Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Entertainment Recommend me some bands (especially J-rock, I need more of that)

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/15 01:41:07 )

Recently I've been looking for more Japanese rock bands because the only Japanese rock musician I actively listen to is Miura Ayme (his spotify is ミウラアイム in case u wanna listen to him)

Also if you wanna recommend music in general, any genre, I listen to a lot of different music so go ahead :3

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/15 14:49:33 )
I used to listen to Japanese music quite a bit in the past, before mainly delving in K-pop. So these are pretty old jap bands/artists (I don’t think some are active anymore) that I remember liking/still enjoy from time to time: KAT-TUN, Juka/Shaura, Versailles Philharmonic Quintet, BUCK-TICK, Malice Mizer, Ayumi Hamasaki.
‘god, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young. I thought I saw you out there crying, woah-oh. I saw a lion kiss a deer, we are all lost stars trying to light up the dark.’ ~ Jungkook. / diary. text. visual. comm.

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/15 17:03:59 )

@squishy sloth: Some favorite Japanese bands of mine are MY FIRST STORY, ONE OK ROCK, LM.C, SWANKY DANK, and ELLEGARDEN. I'll list some song suggestions for ya if you're interested in hearing their sounds. ^^ Most of these are on Spotify.

MY FIRST STORY: King & Ashley, WINNER, Underdog, 失踪FLAME, The Story Is My Life, With You, Someday, LET IT DIE

ONE OK ROCK: 完全感覚Dreamer, NO SCARED, Jibun Rock, Answer Is Near, Deeper Deeper, Let's Take It Someday, Cry Out, Taking Off, Giants

LM.C: Liar Liar, Punky Heart, pOlyLifE, Door!, Intersection, Hoshi no Arika, SUPER DUPER GALAXY, Avocado, GaMuShaRa, Yellow Beauty*, Rock the LM.C*, BOYS & GIRLS* (*you might have to find these on YouTube, I don't believe they're on Spotify)

SWANKY DANK: 捧ぐ歌, Colors, Start Again, Amazing Dreams (I haven't listened to their entire discography yet, so my list is shorter ^^;) Also, the vocalist has his own solo project under the name COZI, and his songs are worth listening to! They're called Never Too Late and Save You (光)

ELLEGARDEN: Migite, Windy Day, Missing, Raindrops, My Bloody Holiday, TV Maniacs, Jitterbug, No.13, Butterfly, Addicted, Space Sonic, A Thousand Smiles, Stereoman, Salamander

Other artists I'd like to recommend are Shin and sleepyhead. Shin was the vocalist of ViViD and has been working on his solo career since their disbandment. sleepyhead (or Takeru) was the vocalist of SuG and is also working on his solo career.

Shin: just going true side, jack the ripper, restart, WEAKEND, on my way with innocent to「U」, paradox, GLAMOROUS SKY, Mirage

sleepyhead: 闇雲 (Yamikumo), 酩酊 (Meitei), 1 2 3 for hype sex heaven, meltbeat, clap clap (I haven't listened to much after his first releases ^^;)

Of course I don't expect you to listen to all of these, but here's a variety of options if you're ever interested. :)

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/15 17:32:20 )
// AI-COM MNRVA : activate MIDNIGHT EXIGENT(aurora knives)

Shoot fam, middle-school me has gotchu covered!

Malice Mizer was probably my fave, but there's also Moi Dix Mois (lead by one of the founders of Malice Mizer), HYDE, Schwarz Stein, Kaya, Phantasmagoria, Dir en grey, Acid Black Cherry, Miyavi, Antic Cafe, the Gazette, Sugar (suuuper deep-voiced singer)...tbh I was a huge weeb back then so I could go on all day. xD But those are some of the most popular, and can probably give you a springboard to find more groups you like. c:

// AI-COM : return // end of line

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/15 22:19:35 )

@koneko:
@Jessamine:
@Ark:
@Vii:

*writes all these down* aksjhdj i think i've heard of a lot of these but never looked into them, like i'm pretty sure i've heard of ViViD before?? and one ok rock ofc akjshjd
also i've definitely heard whang talk about dir en grey before, thats a name i know :3c
thank u guys!!

also heres my long messy playlist if u want it :3 (it's a big mess of pop, pop punk, rock, etc, i recommend listening on shuffle heheh)

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/15 22:29:18 )

@squishy sloth: You're welcome! ^^

@Vii: All of the bands/ artists you've mentioned are sooo nostalgic =w=

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/16 15:58:32 )

@Ark: Honestly though xD I wish I could go back to those simpler times.

It's also kinda crazy that a lot of them are still around. Hyde is still putting out new music and playing live shows. Miyavi GREW UP! I saw him in Kong: Skull Island and had to rewind / do a double take because I just couldn't believe.

I'm kinda butthurt though because I got a lot of flack in middle school for being into that kind of stuff and now, lo and behold, K-Pop and anime are all but mainstream... c':

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/17 00:10:56 )

@Vii: Yep, and Miyavi is still on his grind! He's got a new baby, he's in Kate on Netflix, I believe he's recently acted in something else, as well. And he just released a new album, a new music video, and announced an upcoming tour. I follow Tokyohive on Twitter and it seems like ever time I notice their tweets, there's a new article about HYDE. Kudos to them for still pumping out work. xD

And I completely understand what you mean, and feel 100% the same way. A part of me is glad that anime and Kpop are more recognized, but another part of me is bitter about it because I remember being teased and scoffed at for liking them. :<

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/17 16:52:20 )

@Ark: For real! I watched an interview with HYDE from a couple years back and was just so blown away. Still looks darn good for his age, and apparently is one of the most popular / top grossing musicians in Japan; I expected that to be Gackt, but he seems to have quieted down a bit lately. Couldn't step foot in a J-rock forum or channel without seeing his face everywhere. c':

The highlight of each month was going to the Japanese market and convincing my dad to buy me imported J-rock magazines. |D I couldn't read 99% of them but damn if it wasn't fun just looking at all the pictures and imagining what it would be like to experience it all in person.

I'll have to look into that show on Netflix. My brain still has a hard time processing that the Miyavi we have now is the same Miyavi from the mid-2000s. xD

Brb gonna go watch old commercials for nostalgia

@squishy sloth: Depending on whether you prefer j-pop or j-rock, I could probably drop another novella of suggestions on you lmaoo

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/17 23:18:28 )

@koneko: KAJSHDJHG i still add to it so it just gets even longer,, i've never been good at making playlists for certain genres and stuff so i just kinda throw everything into one >w<

@Vii: honestly i listen to anything and everything that makes me brain happy heheh :3c
like, if i put my playlist on shuffle theres a good chance it'll go from asking alexandria to george ezra and its great akjshd

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/18 18:09:19 )

@squishy sloth: INCOMING

Alice Nine, X-Japan, hide (different from HYDE), hitomi, Hirasawa Susumu (does a lot of OSTs and stuff, distinct / unique sound), Gackt (a.k.a. one of the kings), Klaha (was my personal obsession fave), Tohoshinki / DBSK (Korean group who performed in Korean, Japanese, and English), Do as Infinity (where my InuYasha gang at???), Versailles, uhhhhh let's see

That's all I can think of for now... a lot of them criss-cross each other, i.e. hide was part of X-Japan before going solo (RIP hide); HYDE was part of L'arc-en'Ciel before going solo, and now he's also part of VAMPS, which is a collaboration between a bunch of popular j-rock artists; Klaha and Gackt were both in Malice Mizer at some point etc.

But they often sounded way different in groups vs. solo, or from group to group / phase to phase, so it's definitely worth exploring the different "eras" so to speak. Malice Mizer started off very romantic and whimsical, but took on a much darker, more dramatic tone after the drummer Kami passed away.

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/18 21:19:41 )

@Vii: wait im pretty sure i've heard of Gackt?? he sounds familiar
also thank u for all these!! my spotify playlist is gonna get even longer i can see it now LMAO
i feel like i recognise some of the names already so some of them might already be on the playlist from spotify recommending me songs or from my MMD obsession back in 2013 when i was watching videos of miku dancing to j-rock ALKSJHJJDH

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/23 15:16:01 )

cali≠gari & goatbed are my constant recs i love them sooooooo much
    maguro is a fun cali≠gari song to get started with, they have a huge range of music tbh

other bands not mentioned in the thread already that i like are 9GOATS BLACK OUT & rentrer en soi

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/2 01:26:27 )

@pachi: ooh ill check them out!!

also
thank you @Ark: for recommending one ok rock because now i keep listening to their entire discography LKJHSJDHG

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/2 01:32:30 )

@squishy sloth: You're welcome!! That's good to hear! ^^ Any favorites so far? :3

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/2 01:38:42 )

@Ark: i really love all of ambitions but specifically start again akshjd
also they did a song with alex gaskarth??? from all time low???? my favourite band??? and i didn't know??????

Shop | Art Thread | used to be cowboy belphie, buggaboy, kairosama | forum bunny by kouenli

Donator — He/Him Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/10/27 04:58:56 )
Oh MUCC was never mentioned, I'll recommend that

Ping me!

Hangout

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.