Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Welcome Committee Hello hello!

Donator — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 21:57:55 )
Hiya! My name's Klaw. Long story short, I found my way here through Menewsha X3

I used to roleplay there, gosh, seven years ago? Maybe eight? And I recently got the hankering to get back into it. Not to go to too many details but, my life basically went upside down for the past several years and the dust is FINALLY settling. I'm looking forward to making new friends and being more active here!

My PM's are always open to new people c:

A little about me: I like sci-fi, fantasy, tabletop roleplaying games, cyberpunk (the genre, not the game, which I haven't gotten a chance to try yet), and I'd love to talk with people about their favorite books, movies, games, literary tropes, etc :P I can be a bit wordy at times as a fair warning but I try to keep it contained x3 Hmmm, what else? That's about it! I love writing and making original characters and I'd love to chat about people's OCs some time~

Donator — He/Him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 22:31:45 )
hey there, welcome! ^^ I'd talk about books and stuff with you! :D

Donator — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 22:40:18 )
@Shark: Hi!

What's your favorite genre? Do you have a favorite author?

I'm VERY partial to Fantasy, and most of my favorite authors are fantasy writers c: Though, if they have a book in a different genre I definitely snag that one as well! My current favorite series is The Stormlight Archives, an epic fantasy story that merges fantasy with sci-fi in interesting ways, by my favorite current author, Brandon Sanderson ^u^

Come to think of it, my last favorite author ALSO mixed sci-fi and fantasy x3 Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series starts off as fantasy and then makes an abrupt turn into sci-fi in some of the later books. Merging genres like that is something that I aspire to be able to do with my writing one day :vanora_heart:

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 23:44:33 )
Low, keep your head, keep your head low...
.......................................Oh, you gotta keep your head low...

Hello! Welcome to Voltra!

If were are here to talk about favorite books one of my favorite series is Magic Bites (Kate Daniels), its a urban fantasy book that has everything from vampires to shifters, to ancient beings. its 10/10 have read like 14 times.

...If you wanna keep your head

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 23:45:16 )

@Klawaw: Hey, welcome! Yay somebody to talk about literary tropes with! Which is your favourite? Which do you hate?

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 23:58:44 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

@Klawaw: Welcome! hope youl have fun here ^^
Wich rpgs do you play? Personally i play DND ;w;
And i also love talking about similer stuffs :^D

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

Donator — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 00:39:16 )
Preemptively apologizing for wall of text >_>

@Fading Kings: Oooooh, I've been trying to get into Urban Fantasy as a genre! I really like it, but most of the ones I've found seem to be young adult romance, and I tend to avoid stories that focus on that. I love reading about it, but too often when it's made the focus of the story it just falls flat for me. That could be because I don't know very many authors that focus in it though x3 I'll definitely add it to my "To Read" Pile! If you have any other recs in the genre I'd love to read them! I adore that blend of modern day and fantasy, and how different authors handle it differently. Was magic always there? Were they hiding in the shadows? Or did something happen that released magic back into the world? What's your favorite take on it? :D

@sunny: God, I know it's cliche but I really do adore the fantasy trope of "ordinary person goes on an incredibly journey" but only if they don't have any like, particularly special abilities. Like, if they're born special I lose almost all of my interest, but if the thing that makes them special is that they're confident, or persistent, or kind? I basically just eat that up! As for what I hate....I'm not sure if it counts as a trope, but the "cold and mean but wait they're actually just nice with a tragic past you should be nice to them!" It just feels incredibly flat to me, like, I've seen it done poorly so many times that I've lost interest. Give me characters whose tragic pasts made them kinder! Made them better people! Who still have that heart of steel! What about yours? :3c

@GoblinsAndTea: Hello! I started with DnD and it still holds a VERY special place in my heart, but honestly I prefer 3.5e so now I mostly play Pathfinder if I can find a game! Other than that, I've been running Urban Shadows games for some of my friends, and I really want to try Monster of the Week, Shadowrun, and hmmmm, there was one more I can't remember off the top of my head, ApocalypseWorld I think? I'm a big fan of any system that uses the Powered By The Apocalypse framework! I have a ton of OCs that I'm just DYING to play, but none of my friends DM so I end up just sitting there like ;A; please...run a game for me..... It's been interesting (frustrating) trying to balance my desire to play with the burnout of ONLY running games, especially because my players definitely aren't as pro-active as I'd prefer for my first DMing experiences. Do you run games? Do you have a few characters that you play or do you make new characters for every game?

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 00:53:36 )

@Klawaw: yesss I love kind characters with a tragic past. Usually tragic pasts as a narrative tools make me rolls my eyes but it feels so revolutionary when the character is kind and soft, and stays kind and soft.
What genres do you write? I write a lot of spec fic personally!

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 00:54:49 )

@Klawaw:

I am the same way! I usually don't care too much about urban fantasy but the whole point of the book is when there is a shift between magic and tech- like there are actual times when things are just normal and then boom there is a shift and suddenly that sweet old lady down the road is a banshee crying on top of a tree! It does have some romance elements to it, but its slow burn took like three books and they characters have so much like actual attraction and development for them its great. It's aimed for adults which is good considering sometimes there is a spicy scene or two. I also adore Kate Daniels the main character she's just got so much personality to her and ya know classic hidden secrets but they are good secrets you want to learn.

There are a few other I have read but I cannot remember the name right now, when I do I'll ping it back to you!

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 00:56:44 )
Hi there and welcome to Voltra :frizzhappy:

Donator — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 01:11:44 )
@sunny: Exactly! And when you get to see the internal struggle of trying to remain kind in a world determined to hurt them i just ;A; Instantly my favorite character in whatever series it is. As for writing, I mostly write fantasy right now! It's technically urban fantasy, but the bulk of my characters are non-humans that are far enough away from human settlements that they don't really know too much about humanity. I also write a fair amount of body horror because I'm fascinated with the question of like, "How far removed from humanity can a character become before they stop being human?" but I don't want to play for it in a like, "Striving to be more powerful" way, but rather a "This is a terrible thing that has been done to them" kind of way. I'd love to see some of your work!

@Fading Kings: Oooh that definitely sounds up my alley then! Slowburn romances are :vanora_heart: In one of my favorite book series there's like, three slowburn romances. One of them like, predates the series start by like ten years and you get to see parts of it in flashbacks and it is just LOVELY. When I see two characters connect in that way, I want to be able to really feel like they've been yearning for each other! And, YES, I love the urban fantasy stories that tackle that :D the angle of "People that were human but are no longer." (bonus points if they tackle societal changes as a result of that difference but I know that's a tall order.) Thank you so much for telling me about the books! I'll let ya know once I get a chance to read some of them.

@ChiffonOrange: Thank you for the welcome! I'm happy to be here :D

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 01:21:03 )

@Klawaw:

Yes! That's why I love his one so much. The shapeshifter is like a group of people who can become like wereanimals and they have like strict codes they have to follow bc pack and order ect ect and its just a really fun take on it (like how they can go "loup" during turning and become just a wild animal almost and the cause and effect from it). Also the leader of the pact Curran is my favorite character. He's just so fun.

The vampires in this universe are more like piloted murder and intel machines controlled by an outside force. Plus, they do a good job of bringing in myths and items you wouldn't expect.

It's set in a post magic shift Atlanta but occasionally mentions other parts of the world or goes to it.

Donator — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 01:41:58 )
@Fading Kings: Wereanimals? Does that mean more than just wolves?! Listen, I love me a good werewolf story but you have actually just cemented this series' place in my list as "read immediately" if the other took the time to actually consider other weres/shapeshifters (and, from a quick google search where I spotted the word "werehyena" that's a definite yes!) Love the concept of "louping", it reminds me a little of how Buffy the Vampire Slayer handled their werewolves, except a chance thing and not the default state :P

And, a unique take on vampires? THANK YOU. There's only so many times I can read the same concept before it gets boring and it's nice to know some fresh ideas are being introduced :D

I'll definitely send you a message once I've started reading~

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 01:52:46 )

@Klawaw:

It's my favorite series. There are werelions, Werewolves, Werehyenas, Werebears, Wererat and more! It's been about a year/two since I read it all again so I am trying to recall more but it looks like I've already sold you :)

But yes please let me know how you like it when you start reading it.

Mr. Spider wants M̷̖̥͓̋͆́̚o̶̟͛̅r̴̨͍͔̦̰͙̈́e̵̝͑̆͐

Donator — She Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 02:29:17 )
@klawaw: hello there welcome to voltra .. I'm from menewsha too :) I sent u some goodies.. enjoy

Donator — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 02:43:40 )
@LilMissKushy: Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! I'm really happy to be here, it's lovely to know so many people from Menewsha came here as well <3 I have some fantastic memories on that site c:
Please ping me! Responses may be slow~ I often don't have internet or cell coverage

Donator — She Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 02:54:19 )
@klawaw: your very welcome ^.^ happy you could join us .. I love this site as much as I loved menewsha everyone is just as nice and friendly.. me too it was my first avatar site that I played on :)

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 03:26:25 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

@Klawaw: Personally ive never DMd! I dont know exactly how long but it hasent been a year yet that i started play dnd!
I make so many ocs in my free time it came naturally that i made some to play with eventually aswel. Every game i use a difrent character! However so far it hasent been that much *cough cough* only 2 :') *cough*

For my main campaign wich i play every sunday i play as a Homebrew Subrace Tiefling! (A fruitling, basicly just a tiefing inspired by a fruit and have a +1 Con instead of Char). Hes called Wendell, hes pink and hes a sorcerer! Wendell is on a mission to save his sister from an evil vampire! But seeing as he only has an 8 for strengt he wont get far without help :')

And then i also played in a oneshot once withe a character called Artrox, hes a minotaur (highland cow inspired). Hes a barbarian and has a peanut brain. Muscle with a heart of gold. Loves giving hugs (migh squish you tho) and helping his friends in need.
Id love to play him in more oneshots tho!

Then some ideas i had:
A half elf rogue who lost his wife to a terible sickness and is now searching for a necromancer,
A faun bard whos actually ace and aro but just loves performing and causing chaos,
A tiefling tinkerer who grew up with their astronomer mom and now want to explore the world and find themself,
An earth genasi druid.... just so i can say "i speak for the trees, the trees said fuck you"

Thats all for now... but more wwill most def come lol

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — He/Him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 04:02:39 )
@Klawaw: I like fantasy YA stuff mostly :3 not sure if I have a favorite author yet, but Leigh Bardugo's stuff is really good.

I'll have to check out those series! o:

I love books with lots of characters that develop strong friendships over time.

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 07:18:24 )

"migikata ni murasaki choucho kisu o shita kono heya no"

Hi there and welcome! :D I like making characters as well, but sometimes I procrastinate on their backstories and whatnot. ^^;
I mostly lurk, but will post from time to time.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.