Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk so much has happened

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/16 18:08:57 )

GUYS
I have so much to say
I think the last time I was on here, was during holiday season when I was getting a new job and stuff?
Massage Therapy flopped very hard and I was at my lowest point in finances and mental health, then I stumbled into a job as a sales person with a company that takes very good care of their employees. Well this rollercoaster is still runnin~

Financially stable and independent again, my partner and I were like, SWEET
The last 6 months have been good for us

but somewhere we still weren't happy. Neither of us like where we live, so even though we're making the most of it and enjoying the great positives, there was still that deep down sense of "where do we belong tho?"

We always talked about leaving this state, but as a plan for later, when he finishes his current college course.

A couple weeks ago, there was a very traumatic experience at my job that I'm still struggling to talk about. A man did come into my workplace and tried to kill me and my manager. He was drugged beyond his senses, probably didn't even know where he was. Neither of us were physically harmed--my manager's reflexes are very impressive. She got away and Best Buy protected her. I didn't get out and was tucked in a dark, tight space with dispatchers on my cell. The man was caught immediately when police arrived and I was able to take actions to ensure he wouldn't be able to go home the next day (stupid that there's even a chance of that before the court dates). Sometimes writing letters to the right people can make good things happen.

I'm still battling with ptsd from this, my manager and I both.
There's a lot of craziness where I live, and I've always always wanted to leave. In light of everything my company has reached out to me, and they're helping me to relocate across the country, where I want to live anyway. My partner is coming with, since there are more opportunities for him too and his course will be way better if he transfers colleges there.
He's struggled with the realization that you can lose the person you love at any moment, and I know thats been hard for him. He tries not to vocalize it because he wants to be strong for me, but I'm definitely going to seek out counseling for us both once we settle in our new home in the south. To help with our paranoias and my ptsd. So we'll be fine.

This move has offered me the distraction I need to get better too. I've wanted this for a decade. I never wanted to move here at the start--but hey, I was just a kid back then. Now I'm able to do this all and its blowing my mind. Its like I'm fulfilling a dream and once i get there, I gotta work on creating new goals and dreams. It'll be fun to move forward.
As for my partner, when he realized how easily all of this fell into our laps when we decided to go, I've never seen him so excited about anything. Like, he's always easily excitable, but he hit a whole other level of "this is exactly where we belong"

I dont mean to weigh heavily on the one tragic thing--I really intended to come and say holy crap, this dream of mine is happening, and I'm so excited to get there in a week!

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/16 18:23:30 )

@Jolly: Okay, let me say first... holy sh**.

I am so so sorry that happened to you, omfg.

As someone who has been directly threatened many times, it never truly leaves you.

But at least you lived, and can learn from it. :3
It's completely awesome that things will be better for you down south.
I'm just sorry it had to be because of this, but at least the good came from the bad.

*sends hugs*

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/16 18:41:18 )

@kozi:
Oh geez, I'm sorry that you can relate to it too. It really is hard, I do still get flash backs to it sometimes. I'm fortunate that most moments my memory recollection is too foggy and I can focus on my life more.

I've already met my new store manager over the phone and my regional manager for down there--they're very very sweet and supportive. My company doesn't normally offer financial help with moving unless you promote, but they've made an exception for this. It covers my lease break, which has also been very generous because my landlady is supporting me too.

My partner's apartment is throwing him and his room mates out at the same time as this move, because they changed the signup dates (student apartments suck a lot) and were basically like "maybe you didn't know that but too bad, we already booked new tenants in your rooms anyways so get out"
It kind of feels like this move is really meant to happen for a reason

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/16 19:44:30 )

@Jolly: Holy crap. I would have PTSD from that too. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I recommend finding a new therapist through your healthcare provider. Please find one that does EMDR therapy that's the one that helps with PTSD and it did wonders for mine.
Some tips I can give you is when you feel triggered tell yourself it's not happening to you right now and tap your right thigh and then your left thigh with your hands(every other, not at the same time). It lights up a different part of your brain and helps to keep you in the current moment instead of being at the PTSD moment. It's worked for me and it's a technique I learned in therapy. It's scary, and it's not a quick road to recovery but you will be able to do it.

As for the positive stuff, I'm so happy for you! Honestly I am. As you might remember, I was able to move to my dream location last summer and my husband and I have been very happy here so far. Just no longer having to deal with wildfire season alone is enough to make me extremely happy.
And it's not that you can't feel other emotions in the new town/city, but just everyday seems a little brighter and when you stop and think about where you are and where you have come from it makes you a little happier. I wish that everyone could live where they want to live and it makes me happy when I see people able to achieve that. Please keep updated more often. <3

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/16 19:54:26 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

I am so sorry that happened to you both.
It's great your manager's reflexes and how your job has been helping you tho.
I hope when you guys move into the new place you want to move at you'll be able to feel more at ease.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/16 20:25:33 )

@Totalanimefan:
Thank you for the advice! I'll keep the thigh tapping thing in mind, it makes sense how that can help.
My triggers aren't frequent, but my partner knows what sounds will do it and he recognizes when my mind is bordering on a fit. He helps a lot by patting or rubbing my shoulder or knee (whatever's in reach) and talking to me. Maybe that's a similar thing.

But yes, I'm so excited to be where I want to be. I remember talking with you last year about things like this. I knew I'd get there eventually but I can't believe its officially official and I"ll really achieve it this year! Like, on the 25th of this month exactly. It feels unreal.
Its also crazy to me that my partner has wanted this for longer than I have, so I have the perfect person to go on these adventures with. We enjoy long car rides together so even though a 14 hour drive down there is a bit daunting, we're excited for that too.

I'll try to be better at updating :'D

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/16 20:27:10 )

@MoodyB:
Thank you, I'm definitely certain I'll feel more at ease before long <3
Still want counseling of course. But it does help that my new job location has more people working there, so I'll never have shifts again where there's only me and one other on staff for 11 hours. There will always be safe people and safe numbers~

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/16 20:56:23 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Jolly: that is good to hear.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/16 21:25:47 )

@Jolly:You're welcome. No one should have to live with PTSD and yet lots of us do. Therapy will really help.
Yeah what your SO does is similar. It's getting a different part of your brain to light up and it gets you more in the moment instead of reflecting and being in THAT moment. This one is good when he is not around too. If you start feeling it at work, or during lunch break or any other time. I would find myself more likely to be triggered when I was alone.

Yeah it's one good thing from the pandemic. I think people realized like it's now or never. Time to make the move to be where I want to be. I think otherwise I would still be stuck in CA. DC has been wonderful. I love that it's so walkable here, and the museums and starting to open too. Last week I had company over from CA and I think they liked it here. We did a lot of walking everyday and one of them really loved the trail system we have around here (I do too). I think I told you but my husband and I are car free here. We either walk to where we want to go, or take the train or the bus. Sometimes we bike to where we want to go too. Your move date is so soon! Do you feel like you have enough time to get everything packed and sorted before the 25th?

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 18:40:36 )

@Totalanimefan:
Yeah I started to feel it a bit today when watching some news stuff on youtube. Guess there was a clip recorded of something and the woman started screaming and I honestly can't tell you what the story was about cause I just sorta shut down at the noise. Its all auditory for me. It also helps that my bird will demand attention when he knows someone's upset. He's a crazy little budgie but he's real smart Lol

Yeah, there's that and also people are moving to states that have dropped mask mandates, which is so crazy to me.
also I LOVE WALKABLE PLACES! It feels sooooooo good to be able to just. walk. anywhere you need to go. I get so much more done that way cause I'll forever hate driving Lol I remember us both talking about how much cars suck, so I'm very happy for you that you dont have to worry about having one there. <3
I'm actually tossing a lot of my furniture for this move cause its really cheap, under $100 desk/tables that were meant to be throw aways once I leave colorado. I've had them for a couple years and they're already falling apart lmao
But this will make it a lot quicker, I have most other things packed already. My company's paying for my uhaul and also sending me a check to help cover my lease break, so things are going way smoother than I imagined. I have a lot more of my savings to keep or work with.

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 19:09:22 )

@Jolly: Yeah audio is/was a big thing for me too. Also sometimes my mind will wonder and then go to that time and place and I'm like why brain? why?
I'm glad your bird is there to help you through this <33

Last week when we had company over we walked 40 miles XD We saw a lot.
I love walkable places too. I just had to move to somewhere I didn't need a car. I just walk and walk whenever I want. I did 4 miles on Tuesday and 3 miles yesterday just walking along the river.
Yeah cheap furniture is cheap. I hope you will be able to find what you need easily on the other side of the move. Wow that's great that you company is doing so much for you. That will really help. Are you driving to your new home? If so, have you planned out that trip? It probably won't be as bad now but last summer I didn't take time to think about how the pandemic would effect the road trip. It was a lot harder to find bathrooms and we had to eat in the car all the time and lots of places weren't open anyway. I'm sure it's not as bad now, but make sure that you plan extra time for bathrooms and eating than you would on a normal road trip. Oh and prebook the hotels. When I moved from FL to CA in 2015 I didn't and it was fine, if I would have done the same during the pandemic I wouldn't have had anywhere to stay. Everywhere in CA and AZ was fully booked.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.