Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Been feeding the crows

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/1 16:43:46 )
I love birds, but can't have a pet bird at my current apartment. (I mean, the landlord would allow it, but I don't have the space/money for one right now.) I've taken to feeding the local crows, for better or for worse.

My apartment is full of shady characters who kinda low-key threaten me on the regular, so I don't wanna go outside or draw attention to myself. So instead I toss peanuts from my 3rd story window and the crows swoop down into the parking lot. There's three right now; one of them is very brave and gets most of the peanuts, but the other 2 are a little scared of the parking lot so they usually only get one peanut each before the brave one eats them all. Sometimes we're visited by another murder and I've had 6 crows total at once, but that's rare.

They've started to sit on the railing outside my window in the morning and caw at me until I throw peanuts. I feel so loved.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/1 17:16:49 )
Crows have an amazing memory. I fed the ones near my childhood home and they'd follow me to and from school.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/1 18:03:12 )

Crows make great allies! Sounds like you have the beginnings of a good friendship.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — He/Him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/1 21:21:14 )
lol yeah I like to do that. They never seem to remember where they come from, but they always gobble em up.

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/2 18:10:46 )

Crows are great. Befriend them, then see if people in your apartment still bother you when you're surrounded by a bunch of ominous black birds...

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/3 15:50:17 )
@Koah: Yeah I'm learning about their memories! I have a friend who feeds some over by her place, and they've taken to following her to and from the convenience store across the street.

@sunny: There's one in particular who's braver than the rest (probably because it's about a time and a half the size of any crow I've seen) that I'm hoping to get more familiar with.

@Nephila: Hahaha, right!?? Deer can be super brazen! I grew up way out in the country (I am a certified hillbilly) and the deer there were super wild and skittish, but now that I'm living in town they'll just walk right by when I'm out walking my tiny dog. They don't give a single darn about anything.

@Ava: Lately the crows have been coming around more and more and I'm wondering if there's less food for them right now. The rain has been really bad lately; maybe it's knocking seeds off the trees that they usually eat? I plan to get a bigger bag of food for them next time I go to the store.

@Bioshock: here's hoping.

@Count Trashula: that's the plan! It's an interesting sort of powerful feeling to have my apartment window surrounded by crows lmao

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/3 18:50:46 )

@Synth: only problem i have with crows hanging around the house is when they decide to play around on the roof while i'm trying to sleep. I could swear they're up there playing basketball with the walnuts from the neighbor's tree.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — She,Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/3 23:54:07 )
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
How to break a heart
It is not difficult
Anyone can do it
So could you, if you tried
Just find a light
And switch it off
As easy as blinking
~Emilie Autumn

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Synth: awe you have a mini murder
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
Human emotion is energy.
You cant always see it or hear it, but you can feel it.
Ever had deja vu?
Felt someone walk over your grave?
Ever felt someone behind you in an empty room?
Well there was. There always is.
A ghost.
~Torchwood

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/4 18:25:27 )
@Ava: Ahhh that's really cool!

@Count Trashula: Haha, I believe it! These ones will sometimes fly onto the roof above my window. I think they're drinking from the gutter maybe? Before I started feeding them I'd look up and see their tails just hanging off of the roof since they had their backs to the edge.

@Kittyzilla: It's getting bigger every day! I don't know how word gets around but I swear there's another crow every other day or so. I'm waiting for someone to notice and yell at me about it lol

@Nephila: Yeah rabbits never seem to be very tame, unless they're a pet already. I don't think we have any rabbits where I'm at now; I dont' think I've seen one in the few years since I've moved here actually.

Donator — She,Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/4 22:56:44 )
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
How to break a heart
It is not difficult
Anyone can do it
So could you, if you tried
Just find a light
And switch it off
As easy as blinking
~Emilie Autumn

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Synth: i'm hoping i'll get a murder this year or maybe my murder will notice we moved (kind moved across the street ish .. its more high way but still) use to have crow friends at my old house so i hope the come visit at the new house we had a couple of them who hang out in the back yard when fall hit scoping us out. but hopefully when the summer hits more will come
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
Human emotion is energy.
You cant always see it or hear it, but you can feel it.
Ever had deja vu?
Felt someone walk over your grave?
Ever felt someone behind you in an empty room?
Well there was. There always is.
A ghost.
~Torchwood

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/6 00:16:06 )

How are the crows doing?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 11:40:40 )

@synth: Ooooh lucky you! It's very sweet of you to feed them.
I love crows too, they are very intelligent animals and have huge meanings in variety of mythologies.

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 13:48:18 )
@Kittyzilla: If you went back your old murder might notice you. I don't know if they'd be able to figure out you moved and come with you though, maybe!

@Totalanimefan: Oh pretty good. The really big one had a whole corn dog in his mouth the other day! Like, there wasn't even a bite taken out of this corn dog.

@Edelaen: Yes, they're so smart! I continue to be impressed by them. I've had an interest in them before I started looking into my family's pagan roots but have more respect for them now as well. I believe there's a quote from Odin saying not to trust the cawing of crows though, haha.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 14:15:03 )

@synth: Oh, paganism - is my fav topic, because I'm Norse pagan myself. 8D
Odin the Allfather has two crows with him - Hugin (The Thinking One) and Munin (The Remembering One) - they are his "news reporters", who fly around Midgard (our human world) and then report him back what they've found out.
What about never trusting in cawing of crows - Never heard about this but it sounds interesting. It may be kenning then, who knows... 8D

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 14:17:41 )
@Edelaen: I'm unsure where it's from exactly! My family's Swedish and so I've been getting into the Norse mythology. My family didn't raise me with the gods in mind, but I've been learning that a lot of our "family quirks" are actually just accidental Swedish tradition from my grandma (her father was a Swedish immigrant and raised her Swedish, so she raised my dad Swedish, and he raised us Swedish without really realizing it). We also grew up in the middle of nowhere and were just pagan without realizing it.

My wife is a historian and once I started getting into it she started researching it out of curiosity and she dug up that line about the crows.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 14:21:55 )

@synth: What a lucky you! I've got baltic/slavic/germanic heritage, but I'm sooo much into Norse. Do you speak Swedish though? I'm learning Norwegian. Do you live in Sweden anyway? You guys have outstandingly beautiful country, it swallows my heart fully! I'm from Lithuania. But I live currently in Moscow now. 8D

Donator — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 14:33:52 )
@Edelaen: I'm in the USA, on the west coast actually. I grew up truly in the middle of nowhere, on a mountain that really looks like Swedish country. Because of the isolation and multiple generations living in the area we sort of created this little Swedish enclave. I didn't realize this as a kid and I don't think my dad really realizes (if you asked him we're just weird rednecks), but it's pretty cool.

I don't speak Swedish but have been learning. I really want to visit one day though!
ping me for best results

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 14:45:17 )

@synth: I like what you are saying. This feels like a little fairytale. I'd also like to travel through all Scandinavia but settle down especially in Norway. It attracts me very much. Sweden is also fantastic country. I love little Scandinavian houses, you know. They look so cute and cozy, I'm dreaming to live in one of these once. Good luck with learning Swedish!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 17:12:33 )

@Synth: OMG What is he gonna do with a whole corn dog lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.