Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat aaaaaahhh is nowhere sacred anymore

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 00:59:53 )

These NF*Ts are popping up everywhere and its really grinding my gears :vanora_huff:
I just want a comfortable corner of the internet where I can just post my art, look at others' art, participate in fun art-related events and tags, and just ignore the money-starved rest of the internet and all its negativity! Although I had settled for the ever-so-negative twitter as my place to chill. Algorithms will always suck, but I can at least filter out my feeds enough that 99% of it is just exactly what I enjoy--art, cats, and video games.
Now even that is more noisy cause everyone is so angry about more NF*T pushing.

Nowhere is safe and chill anymore for the purpose of these gallery-based social websites. Its really quite sad!
DA was corrupt a long time ago, but there used to be a lot of alternatives. Now, everywhere is the same greedy story. Or absolutely dead of traffic and pointless to use anyway.

Sigh
its very tempting to just delete all of my major social media accounts, because these companies really are not worth us using their platforms!
They ignore their users because outrage engagements are still engagements. All in all, they get paid either way, so they'll push all they want without consideration. Like "hey, you all dont like this? Lets shove it in your face more aggressively."

*huffs*

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 01:03:16 )

I think that here will stay NFT free?

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 01:08:56 )

@Totalanimefan:
Yeah, its just hard keeping up on here with mobile ;;
and I need something more gallery-like for art posting.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 01:32:10 )

@Jolly: Yeah I feel that. What about Pinterest?

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 01:57:08 )

@Totalanimefan:
Pinterest is just a hoard of stolen art :vanora_cry:
corrupt as the rest of them
tumblr has turned to nfts, IG all the same and it crops images anyways
DA is already sucky, but I believe they have also turned to this, and also use it as another thing to charge people for "protection" against nfts but it doesnt actually do anything but tell you if it finds one that was stolen of your work
I havent checked how FA is doing, but im not really into nsfw sites esp since Im at work most of the time when I'm scrolling. twitter is a lot easier for me to filter that stuff x___x'''

Donator — He/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 02:08:38 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

Nft? No fucking thanks!!

Ok but on a more serious note, an artist i followed on twitter sudenly tweeted they wanted to make their art into nfts and i was so dissapointed and just unfollowed them lol. I also posted ab it on my insta story and there where so many ppl that didnt know what nfts where? (god i wish that where me)

Ontop of that ive seen multiple cases of artist now getting hacked and sudenly "promoting nfts" but actually have no acces to their acc anymore. Thats a major oof.

Ive always thought the crypto stuff was eh, i dont have the power to stop it so i just ignored it and that was it. But now, everywhere you look theres nfts. its driving me insane.

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 02:37:32 )

@Jolly: Well damn. I had no idea. I don't normally look at artwork on there, it's normally food and house tips for me. (and plants)

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 02:38:33 )

I'm on Twitter a lot but I know that people post a lot about NFTs there.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 03:13:38 )
ˑؘ ۪۪۫۫Formerly known as ChiffonOrange ۪۪۫۫ ؘ

*researches what NFT is* ...Oh, it's one of those crypto/digital currency(?) things. I honestly don't know why it became so popular all the sudden.

Also sucks to hear that some art (social media) sites has shifted to NFTs these days.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 03:20:42 )
The whole idea is just silly.

An NFT, or Non Fungible Token, is simply an address you have control over on the blockchain with a link on it. That link is to the picture. Imagine if you could make a digital token that is a URL link to an image. That is literally all it is. The only unique part is that the token that has that URL can only be transferred if you own the private key.

It is a neat idea but holds no value at all. Because it is a link you can just click the link and copy the picture. It is going everywhere because it is a money grab fad that will eventually crater into worthlessness. Everyone wants a quick buck while they can get in on it!

Donator — He/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 18:44:08 )

@Jolly: FA has a switch you can flip to only show SFW material. Their tagging system is useless, but since ratings are separate from tags, a lot less gets through.

I don't even remember the last time I logged into DA, and I've never really used social media sites for art. So I guess I've missed whatever's going on with the whole NFT craze in that area, but I am getting tired of hearing about them in general. Hopefully it'll die off eventually. I keep getting stories in my news feed about how some random younger-than-me person made gazillions off a drawing by making it an NFT, as if it's that simple...

ALWAYS PING ME

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 21:46:35 )
    I think it really only leapt in popularity because of that one guy who sold his pieces in that format. If money can be made, people are going to jump on it. Eventually a new trend will come along and we'll hear about that as the NFT trend fades into the background. It all really just seems like a game for bitcoin bros to play, so I never paid much attention.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/23 16:21:10 )

I dont know if I'd say its favored by the majority, but NFT people are very loud and proud because they see it as a get rich quick scheme.
It is riddled with fraud, real high energy consumption so its horrid for the environment, all for the sake of possessions.

This twitter thread actually words it pretty well for how I feel about it. Just add environmental and fraud issues to my list of concerns, of course. But it really is just this weird idea that I worry how it might grow and evolve into something worse than it already is.

Humans are too obsessed with possessions and gluttonous for money. But we can be more than this!

"to each their own" could be said if it wasn't consistently negatively affecting those who don't want to be involved with it, especially artists who get their work stolen constantly and the "job offer" spams about it, despite the artist being well known to not want anything to do with this culture.
its so constantly in our faces, its hard to enjoy the internet without another thing popping up

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/23 17:27:06 )

Good twitter thread is good.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/23 17:50:35 )
    I saw this today and thought of the thread:

I didn't really understand the linked twitter, though. Perhaps it's because I'm coming from a legal knowledge base so it just sounds like rambling without any comparative basis. "Let that sink in," isn't persuasive to me. From what I've read so far, it stands on the foundation that no system can prove ownership and that's why NFTs are inherently incorrect. I think that's where I'm the most confused, because we have plenty of "systems" that do just that.

Either I'm not understanding what the definition of "ownership" is in the NFT context, or I'm missing something else.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.