remember that. ^^

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/9 06:56:42 )
@Totalanimefan: All good! I'll try and be clearer next time too, sorry about the confusion!

Currently dressed as: Christmas Maple

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.