Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I hate IG so much right now

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/7 02:17:45 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

I am quite furious right now. I was just scrolling, minding my own business on IG
and out of nowhere wants me to relogin. Which is strange. It never logs me out.
so I log back in and low and behold it refuses to let me in unless i have a phone number so it can send an SNS
code to me...I do not have a working phone with a phone number. My phone has no data on it, so it's only for internet.

IG is where i do all of my promotion of my artwork, new products in my shop, twitch live notifications, and essentially
my whole art life is on it and is the only place people see my work.
So now i am locked out of it for no reason and it's extremely disheartening.

and I don't know when i'll get a new phone. we had planned to last month but now the sale on my phone is gone on back order, and costs instead of $13 a month is now $30 a month and no idea when my dad will call the xfinity like he said he would.
and i am beyond frustrated now.

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/7 03:05:03 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Stinky: not really because even if i use their number they get the code i need.
and it's just for me way too many hoops to keep jumping.
so i guess i just won't be using it and will be forced to use twitter. despite none of my following uses twitter.
so advertising and doing marketing stuff will be much harder for me now.

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/7 06:17:06 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Goblin: I rather not chance it.
But the phone i plan to get is suddenly in stock so my dad plans to call xfinity tomorrow
so maybe we'll figure out if we can order one for me.

yeah not a situation i want to be in at all as instagram
has my whole art career on it in a nut shell as i am on other social media platforms
but i cannot figure out the algorithms other than IGs.
so IG my stuff is the only platform my art gets some attention to.

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/8 02:50:04 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Stinky: tbh i just rather not in case IG decides to pull something on
my sibling's phone because then she can't use her own number if she also gets locked out.

but my dad ordered me a phone so i can use my own soon.

Donator — whatever Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/8 08:21:38 )

IG kicked me tonight because I guess I was loading pages too fast while cutting down my follow list that hasn't been trimmed in five years. It made me add a phone number to get back in, too, even after passing their captcha. Less than impressed tbh.

Glad you're getting a new phone though!

Please ping me!

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/8 09:38:05 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Stinky: my sister is on it to support my art and see my work. so if she gets locked out i'd hate to have her number if she needs it lol.

@cooperationiskey: all i did was scroll my explore. nothing abnormal. logged me out and when it logged in it only wanted my number to get back in. no warning email or anything.

but glad im at least getting a phone so I'll eventually get back in lol

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/9 21:50:39 )
Ahhhh I’m sorry, that sucks so much. Especially since you use it for work/promo.

I hate that everything requires a stupid phone now. I went a few years without a working phone and it was impossible.

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/9 22:17:23 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Synth: I so agree!
I honestly do not get why if a phone is required you wouldn't tell the people who
use the app via email about this sudden change?
As not everyone has a phone or can just easily get a phone.

I had gotten a phone hand-me-down as my sister had her new phone a year or two ago
and so i just used the hand me down because i didn't really need to call or text anyone
and just needed one to edit videos and post to IG when I could.
and then out of nowhere im required a number???

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/9 22:43:54 )

★彡 As someone who don't have service on my current phones and just use it for internet purposes, this is concerning. Like I'm already annoyed they have the similar login on Twitter so if I get log out at some point in the future on IG... I think I'll call it quits temporarily.
I don't use it for work purposes so I'm good and I hope things will work out for you in the end :/ 彡★

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/9 23:05:00 )
@MoodyB: yeah, I think a lot of apps and sites are created by people who are financially stable enough to not worry about it and they don’t think about it.

In the past I’ve used apps that give you a number to use and I think I’ve been able to verify that way. I don’t remember the name of which ones I’ve used.

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/9 23:05:22 )
(Like using the app and WiFi to get a text instead of having phone service)
ping me for best results

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/9 23:46:07 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Synth: Yeah that is true. Normally they send codes through email if you forgot the password.
but i was even logged in which is the weirdest part and then it was like "yeah you need a code and a phone number so we can send it to your phone."

so it was just so weird how it happened.
but since my phone is arriving tuesday im hoping there wont be any issues beyond that.

@Purpsy: i have no idea if i am just the weird one it just happened to happen to me
or if i did something wrong to cause it. but either way IG is honestly so annoying. i wish my following was more so on twitter
tbh but i just don't know how to grow otherwise on any other site other than IG.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/10 00:03:43 )

★彡 @MoodyB: Hmm it is rather odd but it did also happen to someone else here too, now I'm kind of worried as well. Do you have other sites where you showcase your art? Is always good to have backup. 彡★

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/10 00:12:13 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Purpsy: yeah that is true.
I have several places i post online as backups but my art just does not get much
attention on those places. :vanora_sweat:

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/10 00:24:13 )

★彡 @MoodyB: Yeah I get that. Instagram is just one of the more common platforms to post art other than twitter it seems. 彡★

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/10 00:35:54 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Purpsy: twitter is a common place
to post art, but the algorithm really messes with things.
a lot of what i see is small artists posts will get hidden because they have small following, links don't work
and certain words make their work get hidden like if you advertise your commissions.
twitter for me is so hard to get around to getting my work out there lol.
so IG has been pretty decent. IG and my twitch are probably my best platforms.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/10 00:47:16 )

★彡 @MoodyB: Ah that sounds really bad so is really difficult to start there? I already have a difficult time on ig ( ˘•ω•˘ ).。oஇ

Plus the toxic community in which I hope they don't have within the art community there... 彡★

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/10 00:52:23 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Purpsy: yeah same. i think the best way to get work noticed is fanart.
my fanwork seems to do quite well on twitter.
a lot of people just say to be consistent, and get work out there as best as you can.
most say don't use hashtags but i think using 2-3 hashtags works good on twitter.
I only get between 2-5 likes but to me that's a lot for twitter LOL.

Algorithms are such a pain in general.
yeah unfortunately there is quite a bit of toxic people in art community on twitter.
twitter just has a lot of toxic people and every community has some.
the two fandoms i am a part of always have toxic people in it which makes me scared to post my work in general lol.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/10 02:08:12 )

★彡 @MoodyB: Honestly same, most of my artwork gets more recognition if it's fanart but not really much on ig but on tumblr. Algorithms are just pain in the ass in general. As an artist I realized it can be so damaging to our creativity and mental well being.

There are times I just want to quit posting online for real or temporarily and just draw for myself. 彡★

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/10 02:27:10 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Purpsy: Yesss exactly this! It's so damaging to keep up with these dumb algorithms.
a year ago my IG was doing so well, but IG keeps changing how things work
that i had dropped from over 200 accounts reaching to barely even 20.

You shouldn't "change" the algorithm just because it's working for people...that's so damaging..

Honestly same. tho since my family is very broke, and no one works at all but me sorta im trying my best
to put myself out there and work on my craft more and improve.
as we just desperately need to move out.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.