Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Hobbies! What do YOU do for funsies?

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/19 00:35:54 )

@Juliette:
Not to be an armchair psychologist but it kinda sounds like you're depressed. Have you brought up your lack of interest/motivation with your therapist (I think you said in another thread you were seeing one)?

And there's nothing wrong with watching stuff and cooking! I watch tons of stuff too, mostly YouTube, lol. I have it on like 98% of the time. I'm trying to get into cooking, too, to combat my roommate's less healthy recipes lol. What do you like to cook, anything in particular? o3o

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/19 06:39:37 )
@CooperationIsKey: I am actually pretty bored and depressed; I’m still trying to process my online trauma…

No I haven’t addressed my lack of interest/motivation with my psychologist but I will in my next session with them. On that note, today I went to a convention and dressed up as Sabrina Spellman from the tv show, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and interestingly enough, I picked up two books, one being about witches and another about wizards, both being from the same author. I’m excited to get back into reading. :3

I used to bake a lot of sweet stuff, like cookies when I lived at my parents’ house but I stopped because I can’t figure out how to use my apartment oven. Besides that, I tend to cook what I know: scrambled eggs in a pan with tomatoes in simmering tomato juices, cooked spinach with a dash of salt and olive oil, boiled cubed potatoes, frozen vegetables, etc. I need to find new recipes to try…my food is rather plain, lol. >.<

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/19 13:42:51 )

My hobbies is mostly drawing and writing. I own a journal now and decided to write as many journals as I can while I'm still alive. I went through my stuff recently and realized that I own five journals now (including my new one), dated since I was a pre-teen and I dare not to read those, they're kinda cringy lmao. But it made me realized how I miss writing on paper rather than on my phone, which I've been doing for awhile. I'm pretty consistent of it and have been writing daily and I'll write anything on it, even the boring day to day stuff. I sometimes write poems, dream journals and random short stories but never have the patience to write a novel. I failed miserably a couple of times with that but I've been also practicing my cursive because I've been never good a it. And I'm slowly improving~

I used to do traditional art, like watercolour, coloured pencils or plain ink artworks but since I got my new tablet last Christmas, I've been doing digital art again. I've had a few experiences with it before. But I'm itching to do watercolour lately so I'm thinking what I want to paint at the moment. I also post my stuff on Instagram, Amino and Tumblr. My Deviant Art account is practically dead at this point. But I'm not very consistent with my social media accounts to begin with lmao...

I also been re-reading one of my old books again and since I've thrown a lot of stuff away, I want to get back into reading again and desperately need to buy a bookshelf. Is nice to just chill with a good book once in a while, it helps me to get off here and be not on my laptop too often :3

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 00:35:48 )
I really love drawing as a main hobby :) Sometimes, I also do roleplaying or reading, and thinking of taking up cosplay. idk I don’t really want to think of how much time I spend on enjoying doing something so it’s considered a hobby to me & overthink, I’ll just do it whenever I feel like it xDD

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 02:10:07 )

@Juliette:
Ah, yeah, that's understandable. That kinda stuff can really have an impact on your enjoyment of hobbies. The convention sounds fun, though! I haven't been to one in ages. I hope the books are good! They sound interesting. :3

I love baking, moreso than cooking meals, but my waistline doesn't like it very much lol. You can't figure out your oven? Gosh, that sounds like a huge pain in the butt.

I just fairly recently got into collecting new recipes to try, myself; even have a nifty lil' Moleskine journal I keep them in. I know, while it's kind of a rabbit hole, Pinterest can be really good for finding new recipes. Otherwise you can kinda just look up ingredients you enjoy and see what recipes pop up for it! There's pretty much endless options on the internet. :)

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 03:54:57 )

@Purpsy:
Oh journaling, neat! I used to keep a LiveJournal, and I've done scrapbooking, but I haven't kept a physical journal/diary since I was a kid. I understand on not wanting to read the old stuff though, lol. I'm nowhere near patient enough to write on my phone, except for sometimes posting on forums; I prefer to type on the computer. I used to fill spiral notebooks with my writing, though; actually I'm super bummed that I lost some of those notebooks over the years because I don't have typed up versions of some of it. I used to be able to write sooo much, I probably could have written a novel once upon a time but I can't really focus long enough for it anymore lol. And wow, cursive; I don't think I can really write anything other than my name in cursive anymore, despite it being required learning starting in like third grade for me!

I'd love to get a tablet some day, even though my art isn't that great, it just looks like fun to use. Watercolor looks so cool but I've never tried it (unless you count when I was a kid lol). I actually bought new art supplies in the past year--colored pencils, gel pens, and polymer clay--and then I've barely touched it since. I really need to make myself use the stuff! And I think most people's DA accounts are largely dead at this point. After the stupid Eclipse update, so many people bailed...

I really want to get one of those cube cabinets for my room, but I'd like a bookshelf too. I miss reading but I have a hard time focusing on books for long. And yet I love my books and refuse to get rid of any, lol.

@Jessamine:
I miss roleplaying; used to do it with some friends but we kinda tapered off and it never really picked up again. I should try to get a new game going. o3o And cosplay is awesome! I've wanted to do it in the past but never followed through on any ideas really, except I wore some rainbow rave-wear to a couple cons, lmao. Do you have any characters in mind that you want to cosplay, or just a general interest? o3o

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 09:59:27 )
@CooperationIsKey: I actually love baking more than cooking meals too. I love pretty much anything sweet and it makes me happy and less stressed when I bake. ^^

Never mind, I figured out how to use my apartment oven. xD I made bacon, tomato and cheese pizza which I haven’t made in a while. :3

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 10:17:54 )
@cooperationiskey: Yeah, I’ve recently started to get back into roleplaying this year; it used to be a very serious hobby many years ago until I had a long breakdown w my social anxiety & then finding it difficult for a long time to acclimate to bad memories/figuring out all my issues/move on. Roleplaying is now not nearly the same or as exciting as when I was happier before, but somehow it’s slowly still healing my heart. That’s awesome you used to do roleplaying too :) & yeah it may not be the same or threads may seem slow going but if it makes you happy, you could take it up again if you wish :)

Rainbow coloured clothing sounds cool :3 I’m thinking of cosplaying something similar to my avatar; girly w scary elements. Scary-wise, I’m thinking of drawing inspo from Ken Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul (his ghoulish face) as it looks epic ; I haven’t seen the anime/manga yet but I’m just drawn to his appearance xD I would love to experiment w easy to wash off make-up.
‘god, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young. I thought I saw you out there crying, woah-oh. I saw a lion kiss a deer, we are all lost stars trying to light up the dark.’ ~ Jungkook. / diary. text. visual. comm.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 19:36:36 )

@Juliette: Baking is totally therapeutic, though I think to some extent cooking can be too. At least I enjoy making enchiladas! And yay, glad to hear you figured out the oven, lol. Pizza sounds yummy. o3o

@Jessamine: Oh I feel ya; I had a bad experience years ago with some people in a group roleplay I was brought into by a friend, like really bad, and didn't roleplay again for years. Fortunately it happened kind of naturally with a current group of friends on discord and I found I could still do it (I thought that, like my creative writing, I had a sort of 'roleplaying block'). Sorry to hear you had a bad breakdown, though; that's actually what caused me to drop out of college, was a nervous breakdown. I know it's not a fun time. I wish you the best in recovery.

I'm super obsessed with rainbows in general, lol. I actually am pretty heartbroken that I accidentally got rid of my furry rainbow rave set when I had to get rid of most of my stuff a couple years ago. That's something I meant to hang onto. Hopefully I can find decent replacements eventually. And ooh, that sounds cool! I don't think I ever finished Tokyo Ghoul but what I saw was awesome, I do highly recommend it! I used to have a bunch of costume makeup, too, though I didn't experiment nearly as much as I should have (mostly at Halloween lol).

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 19:43:22 )
I like doing my makeup, reading, playing video games, and watching tv.
My attention span is so short that it's hard for me to pick up new hobbies sometimes.
I used to knit (was a complete beginner) and used to do perler beads but those are just collecting dust in my basement.
One day I'd like to get back into them though.]

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 20:02:41 )

@ArsenicAttitude:
Hello! Do you mean like everyday makeup or do you do costume stuff? o3o (either is neat, I can't really do either so I'm always impressed by people who can lol.) Any particular games you enjoy or just gaming in general?

I feel you on the short attention span. I have a hard time reading for the same reason.

I tried crochet once, but didn't get very far before losing interest, lol. And perler beads look fun! I've never done it but I've been thinking of getting a mini craft iron for another project so maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 20:12:43 )
@cooperationiskey:
Mostly everyday makeup. I did recently purchase some cake liners to do more graphic liner looks though, so I'm excited for that.

Right now for games, I've been playing Sims 4, Miitopia, Stardew Valley, and Animal Crossing. Those are the main games and then I do play some Steam games from time to time.

Reading books lately has been difficult for me, so this is why I just read a bunch of webtoons XD. The amount I read in a week is probably equivalent to one book lol.

Perler beads were super fun. I made a lot of fun things. I want to make some cute decorations for my office. Crocheting was difficult for me I tried it once and was like nah no thanks lol.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 20:26:36 )

@ArsenicAttitude: I haven't done everyday makeup (a full face anyway) since high school, lol. At some point I just decided it was more trouble than it was worth (to me at least). I'm always amazed by people who do their makeup all nice, especially when they do it every dang day! I'm just not patient enough I guess, lol.

I love Stardew Valley and Sims 4 (I have over 10GB of custom content for the latter >_>; ). I really want to play Animal Crossing sometime, it looks so fun and peaceful. I've only seen glimpses of Miitopia, though I used to play the Mii app, whatever it was called, when it was around (kinda miss that actually).

What webtoons do you read? I recently got into one called "Acceptance" that's super cute, and I also read "The Little Trashmaid," which is adorable, though a bit sad (with a good message on littering).

I know people incorporate perler bead 'pendants' in kandi jewelry, too, and I've been fascinated by and wanted to learn to make that for years too. Maybe perler beads will be my gateway into kandi, too! :vanora-celebrate:

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 20:34:11 )
@cooperationiskey:
I feel that. I honestly don't do my makeup everyday and if I do do it, it's really to practice.
Yesterday was the first time in a bit that I wore makeup but then again I hadn't been out anywhere in weeks XD

Idk how much CC I have right now. I've recently gotten back to playing Sims after a year so most of the CC I had before is gone. I think I tried to play the game completely vanilla and I was like this is not working out and I caved lol.

I read a BUNCH of them, but I do read Acceptance and Little Trash Mermaid. I always get a little sad reading Trash Mermaid as well. Some of my other favorites are Cursed Princess Club, Andy Bass, Viral Hit, What's Up Beanie?, and Boyfriends. I read way more than that though.

Oh you should try it out! I never really got into the kandi jewelry. That's for raves right?

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 20:53:07 )

@ArsenicAttitude:
Lol that's valid, I think that's been the case for most people for the past year and a half! I know when I got out lately it's like "must wear favorite clothes because who knows when I'll get another chance!" even if it's just like, running to Walgreens. XD

Yeah, I love the Sims, but whoo boy do I love to customize, and there just isn't enough options built into the base game! I do hate having to update the mods every time I decide to play, though.

I honestly haven't heard of any of those but I might just have to check them out! I know I binged the first 70 'episodes' of Acceptance when I first found it. I need to get back to it, actually.

Yeah, it's a rave thing. I never went to raves and it's not really my scene (loud noises and crowds are so exhausting for me), but I've had a fascination with kandi for years, and it looks like fun to make and collect even if I don't go partying. (I do have an OC who's all about raving, though; I kinda live vicariously through her, lol!)

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 21:03:00 )
@cooperationiskey:
Yeah like yesterday I wore a dress but it was super comfy to shop in (I only went to target lol) but still. And my makeup wasn't fancy or anything either. I just did my brows, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush, highlighter, and lipstick. But as I'm typing it it's basically a full face of makeup lol.

Yeah Sims 4 is just way better with CC in it to me. The creators make way better stuff than EA does thats for sure. I haven't really updated my mods except for a few of them. My game hasn't crashed yet at least so that's a good sign.

I'd definitely recommend those webtoons when you get a chance too though. I think most of them are originals besides What's Up Beanie?

I never went to raves either. I'm too socially awkward in real life to do all that XD.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 21:25:43 )

@CooperationIsKey: Oh I was tempted to throw away some of my journals when I was going through my stuff but couldn't. It has a sentimental value to it. Even if I can't read through all of them but is interesting to see how I used to see everything before... My world was small back then that's for sure. Plus I'm not a fan of hoarding since I live with one, but with my sketchbooks and journals is the only items I can't able to throw away. I find it easier typing on my phone since I can bring it anywhere and is just easily accessible but writing on paper? It never gets old plus I love notebooks and is a bit of a notebook junkie lmao.

Lmao I'm the same! I just recently got some new set of watercolour tubes last year and I did used it for awhile... but since I got my tablet last christmas, I've been more into digital since. Now I really need some new set of brushes though since I had mines for years and is very worn out now lmao. Then I may consider going back into watercolour again lol.

Ooh! Those are very nice! But I want to get a decently large bookshelves in the future since I kind of want to collect some books. And I'm much into older books like Goosebumps, Babysitters Club and Nancy Drew books. I grew up with those and I honestly will be nice to collect them all somehow.

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/21 04:55:56 )

@ArsenicAttitude:
Sims 4 just gets so much more play/replay value with CC! Like the stuff packs and expansions are great and all, but they're often so paltry and then you get something from a CC creator (or group) and it's like. Holy crap this pack is better than the official packs! I know with my version of Sims 4 it won't let me play unless the game is up-to-date, so then I have to keep my mods updated, generally. I've had it refuse to start if I don't, like crash before it really starts, lol. Which sucks considering it takes five years for the darn thing to launch and load a save in the first place.

I'll check them out! If you like Acceptance and The Little Trashmaid than you clearly have good taste. ;)

YES same, plus with anxiety from noise/crowds I can barely survive a day at a convention! Then again I have been to concerts, but except for the like one they were open-air with seating and stuff so they weren't super stressful. (and the one that was in a club was so fun, even though I was there alone, that it kinda overrode my anxiety, lol.)

@Purpsy:
Sketchbooks and journals are special, though, they're different than just any old junk, so I totally get wanting to keep them. And saaaame I love notebooks! I recently got into Moleskine journals; I have a lineless one for sketches (half-full now, I'm proud of that!), a lined one for keeping my recipes, and I'm currently heavily debating this denim-covered one (still the same size as the others) that I can use as a mini scrapbook--I want to put iron-on patches on the cover! I really fell for Moleskine journals hard; I'm kinda happy to have an excuse to get a new one, lmao.

I did recently get paintbrushes, too, but technically I bought them (and some paint) for painting the faux stone backdrop I'm making for a terrarium I'm building, lol. They're nothing fancy but I as long as I take care of them I'm sure they'll last a while. Also I've wanted a tablet for a while; what I do mostly when I draw recently is sketch on paper, 'scan' it in with my phone, then digitally line and color it with the mouse using line tools and stuff (I have learned some neat tricks though!)

I haven't gotten a new one in quite a while, but I've in the past been working on replacing favorite books from my childhood, especially in hardback when I can find them. I love them so much, but they're in storage in a friend's unit in California and I'm just praying that I'll be able to get them shipped to me eventually (I'm in Florida now x.x ). I have some really cool science books that were a nightmare to track down and I was on cloud nine when I got them, plus I have this wicked 'fantasy creatures' encyclopedia set my grandfather--who passed a couple years ago--got me when I was little (the full set goes for like $400 USED, so replacing it might be impossible for me). They mean a lot to me so I'm prepared to sink a fair bit into getting them shipped, I just hope I can come up with the money when the time comes.

Those are some of the best book series, omg!! I remember borrowing my cousins' Goosebumps books as a kid and just loving them. And I grew up on Babysitter's Club books! And Nancy Drew a bit, too. Thrift stores are often a good start, though I've also gotten quite a few of my 'replacement' books via eBay. It's kind of shocking how cheap you can get books for sometimes, as long as it's not like super rare.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/21 05:02:21 )
@cooperationiskey:
It really does though! I never got into mods like Wicked Whims or anything like that before. Just doing the CAS and making the stories for my Sims is enough. Plus I know those will really mess up my game lol.

I've been to one concert before (besides like high school band and all that.) I actually really liked it and it was for my favorite band too. That concert it was in a small venue so it wasn't that bad for me as far an anxiety goes. And I've actually been to one convention too thinking about it lol. That wasn't bad either and I wasn't alone so it was fine.
Feel free to ping me!
Also, you can call me Seni!

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/21 06:01:51 )

@ArsenicAttitude: Yeah, Wicked Whims is a hefty mod to be sure, but I guess it's understandable with how much extra you could potentially add with it. I have some mods for like, expanding the personalities to six options instead of three, stuff like that. Because I'm a picky bitch when it comes to my characters, lol. Also custom drinks and custom food, because I like options, lol. Oh and the one that lets you do things like change character's outfits after creation, MC Command Center.

Come to think of it, my one concert that wasn't open-air was a fairly small venue, too. Maybe that's why it wasn't too bad for me. o3o What band did you see? (you don't have to answer, I'm just nosy lol)

Please ping me!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.