Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Welcome Committee Hello hello!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 18:04:35 )

@Klawaw: Hi welcome to Voltra. We are happy to have you!

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 18:49:01 )

@Klawaw: I love writing body horror! Give me allllll that grotesque description! I have been trying to get into urban fantasy but I just cannot manage it. I really want to write something in that genre! Do you have any tips?
Maybe I will share my current story with you when it's finished. It's a magic realism story about 2 witches in futuristic India. There's a lot of Hindu mythology and magic!

Donator — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/3 05:45:30 )
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to everyone! Today ended up being MUCH busier than I expected and I didn't want to respond before I could really sit down and take a minute!

@GoblinsAndTea: OOOOH New player!!! Welcome to DnD! I hope you have a ton of fun! It seems like your DM and group is making sure you remember it's all just a game and doesn't have to be grim, dark, and serious all of the time! Your fruitling sounds adorable! I hope he's able to rescue his sister before she gets turned 0_0 I had a tiefling character with an absolutely unpronounceable name, but halfway through their campaign they got partially possessed by a Shadow Demon, so everyone just started calling them Shade c: All muscle, no brain characters are some of my favorites to play. I have a half-elf Barbarian that fits that to a T. She's dumb as a box of rocks but so full of love it's ridiculous. Those ideas all sound really fun and I hope you're able to play them all!

@Shark: Please tell me if you pick up any of Sanderson's work! If you like YA, I recommend starting with either his stand-alone book The Rithmatist, set in an alternate Earth where the united states are actually the United Islands, and there are these little chalk creatures that are running rampant! The main character has to figure out how skilled Rithmatists (People who have the ability to bring chalk to life) are mysteriously disappearing while also struggling with having no powers in a school where everyone is a Rithmatist. It's really good! If you prefer a little more action adventure, his Mistborn Trilogy is like, a fantasy heist series where the main characters are trying to kill a god. There are so many lovely twists and turns, I could re-read that series ten times and still discover something new I'm sure!

@KittyBeary: I am absolutely guilty of that :viocry: It's like "OH hey here's a new OC!" 'Oh cool where did they come from' "....*crickets*.....uhm.....north?" Sometimes you just gotta DESIGN a character and not worry about silly details like "Personality" and "Interests" and "Genre" :P

@totalanimefan: Thank you so much! I'm really happy to be here!

@sunny: My biggest tip is to think about how much magic you want in the world! You can go kind of "low magic" where there's a secret, hidden world of magic, or you can go all the way up to "magic is fully integrated with the world" but at every step, think about how that impacts things. If magic is real and common, are most doctors magicians? What is the price that you have to pay for magic? I find having a cost for it helps keep it from being an overpowered thing. For instance, if curing your broken wrist costs some of your memories, you might be more willing to go to a doctor and wait it out in a cast, yeah?

I would LOVE to read what you're writing right now! And if I ever get the courage to share some of my own work... >_> The main OC I'm working on and fleshing out right now went through some pretty awful stuff. I've never been a very good gauge of what is and is not too much as far as horror is concerned so to put it briefly, their name is now The Hive and they used to be a beekeeper. For a less horror, recent OC, I have a human doctor who's been cursed so that he hops between dimensions when he sleeps, sometimes. He can never predict when, but it started happening when he already had a full life built on a low-magic Urban Fantasy Earth, so now he's struggling to find a way back home, and a way to make sure he STAYS home. Every time a 'jump' lasts longer than a few months, he starts being afraid that he'll be stuck there with no way back to his husband.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/3 06:18:15 )

"migikata ni murasaki choucho kisu o shita kono heya no"

@Klawaw: Haha yes ;-; I'm terrible with keeping a consistency with OCs. Every few months I'll go back to one for a few days then lose motivation...

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/3 18:28:40 )

@Klawaw: Also here's a newbie Guide That might help you out.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/3 20:41:40 )

@Klawaw: Those are good tips, thank you for taking the time to write them out for me. It's certainly made the task of writing urban fantasy less.... daunting :O I didn't even think about having a consequence for magic! That is something I should probably have thought about lol.
I am super interested in The Hive? Are they a literal hive of bees? Super interesting!!!!
Also your poor guy swapping between dimensions. I bet that plotline is a good way to eek out some angst! I love weird stories like that tbh, stories that are quite scary, when you think about it. Like, your guy might never get home to his husband :( scary and sad!
Sorry if I ramble, I just do that sometimes :O

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/3 20:54:36 )

@Klawaw: also forgot to say that you should def have the confidence to share your work! Do you partake in exchanges? For fanfic or for original work?

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/5 01:00:48 )
@KittyBeary: Hey! As long as you’re making progress on them, it doesn’t matter how long it takes, right? :D I’ve got an OC I’ve revisited on and off for, gosh, ten years now? She’s finally in what I think is her ‘final’ design, but who knows if I’ll change my mind in the future!

@Totalanimefan: Oooooooh OwO Thank you! That was super helpful! I was wondering what was up with the spaceship shaking X3

@sunny: Yay! I’m glad it helped! And yeah it’s the kind of thing that seems obvious when it’s been pointed out but it really isn’t! It’s actually a general tip I have for any setting that has magic! Even if the price is something like “It’s really difficult to learn.” That still leads into questions of “Then who learns it? Why do they learn it? Are they sponsored (through a guild, or a ruler, or even other mages)? Do they charge for their services because of how long it took?”

I’m glad you like Hive!! It’s a little bit complicated, what they are, but they’re both a person and a literal hive of bees.
Basically they ended up ingesting some of the parasitic larvae in the raw honey from an experimental magical bee/wasp species they didn’t realize they’d been given. The honey from this species is an opiate, it relieves pain, and so they didn’t realize that the bees were eating through them and replacing parts with honeycomb/hive material until the insects ate a hole out of the body and Hive began to experience the Queen’s commands.

They do their best to fight against the instincts of the Queen and mostly succeed, but they must continue to ingest the honey to keep themselves alive. They’re actually from the same base world as the doctor! They don’t know each other, though I have toyed with the thought of them meeting~ And yes! So much wonderful angst! It actually originally started as an AU because I was CRAVING angst of mine and my friend’s OC (his husband) and I just happened to play him in a fantasy DnD game at the same time and I was like “oh but what if it’s literally him and not just a fantasy AU of him!"

Uhm, I actually only recently started writing again >_> I’m honestly really shy because I got burned a lot when I was younger. I had a lot of friends in high school that would promise they’d read my work, and then either a: never do it or b: lie to me and pretend that they had :( It reached a point where I was just so tired of being lied to about it I just…stopped writing. BUT!! I’m working on changing that now and making sure all of my OCs have their time in the spotlight! It’s been really nice to just write for me again, especially because I’ve made some friends that I can actually trust to read my stuff….granted, only two of them, but that’s because the rest of my friends are super squeamish :P (hence my extreme caution with talking about Hive and my other Body Horror OCs. Even what I put in spoilers there was too much for one of my friends. As for the other question, I actually only write original work these days! I just haven’t had a fandom in a while, nothing has really caught me in that way ever since Homestuck ended.
Please ping me! Responses may be slow~ I often don't have internet or cell coverage

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/5 01:24:24 )

@Klawaw: Great ^^ Make sure you click it daily. ^^

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/6 05:21:42 )

"migikata ni murasaki choucho kisu o shita kono heya no"

@Klawaw: Yup. :D Sometimes I need breaks from them in order to come up with new things for them. =w=
I mostly lurk, but will post from time to time.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.