Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Starry’s Hangout

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/26 14:26:59 )

Thought it’d be fun to make a hangout of my own. Especially since I’m still pretty new and shy. Figured if I’m bored and rambley I have a place to ramble on now lol

How’s everyone doing today? I’ve been cleaning my house lately and kinda going on a nostalgia trip. I organized all my old anime mags from the early-mid 00s and kinda flipped through them and remembered all the stuff I used to watch back in middle and high school. Also I’ve been enjoying the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot. I reread the manga recently, and it’s definitely childish but it was the first manga series I bought so it’s special to me.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/26 14:27:37 )
A little about me

I’m a girl in her 30s who’s socially awkward and not great at socializing but is trying to do more of that this year. I love anime, cartoons, music (mostly rock, jpop and K-pop but ofc I like other stuff too), animals, plushies, kawaii things, food, and pastel goth fashion. I used to go on Gaia a lot in HS but I haven’t been active on any avatar sites lately so you probably don’t know me from anywhere else. Things I have too much of irl include t shirts, plushies, CDs and manga. I have two cats currently. In the past I’ve had 6 rats, a parakeet, a turtle and 2 other cats. I used to draw a lot but I don’t much these days. I like looking at cute animals and 90s nostalgia stuff, so feel free to post those kinds of things here, haha.]

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/26 14:32:09 )
might put other stuff here later, but for now here's a meme that made me lol

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/26 17:43:07 )

@Starry: Hey, if you want we are move our convo to here. Just reply to me ^^

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/26 18:10:34 )
@totalanimefan: Sure, let's do that. ^^ So I was kinda trying to learn Jpn for a while back in HS. But it's a lot of effort for something I probably wouldn't use much except for within my own hobbies. I do know bits and pieces still and can follow little kid manga and easy songs at least lol. I've kept my iTunes library in Japanese, rather than romanji, since like 2004 so it forces me to remember how to read katakana and hiragana at least. I would love to visit Japan one day but I think I'll be okay without being fluent. I mostly wanted to learn because I was very into the music and wanted to read articles with artists I like, or understand video interviews and lyrics. But these days I don't follow many bands or singers, even though I still love all the music I listened to back then.

I also was teaching myself Spanish for a while. I took it in school for a few years and then was the teacher's assistant, so practiced more by grading papers. Then about a decade ago when I lived in CA I started learning it again because my area had a high Hispanic population. It's way way easier to go from English to Spanish than to Japanese! Haha. Especially since the alphabet is the same, it's phonetic, and a lot of the words are very similar to the English word. Unfortunately I've forgotten a lot since moving back, but I did retain a lot too. I can do pretty okay when it comes to reading, but I don't remember enough to be able to speak much. Maybe I'll take it back up again one day, though. My ex was Hispanic and showed me a lot of cool Spanish music that I still listen to, and teaching myself the translations of songs I like helps.

I wish I had grown up bilingual. Whenever I can read something not in English and understand it, I feel like I'm unlocking a secret code or something lol.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/26 18:56:08 )

@Starry: yeah Spanish is very close to English. Japanese is very different or it’s much harder. (From English)
That’s cool that you learned so much. You actually know a lot more than you think. With Japanese I often think of what I don’t know instead of thinking about all that I learned. ^^;

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/26 19:45:24 )
@totalanimefan: That's understandable, but you know a lot I'm sure. ^^ Heck, I still learn new words and stuff in English and it's the only language I know; languages are so expansive, I respect anyone who can become fluent in more than one.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/27 01:05:26 )
Starry:
@aisukohi: That’s understandable, though one of the reasons I want to be up front on the rail is so I have something to hold on to if things get wild! Haha. I love heavy music but I try to avoid mosh pits. I don’t wanna get shoved around and risk my glasses or other belongings getting destroyed, plus it’s just not my thing. At the festival I mentioned before the headlining bands on day 3 were Arctic Monkeys and Foo Fighters, and everyone shoved forward and security was pulling people out from the front who were trying to escape.

Thanks, I’m definitely looking forward to the show. ^_^ That show sounds awesome. I’m unfamiliar with Mothe but I know some songs by girlhouse and The Wrecks that I like.

I feel you on that. I’m glad dressing rooms are open again because I’ve recently lost a lot of weight, and between that and vanity sizing I have to try on everything in person and am worried when I order stuff online that it’ll be too big. I should really learn how to alter stuff too. Most of my clothes look like tents now, but I have a lot of concert Ts that I can’t just replace, so I just tuck my tent shirt into my skinny jeans and rock the mom look. XD The one good thing about shoes is usually the sizes are consistent, unlike clothing.

Also I decided to make a hangout thread if either if you wanna chat with me there :3 if not it’s all good too, lol, feeling kinda bored and chatty this morning g. https://www.voltra.us/forum/view_topic/13542

Moving the conversation from your other thread to here!

Makes a lot of sense to want to be close to the rails, but that would suck to have to be rescued by security like that since you'd probably lose your place for good. x-x Those bands you mentioned are definitely popular, so not surprised people behaved like that. I'd say Mothe's energy is somewhere in a happy medium between girlhouse and The Wrecks, actually. Favorite songs include Debt Collector, It's Okay to Be Lonely, and Dancing on an Empty Floor.

Yesss, I'm so glad dressing rooms are open again too, and I feel the same way about shopping online for clothes! I hate the idea of having to return something, so rather shop and try on things in person. I've seen some pretty neat tee alteration videos on Youtube that you might check out for your band tees? I've been meaning to alter some of my old ones as well because I refuse to let go of them too. xD

Also the 90s mall meme you made is gold. xDD I legit miss when Hot Topic sold a lot of that stuff they're wearing.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/27 03:43:17 )
@aisukohi: True, it did suck when everyone shoved forward and I can see why people would rather get out than end up being suffocated. I'll look up those songs later. ^^

If I do buy clothes online, I measure myself to compare with the provided size chart and look at buyer photos when available trying to find people who are around my size to see what size they bought, haha. But some stuff even if it does fit might look weird on my body, so I'd still rather try stuff on. I don't even own any sewing stuff right now, but I need to look into that for sure. I like loose clothes, but there's a point where it feels like I'm wearing a dress instead of a shirt.

I still have a lot of the stuff I bought at Hot Topic when I was a teen. XD It was literally only last year when I finally got rid of all my old Lip Service and Tripp pants with all the chains and straps in their glory. I do actually still like the selection nowadays, but it does sometimes feel funny to be in a HT looking at Hello Kitty or Kpop stuff when back in the day it was always dark inside and they'd be blasting Slipknot or something lol. My first band shirt was a Korn shirt from HT, and if my father's ex-wife didn't get rid of it years ago I'd totally still wear it.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/29 00:32:51 )
@Starry: I think the worst crowd I've been in so far was for a Hollywood Undead concert at Rockville. Was probably not even 10 rows back, but some dudes kept pushing against the crowd trying to start a pit, so we kept getting crushed and it was godawfully annoying. So much that I was distracted trying to keep my glasses on and didn't get to enjoy the show much. If I was closer to the dudes who started that garbage, I'd have thrown elbows to faces, to be honest.

I feel like I suck at measuring myself lol. Like I tried measuring my bra size by myself just to be sure I was doing it right, and it seemed really off, so I guess I might need to be professionally measured. But yeaaah, I hate when something looks cute on the rack but looks weird on my body. I wear a mix of loose and form-fitting clothes, depending on my mood. I won't wear crop tops because I'm self-conscious about my stomach, so I get annoyed shopping in the juniors section and like 80% of their tops are crop tops now. I WANT THE REST OF MY SHIRT!!

I have a lot of older Hot Topic stuff too!! I miss some of my Tripp pants and fashion corsets, pretty much all of which I outgrew and got rid of. I wish zippered corsets were still a thing because all the ones I find in person or online are like the ones you lace up, which I don't have the patience for. It's harder for me to find band tees I like in Hot Topic, but sometimes I might buy them online since fit doesn't quite matter as much. I'm sorry about your Korn shirt being gone. </3 I hate losing good clothes. There's a few clothes that have mysteriously gone missing over the years and I wonder about them sometimes because they were my favorites.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/30 00:21:12 )
@aisukohi: Ugh, I hate crowd-goers like that. :s Nothing worse than pushy annoying people. I saw Halestorm a few years ago and this dude and two girls shoved their way right in front of me, and they were all like a foot taller than me, kept shouting to each other during the show and one of them stank of B.O. >.>

I'm not sure if I've ever had a bra that's the right size cause they all seem to fit badly on me, even when I tried to measure myself. XD Nowadays I mostly just wear bralettes. They're more comfortable to me than standard bras, and I don't need much support cause I don't have much going on there lol. Yeah, I'll never wear crop tops. I hate when shirts barely cover my bellybutton and I gotta keep pulling them down constantly. My problem lately is finding shorts though. I feel like every time I find a pair that fits me and is a decent length when I'm standing up, as soon as I try to sit they ride up into my crotch, haha. I just want a pair of shorts that's a length between short-shorts and grandma shorts. I wear athletic shorts at home, but I still haven't found a decent pair of denim shorts w/ pockets to wear outdoors.

I have a couple of corset-style tops I got at HT years ago, but sadly they're way too big on me now. ;_; I haven't bought any band shirts from HT lately, but I bought some boots and a pair of denim shortalls last year. They seem to always have some kind of sale too, so I've been tempted to buy stuff from them a lot but I already have so many clothes lol. Aw, that's always sad when you lose your favorite clothes. I think she threw away a Sailor Moon shirt I wore all the time too. I mean it was kinda falling apart from wear, but still.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/30 03:22:00 )
@Starry: Ugh, I can't stand people that muscle in like that! Like I barely leave room between me and the people in front of me, so any space in between is not an invitation to be filled. =n= I can only stand around people with B.O. for so long before I have to move on for fear of getting sick.

I do like bralettes, and should probably get more since I don't have a lot of them. Could stand to get rid of some regular bras that have shrunk over time in the wash. I don't have a lot going on up there either lol. I keep getting ads on my Facebook feed for Pepper, which is supposed to be for people with smaller chests, but the price tag completely turns me off. And I totes feel you about the shorts situation!! I have a couple pairs of shorts that go down to my knees, and then the rest are mostly short shorts, but pretty much all of them ride up some in the crotch area and it's getting old.

I feel you on the having too many clothes part too. xP I could easily get rid of a large moving box full, if not more, but I haven't taken the time to go through my wardrobe, wash them, and donate them. I keep thinking about finding a women's shelter in the area and donating to them. Typically I just drop my clothes in a drop box across town, but who knows where those end up. Sorry about your Sailor Moon shirt. </3

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/30 23:38:51 )
@aisukohi: I try to not leave too much space, but I also don't want to be right up against the people in front of me. I hold my ground the best I can, but there's always some jerks who don't care and just try and muscle their way up front unfortunately.

Bras can be expensive, so I'm lucky the few bralettes I have I got at the thrift store. I've been thinking about buying some more online, but I'm afraid I'll get the wrong size and they'll be unwearable. :s I'm glad it's not just me then, haha. I guess I'll just have to find some longer shorts or something. I can't stand the feeling of them riding up, it's like getting a frontal wedgie. XD I'm usually fine just not wearing shorts outdoors, but with some of these hot days we've been having, I'd be more comfortable in shorts instead of jeans.

I actually got rid of several trash bags of clothes last year, but I still have so many. I've cut down a lot, but I'm still tempted sometimes. I don't think I could ever be one of those people who just has a capsule wardrobe of a few things though. I like variety and options lol. Donating to a women's shelter is a really good idea! I gave all my donations to my friend to take to the Goodwill donation for me. It was a pain washing everything that had been sitting in storage for so long, but hopefully they found new homes.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 01:05:00 )
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Hiiii. I'm almost a week late but I'm doing alright. It was really hard to go back to work this morning, Mondays are the worst. -.- How are you doing?
Thinking about playing Pokemon Crystal again.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 01:55:58 )
@Starry: I've been trying to get away with wearing pants, but this heat makes it harder and harder to do, so been wearing shorter bottoms now. I don't shave my legs often more because I'm too lazy, so that's the main reason I go with pants. But yeah, frontal wedgies are no fun, and I'm hoping to find some more comfortable shorts before my vacation here in a couple weeks.

Sometimes I wish I could be a capsule wardrobe kind of person, but I'm with you preferring variety. xD A lot of times I'll also donate my clothes to this thrift store run by a local church, and I'm not even a spiritual person, but I like shopping in their shop because they tend to have good finds for crazy good prices lol. I've tried shopping at Goodwill, but the one here is pretty gnarly with its merchandise, so haven't gone back. I kid you not, I found a sandwich-sized ziplock bag full of rocks that looked like they were just scooped up from the parking lot, and they were trying to sell it for a dollar! Either that, or some goober thought they'd make a joke of it, but still. xP I have one box of mystery clothes that I should go through and wash. I say mystery because I obviously haven't missed whatever's in there to check what it contains lol.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 12:23:06 )
i don't vary my clothing very much. should probably get on that, but i like wearing stuff with actual pockets.

don't get me started on the lack of pockets / shallow pockets shit in most clothing. seriously, i have a helluva rant about that every single day.
please ping me for the love of god.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 14:32:52 )
@aisukohi: That’s understandable. I stop shaving my legs in winter lol, though half my jeans have holes in them so I still try to at least shave around those areas. The knees are like the hardest areas to shave though too. XD

There’s some good thrift stores around here. There’s 2 within walking distance to me. One is a little Goodwill that I’ve found some pretty good stuff at even though it’s small, and the other is a larger chain thrift store. The only thing I don’t like about the Goodwill here is they barely have any toys, and I like collecting plushies.
Haha, I like following the ThriftFinds subreddit partially cause sometimes people find junk like that. I saw someone post a thrift store that was trying to sell some empty Planter’s Peanuts jars for more than it’d cost to just buy the actual jar with peanuts from the grocery store. I’m glad the stores here are decent, though sometimes they sell stuff from the Dollar Tree for more than it’d cost there. Plus I see lots of Shein and Romwe stuff nowadays.

Lol yeah I used to have a mystery box of clothes too. Now I just have a box of clothes that’re too big to wear but too sentimental to donate.

@feral: Same, I hate how so many pants have fake pockets. When I’m walking I like to listen to music on my phone, and I end up putting it in the back pocket since the side pockets are always so useless. I used to wear men’s pants for work since I preferred to keep my wallet and phone on me, but even the shortest men’s pants are too long for me.

Relevant meme lol

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 18:54:29 )

@Starry: Yes to learn another language is just so much time and effort. In a way I guess you never really stop learning it, like how you never stop learning English ^^

Good meme above.

I went to an anime con this past weekend and it was just sooo much fun! I had a blast hanging out with my friends and family that I went with. I miss everyone already.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 23:49:25 )

I was bored and inspired.
        I made dis for you:

Feel free to use or ignore it. ^-^

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 00:06:45 )

So pretty!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.