Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Starry’s Hangout

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 00:27:07 )

@Totalanimefan: Thank-you! c:

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 01:04:28 )

@Anarchist Beauty: np, you know I love your work!

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 02:41:56 )
@Feral: Oof, I hear you on the pockets issue! I don't buy shorts or pants without them anymore!! Also my toddler son has more pockets on his clothes than a lot of women's clothes. MAKE. IT. MAKE. SENSE. What on earth could a toddler need pockets for?!

@Starry: lol I might be able to get away with just shaving to right above my knees, but I haven't tried that.

Oooh, I should check out that subreddit because it amuses me finding niche things like that. xDD I hardly post on reddit, more like browse to pass the time lol. That's pretty amusing about the Planter's jars and Dollar Tree stuff! I often wonder how long it takes a thrift store to process and put something on their shelves, because I've never seen anything I've donated put on the shelves. Either they must take forever to process, or they toss it for some reason, or it somehow flies off the shelves before I see it? Either way, I'm very curious. I too have a bunch of clothes that don't quite fit but are too sentimental to donate. And the meme is quite relevant. xP

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 03:11:46 )

@Totalanimefan: Thank-ya, thank-ya!
        Been awhile since I actually made a banner, too.
        Sadly my top customer in my shop left the site a couple months ago.
        Now I've got nothing to do. XD

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 04:05:58 )
@pashminapanda: Hiii, sorry I just saw your post! I'm okay, just been up to my usual (anime/reading/gaming). I started playing a game called Littlewood and it's pretty cute and fun so far. It reminds me a bit of Animal Crossing. ^^

@totalanimefan: I saw, that sounds like so much fun! I haven't done anything social irl since the 4th of July, lol. Kinda sucks but at least I have a concert next month to look forward to. :D

@anarchist beauty: Ahhh, thanks! I'll definitely add it to the first post! :frizz-celebrate:

@aisukohi: Lol I'm jealous of your toddler's pants! And yeah, I love browsing Reddit but I have too much social anxiety to post anything myself. Plus the people on that subreddit are all about either brand name stuff (which I know nothing about cause I have no fashion sense), or weird stuff, which I haven't found too much of myself. I think most high fashion stuff is fugly so I'm mostly there for the weird/strange/gross stuff people find. :p I've wondered about the thrift store process myself. I think a lot of stuff does possibly get tossed or donated to a Goodwill outlet (dunno if you have one in your area, but basically it's like a warehouse full of giant bins with crap just dumped in and stuff is sold by the pound. I've found stuff both times I've been, but also in the bins are broken stuff and literal animal turds in there... sooo yeah. ). I think the outlets are where stuff ends up if a store doesn't have sufficient room on the shelves.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 04:21:07 )

@Starry: Aw yay!
        Glad you like it. ^-^
        I'll take any excuse to use Starry Night for something.
        It's my favorite painting.
        I've got a poster of it on my wall, though I'd really love to get a canvas print of it.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 17:07:04 )

@Anarchist Beauty: Sad.
I do feel like there aren't a lot of newer hangouts, so I'm sure that your shop isn't that busy. People tend to just join what is already around.

@Starry: Oh nice! Who are you going to see?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 19:04:34 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah, I haven't had any orders in forever.
        But that's okay, I'm not dying for volts so it doesn't bother me too bad.
        Plus, like here, I'll still make freebies if I'm inspired just to keep my skills up to snuff. lol
        Been thinking of making a whole new set for myself to make a new avi closet thread.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 19:51:32 )

@Anarchist Beauty: New set for your threads sounds nice ^^

I'm also not hurting for volts. I think it's pretty nice that things on Voltra are affordable.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 20:09:17 )

@Totalanimefan: Whenever I find the motivation for that... lmao

It is nice that things are decently priced.
        Plus with the spam threads, it's fairly easy to earn volts.
        Even for me, who only uses her spam thread when I watch movies and shows. XD
        It's a nice place to drop all my various thoughts when watching something.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 21:34:05 )

@Anarchist Beauty: I'm also a big fan of the undercurrent too. Nice place to go for notes, or when Voltra is slow.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/4 00:12:48 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah, that's where my watch thread is.
        Spam all daaaaay. lol

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/4 19:32:25 )
@anarchist beauty: Cool! I like the painting too. Hope you can get that canvas print one day.

@totalanimefan: I'm going to go see The Birthday Massacre. I've seen them a couple times before and their shows are always high energy and fun. ^^

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/4 20:11:56 )

@Anarchist Beauty: Heck yeah!
@Starry: Oh that's cool. I hope you like it.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/6 15:17:13 )
@Starry: I'm not much for high fashion stuff either. Once I went to a store in Atlanta, I don't even remember what it was called, but figured out it was one of those high fashion stores because they wanted $100 for a plain white onesie for an infant. x-x Wtf. I will say that some of the name brand stuff is nice, but I don't care for the vast majority of it. I have a pair of Michael Kors boots that I absolutely adore, but that's probably the most expensive thing I have lol. Miiiight look at splurging on a Kate Spade bag sometime since I like a few of the designs. I've never been to a Goodwill outlet, but that sounds interesting other than the random turds. xP I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to buy one of those bins when I have bins of stuff I could easily get rid of myself haha.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/6 19:06:12 )
@aisukohi: That's crazy. High fashion stuff for babies is even weirder to me cause babies grow so fast and they don't care what they're wearing, so I don't get people who spend like $100 on some shoes for a baby lol. Or those brands that purposely make clothes that look dirty and worn out but cost like $300. The most expensive pair of shoes I own is my pair of Dr. Martins but they still cost like 1/3 of other brands of shoes that I see people regularly shell out money for all the time. I don't know what Kate Spade bags look like but I recognize that brand as being popular on that subreddit too lol. The only brand I like a lot is Tokidoki, but all my stuff came from the thrift stores and even brand new their stuff is way cheaper than like LV or Chanel or whatever. All my other stuff is just random brands and a lot of stuff is just from Wal Mart or Target or whatever, but I guess that makes it easier for me at thrift stores since I'm not looking for the same kind of stuff other people are looking for, haha. Besides, a lot of name brand stuff is just like a shirt with the brand's name on it and I'm not interested in dressing like a billboard.

Yeah, that's understandable lol. They do advise you to bring gloves for that reason. But I think a lot of stuff dumped there isn't necessarily stuff that was rejected by other thrift stores but just random stuff that they didn't have room for or didn't have time to sort through or whatever. But since it's by weight, it's super cheap. I think last time I went I found a shirt and a manga and it was like ~$2 for both of those when it'd probably cost around $5-7 at the actual thrift store. Definitely a different experience than a typical thrift shopping experience, but of course it also depends on your location too.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/7 15:11:51 )
@Starry: Right?! I buy most of my son's clothes second-hand because he fits them for like a minute anyway lol. Yeah I laugh at the expensive clothes that have holes in them. Like I could DIY that and not spend near as much money. xD I love Doc Martens and have a couple pairs, and wouldn't mind a couple more. I've had a Tokidoki bag before, so I recognize that brand and think it's cute. I'm the same way when it comes to brand names...I don't care to be a walking billboard. My Michael Kors boots have the name across the back of the boots, but you can hardly see it because they kinda blended it in with the material of the boot. I love finding brand new stuff with tags still on it in the thrift stores, which is hard to come by sometimes.

That makes sense about bringing gloves, but even then, I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try that. xD I love thrift store shopping in general though.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/7 23:35:24 )
@aisukohi: My friend has a toddler and buys all her clothes second hand too lol. Yeah, I often find stuff new with tags on at the thrift store... even though the tags are from like Kohls or whatever, it's still cool to see how much the article cost originally. Like one time I found a sweater but it was $20.... it still had the tag on it and it was originally $60, but I still thought that's pretty expensive for a thrifted sweater so I didn't buy it. It's crazy how sometimes you find stuff that the thrift store is charging more for than the original price though lol. I got a Rugrats hoodie that still had the Wal Mart tag on it and the thrift store was charging $10, which was the original Wal Mart price. But it was half off that day at least.
I wouldn't mind a couple more pairs of Docs, and I get jealous of all the people on that ThriftFinds subreddit who find them for like less than $20. I got mine at the thrift store and they looked unworn, but I also paid about as much as they'd be brand new so that was kinda a bummer, but I had been thinking about buying the same color for a while and they were in my size so I bit the bullet. It's rare that I find shoes in my size, as I've mentioned before I have big feet. Last time I went I found a pair of Vans in a similar pattern to a pair I have, but they were 1 size too small. :( And the pair I already have is half a size too small already since I got them thrifted too. I was like "well, they're only $5 and I can squeeze my feet in them if I wear thin socks" but I talked myself out if it since I should just save that money to buy shoes in my actual size and have comfortable feet lol.

That's understandable, haha. I love it too, though I try to buy less stuff nowadays. Still fun to browse, though, and sometimes you find interesting things.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/7 23:43:20 )
@Starry: Yeah even in thrift stores, I make sure to pay attention to the price tags. Sometimes things do have silly prices like you mentioned, but I love finding steals too. There were some clothes before that I almost bought, but talked myself out of them because they didn't quite fit right, or I didn't absolutely love the piece even if it wasn't that expensive. I'm picky when it comes to buying thrifted shoes, and a lot of the ones I come by in my size are too worn for me to want to buy. I used to be against buying sleepwear secondhand, but I found this night gown that I absolutely love, and it hardly look used, so went ahead and bought it.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/8 00:54:14 )
@aisukohi: Yeah, I've had to become more picky as I've accumulated more clothes. I have a habit of grabbing something if I like it, then as I walk around browsing I kinda make a mental list weighing the pros and cons and a lot of the time I end up putting the item back. Now I try just to not shop in the sizes that would be too big, but with vanity sizing I end up looking at like a range of 3 sizes because brands sizing seems to be all over the place lol. I see that a lot with shoes too. I finally found a decent pair of tennis shoes in my size that looked barely worn, but for a while every pair looked pretty worn out and raggity. I've been considering buying a pair of pajamas and found a cute pair in my size at Goodwill recently, but I already have so many t shirts and pajama pants that I'm like just 'just sleep in those, you don't need to spend money on clothes you'll only sleep in when you can just wear the same ones you can also wear outside'... unless I find a pair I absolutely love of course.

My main problem is hoodies... I have too many already but that's a section I always browse when I go shopping, haha.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.