Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Hobbies! What do YOU do for funsies?

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 01:51:28 )

| ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ꜱᴜʀᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ᴘɪɴɢ ᴍᴇ!
@CooperationIsKey: Completely fair! I buy the odd adopt.
However, most people have strict rules on redesigns, and that turns me away from them, usually.
Although I DID just buy one today

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 02:19:04 )

@ChiffonOrange:
Yeah, LiveJournal was founded in 1999! So it's been around a while. By comparison, Twitter didn't come around until 2006. And of course there were a ton of clones, like DeadJournal and InsaneJournal and such. I think Dreamwidth is probably the one that's the most popular of the surviving clones.

You're definitely right on the blessing/curse of social media. It's great in letting people communicate more easily but it can be a real pain, too, fostering toxic environments at times, and progressively stripping a lot of the personality/ability to customize our profiles and whatnot. I mean customization used to be a huge part of the experience even on most social media but over the years it's gotten more and more 'sanitized' and boring, with a lot less personalizing options. :/

That's why I like Neocities and the whole sort of "yesterweb" movement (i.e. the community of people trying to bring back personal, custom websites)!

@Amber Lynne:
I just really like non-human designs but also I'm not much of an artist? So I can't design my own characters super well, but I fall in love with neat designs other people make pretty regularly. I got this guy recently! I named him Aric and I've gotten art for him despite not having built a profile for him yet lol. I love him a lot. (He's the third of my growing world of monster characters; I think I'm going to have a whole collection of monsters that interact. Besides, Aric needs a boyfriend and the other two existing boys I don't think fit quite right. XD

I actually had to track the Aric's artist down since I expressed interest in him around a year ago but the artist never responded; turned out they'd gotten locked out of their DA account, lmao. But I found their Twitter and got him! :D

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 02:28:37 )
@cooperationiskey: Ohh :o I see! Twitter and well as other social media sites used to be chill (well sorta) until it became a cesspool for drama and arguments. ( ._. ; ) And I didn't know there are many LV clones besides Dreamwidth, and yeah, it's still popular due to how similar it is to LiveJournal. I used have a DW account last year then decided to delete it because I find it embarrassing lol. I might or might not create a new one I guess.

True, as much as I don't the communication part, there's going to be those toxic people you'll come across. And yep, I agree with you about the boring designs or how really plain most of them look. I see, personal/custom websites are cool though c:

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 02:45:39 )

@CooperationIsKey: ooooh, he looks awesome!
Also, damn on the da lockout. Sometimes shit like that happenes, unfortunately.
At least you managed to track 'em down~<3

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 13:39:34 )

@ChiffonOrange: Yeah, I have a Twitter but I really only use it for entering contests, lol. And occasionally reblogging my fave content creators. And talking to one of my siblings. And I kinda get being embarrassed; I don't share my old username anymore and even if it got out, my Dreamwidth posts are private, lol. Just the old stuff though; I doubt I'd lock a new one so tightly. :)

@Amber Lynne: Thanks! And yeah, I was bummed they didn't respond for a long time, and finally took matters into my own hands!

To be perfectly honest there's another in the same batch that I still kinda like, and am still a bit tempted by... >_>;

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 13:49:48 )
@cooperationiskey: I see haha xD I understand there are certain things that you might find them embarrassing which is normal, speaking of usernames, I have plenty of (mostly old but unused) usernames but now I'm starting to regret for having so many usernames to the point where I can't remember one lmao. Ah, my old but deleted Dreamwidth posts aren't... very private but then again, no one wants to see my posts so I'm safe I guess xD

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 14:24:21 )

@ChiffonOrange: I really mostly had one primary username for the better part of 15 years. Maybe a bit longer? Since high school. I finally decided I had enough baggage on that name, though, and decided to start fresh. The people I wanted to stay in contact with are mostly on Facebook these days anyway. Not that I like facebook, but it does help me stay in touch with family and my oldest friends.

It's crazy to think I've been friends with some of these people for about 20 years!

And lol, I do hope to find some small measure of success on youtube, so I'm perfectly happy to leave the past in the past. Mostly, at least.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 14:38:32 )
@cooperationiskey: I see. While it's nice to have only one username, though it does have some disadvantages I suppose. Facebook isn't my forte (despite most of my family are on there) since I seldom use it although it has its pros and cons.

Well holy moly, that's really fortunate to become friends with people you knew for more than 2/5/10/etc. years. ( o. o ) Some of my former classmates whom I befriended with during my high school years have already changed their personality/attitude and ignored me after we graduated from high school. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I agree with you. Clinging onto the past doesn't do well to your well being, sure you can reminiscent the past but moving on to the present is better at least. Sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 14:47:34 )

@ChiffonOrange: For the most part, for me, if it weren't my main source of contact with a bunch of friends and most of my family, I'd drop Facebook like a bad habit. I frickin' hate the site. It's a time-waster and a braincell-killer, I swear it's worse even than TikTok in that regard.

And yeah, I really consider my self lucky to have such long-lasting friendships. Almost all made with people I met online! In fact almost all of my friends are people I met online, or through people I met online, lol. I had no friends in high school, and I tend to think people change a lot, and quickly, after high school. Actually I sort of worry for those who don't change!

Nah, you're fine! And you're right. I have a real problem with clinging to the past due to trauma, but it's something I'm trying to improve on. :)

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 15:00:31 )
@cooperationiskey: I see, same here if it weren't for Facebook Marketplace despite I have already used another website/app that focus on selling preloved items. And true, I'm starting to think Facebook is a bigger time-waster than Tiktok (I don't really hate it, only using it for watching funny/wholesome videos depending on what you want to search) and Youtube (again, same reason as the former lol), and how I really hate FB now requires you to put your real name instead of an alias name. >:I It's like as if they don't want you to have anonymity/privacy.

It seems making friends online sounds a bit easier than making friends in real life lmao. And I see, you're absolutely right! Especially those who used to be bullies or being really mean/rude to others and still refuse to change after they became 21 or so.

Ohh I see. Wish you lots of good luck on improving ^^

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 15:20:01 )

@ChiffonOrange: Oh, you know, I have checked out Facebook Marketplace for rooms to rent, so I guess it's got a little use, lol. And FB has pretty much always required a real name, I just think they started enforcing it more. Which is lousy for many reasons. :/

And oh god yes, I've always found making friends online way easier than friends irl. I think because I have a lot of niche interests so without the internet it's really hard to find people with the same ones! Internet friends saved my life in high school, oh man. I genuinely cannot imagine what my life might have been like without the internet at that time.

And thank you. :)

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 15:32:56 )
@cooperationiskey: Ah, that's understandable. *nods* And yeah, I hate the enforcement of using a real name (even more ironic when the site thinks your real name isn't your real name at all for no explaination/reason).

Same. I guess it has to do with the fact you don't have to meet up with them IRL and some people do seem to talk comfortably with their online friends than their IRL friends and family. And yep, I agree. *nods* Finding people with same interests can be a challenge, hmmm..... if the internet didn't exist, lots of people would be forced to go out and make friends in person which.... it depends on situation. :vivi_sweat: Because not everyone are comfortable to make friends IRL. Then again, social media sites/apps wouldn't exist if that happens. :o

You're very welcome ^^

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 15:43:53 )

@ChiffonOrange:
I have heard of that! People having to prove by sending in copies of their IDs and such that their name is their name! Facebook is also very determined to deadname trans people; if someone hasn't changed their name legally for whatever reason, Facebook can and have given people trouble for it. It's gross, honestly.

I would love to meet up with my online friends irl, though that's not always possible (two of my closest friends are in Serbia and the Philippines, respectively; I'm in the States so there's a bit of distance!). I have met up with some friends, even lived with a handful! And yeah, there are things I can talk about with online friends that I sure can't talk about irl to friends or family. I think one of the things I like most about internet friendships is being able to think out what I'm saying before I hit enter/post, you know? It's better for my trouble of either blurting things out or clamming up during voice convos. Heck sometimes during voice calls in discord I'll still type in the text chat because of my fear of interrupting, lol.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 20:00:41 )

@CooperationIsKey: hah, fair. However, Hopefully if you Do go for it, you don't run into the same snags as with this boy.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/17 21:03:52 )

@Amber Lynne: I mean at least now I know where to find the artist!

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/18 00:15:47 )

@CooperationIsKey: Very true! If nothing else, there's that~<3

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/18 01:01:10 )
@cooperationiskey: Wait, really? That's a big red flag there. No social media site or app would ask you for your IDs or anything personal just to prove their name is real or not. And I can't believe Facebook would really do this to trans people or people who hasn't changed their name legally which I find it (Facebook) really lowly.

I see. That's understandable. *nods* And yeah, at least text chat still exists besides voice calls/chat, haha thank goodness for text chats! I too fear of interrupting other people's conversation since I usually don't know what to say ( > w> ; )

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/18 04:44:33 )

@Ava: I love Stardew Valley; it's so darned adorable! And also quite the time vortex, I find; I boot it up and suddenly it's like six hours later and the sun has set. :vanora_xd:

Also I said it on a certain other site, but your hamster is adorable. :3

@ChiffonOrange: Oh yes, I know people who've had to prove they're them to keep their accounts open. It's ridiculous.

I have a tendency to get talked over or accidentally talk over people myself, so I'm often paranoid of interrupting. Having a text chat option really does help!

Please ping me!

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/18 06:36:50 )
@cooperationiskey: Yep, that sucks. :/

True, true. Text chat is a lifesaver for most people. Should one wants to chit chat with others without interrupting someone else's voice call.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/18 08:42:17 )
I don’t really have many hobbies. ;_; I used to read a lot but lately I don’t have the energy to do that. It kind of takes a lot out of me; I feel tired and sluggish…I used to draw but I don’t have the motivation to do that lately either. Also I stopped playing games.

I mainly just watch Netflix, DVDs and YouTube and cook sometimes. And go to my cooking course classes. My life is so dull and boring. >.<

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.