Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk motorcycle accidents

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/25 00:27:26 )

@Anarchist Beauty:
Thing is, even with a helmet, your odds of surviving a motorcycle wreck is still slim. My dad had full protection on and still ended up with brain damage. Had he not worn his helmet he probably would've straight up died of course. But like even with the most protection... its still not worth driving motorcycles for such a risk. Why we dont have specific motorbike zones in the USA for how massive our land is, i do not know! :vanora_stunned: well money obv, but yeah..

@Totalanimefan:
He will be getting the help he needs thankfully <3
I was able to talk to them all on the phone a few times (they couldnt facetime, I think mom doesn't wanna admit she doesnt know how to use it lmao)
and Ive been texting with my mom frequently to just keep her mind from sitting too still. I'll feed her optimistic thoughts in a realistic manner and try to justify her concerns. I find that a healthy mix of religion and science works really well for her and it just kind of reassures her that he'll be alright.

In great news, my dad was moved out of the trauma ward earlier last week! His swelling has reduced a lot, but that also means he feels everything more. They've had him on meds that help with his brain and pain. But one sounds like it may have been triggering his BPD or something, making him really angry grumpy. So they cut that out, but then he had some signs of getting hooked on the opioids. So thats one of the current focuses to nip that before it becomes a nasty addiction. The doctors are taking care of it right away thankfully! He's just gonna have to be a lil grumpy while his system adjusts.

physical therapy is going well. He's been improving more each day, little by little.
He's able to eat solid food as of yesterday. Had his feeding tube removed.

And at last... I have a week off from work to digest!
I was surprised that my regional manager expressed frustration when I said I cant FMLA and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to see my dad (as a traveler, cause covid and such). While I agree I wouldn't want dad to be at risk from anything I'd carry in, its frustrating to not even help behind the scenes (aside from wiring money to feed mom). But I felt like my management would absolutely have my back if I could... so that feels nice!

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/25 00:28:42 )

Oh and sorry if I repeat things, I talk about this all a lot with my managers as they check in on me each day
so I forgot what I say to whom :']
blessed with a good support system these days when it comes to this kinda thing

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/25 16:30:46 )

@Jolly: All great news and good updates. I'm really glad that your Dad continues to recover! I'm sure that your Mom is really happy that you are there for her. I'm sure that it helps her a lot.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/31 16:42:02 )

Yes! I'm quite happy, but still keep myself ready in case anything declines. I dont know entirely how brain trauma might affect him in the long term.

I actually had a call yesterday where dad turned on the face camera and was holding the phone himself (until it ached cause he does have a fractured wrist on one hand, fractured metacarpals on the other). They had gotten him off of the opioids a week ago cause he was starting to get hooked, so now he's on some heavy Tylenol and such. But that means his brain isn't being slowed by the dilaudid so he is fully aware and himself. He forgets a little bit about what we talked about in the previous phone calls, so each time he tells me where his head space is and how his injuries are, how he's improving. Got this tube taken out, might get that tube taken out. He did have another surgery for his pelvic bone since it was coming loose already? Probably from him being so swollen at the time and now the swelling is down, so they put longer screws in. Got that patched up.

I'm glad that his headspace is good though. He wants to make a firm note with everyone that he doesn't feel messed up by this and it is what it is. He doesn't hate the person who hit him, cause realistically he doesn't think she just woke up that day and said "lets go kill somebody". He only concerns himself with whether they'll be financially compensated, which is something my mom and their attorney is still working on.

I learned it was a head on collision. I didn't want to know about the accident at all, but dad starts rambling when he talks and I think the meds or the brain trauma have caused him to lose all filter :vanora_xd: So he goes on tangents. He doesn't remember the accident still, but he recalls the information others have told him. No one knows 100% what happened, just that the evidence shows that the woman driving must have not been paying attention and pulled out in front of dad while he was going probably 55 (the road's speed limit, he's not usually a speeder). A fire fighter did something specific that I don't want to know the details of, but its thanks to that person that dad's alive at all. My family is sorting out a gift basket to thank them (but having a friend bring it to him cause GOD thats too heavy for us to face ourselves)

Knowing more details on the accident messes with my head a bit, but I'll get over it.
Just the "try not to think about it" cause my mind and imagination work against me.

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 23:05:17 )

I'm the same way. I would have to stop myself from thinking about it too. I tend to think the worst.

I'm glad that it seems to be recovering more and more. I hope that your family doesn't have any medical debt once this is over.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.