Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Finally divorced!

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 22:52:20 )

I GOT MY DIVORCE, Y'ALL

My spouse and I broke up years ago. Around eight years, in fact, but we stayed married for most of that time because I needed insurance in order to get my medication, and didn't make enough through my job (especially with me being in and out of work for several years due to illness) to afford it on my own.
Around the time I did finally get insurance through my job, we started the process of divorce, but because we live in different states nowhere near each other, it all had to be done online and through the mail, which was an extremely slow process that only got slower thanks to Covid. We got more rejection notices than I care to count, for one reason or another, most amounting to "technical difficulties". We were given date estimations, only to have them pushed back or dropped entirely, and had to start over at one point.

Let's take a moment now to reflect on how insanely easy it was to get married in the first place...

But at long last, we've finally gotten a letter titled "DECREE OF DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE".
Decree:
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the marriage relationship existing between Petitioner and Respondent is hereby
dissolved and terminated. Each party is restored to all of the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of an unmarried
person.

What beautiful words! I was beginning to think I'd never see the day. We're still waiting to find out whether we will need to make a court appearance online/over the phone to ensure everything is finalized, but it looks like it's gonna be over at last. No more confusion about what status to claim on forms, no more being unable to even consider getting remarried, and best of all, no more being blocked from financial aid because I have a spouse that I don't even get any money from or share a home with (much less a bank account). Maybe now I can finally get that Obamacare (since I lost my insurance yet again when I had to leave my job).

One step closer to getting my life on track. Better late than never.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 22:59:09 )

Congrats! I hope that you like this new chapter of your life.

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 23:04:17 )

@Totalanimefan: Thanks; we've been waiting for this for a looong time lol

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 23:13:14 )

I had no idea it was so complicated to get divorced :O congrats tho!

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 23:18:29 )

@Count Trashula: What are you most excited for in this new chapter?

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/30 00:24:20 )

@sunny: ty! You'd think the process would be simpler, given how easy it is to get married, but apparently not. Even with neither party contesting anything, no children, no split resources, etc, there were multiple steps of filing paperwork back and forth and long waiting periods for rejection and approval.

@Totalanimefan: Not having to worry about it for paperwork and benefits any more. Couldn't get any financial aid or qualify for lower insurance payments because I was married, regardless of having completely separate households. Was always a source of confusion/stress when trying to fill out paperwork. Now I can do whatever I want/need to do without having to wonder if it's gonna be affected (or blocked entirely) by a person I don't even live with.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/30 00:40:06 )

Party time.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/30 02:11:01 )

Huzzah! Congratulations on being able to move forward finally!

Please ping me!

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/30 02:53:13 )

heck yeah

plus i can add one more normie thing to my list of life experiences lol

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/30 02:58:04 )

@Count Trashula: hey that’s great news! That sounds a lot better.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/30 04:56:19 )
@count trashula:
Yay congratulations!

I'm currently engaged and we're domestic partners now but divorce is something that I do not want to go through because it sounds so complicated and stressful.
Feel free to ping me!
Also, you can call me Seni!

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/1 01:32:52 )

Congratulations! I can only imagine the relief you're feeling right now. ^^

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.