Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Religious names?

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/20 01:13:54 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

So i make alot of chraracters, ofc most characters i try to give a name. But i was wondering some things.

So i grew up having some catholic classes in school (from 6 to 12) but after i turned 13 i stopped and decided to go with ethics (in belgium you need to get atleast 2 hours of a religion/ethics class but you can chose wich one you want to do). I didnt mind as i never really believed in any religion, i just chose catholic class when i was younger bc 1 my friends where in it and 2 whenever i heard the ethics teacher talk it was contstantly like "theres nothing when you die" and u kno, as somebody with a great fear of death that kinda effed me up.

So in short, im not at all qualified to really decide.

But my question is, is it ok to use a religions god/higher being/angels/Demons name for my character?
I know people name their pets and children Thor, Loki, Hera, Anubis ect
But i also know that sk*nwalker not ok to use.

Is that because nordic, greek and egyption religion isnt practiced anymore? Or am i compleatly wrong and are those names also wrong to use?
But i know some people name their children Jesus, Mohamed, Adam ect but those arent really gods... right?

I have a character i made some years ago i called Hera, and a few months ago i finally was able to shell her as a BJD (DV Gloria for anybody thats curious) But in that time i had a conversation with somebody that they dont like their gods name to be used outside of their religion (it wasent about my doll but it still stickd with me) i also dont remember who it was that told me that so i cant even ask them what religion.

Any help is greatly apreciated!

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/20 02:16:33 )
@GoblinsAndTea:
I believe *personally!!* It is okay to use religions god/higher being/angels/Demons names for characters.

Not everyone will be happy with it but it is okay to use pre-existing names to name creations.

As long as it is not copyright-able it's okay.

But this in my opinion and plus you can name your creations whatever you please after all it *IS* your creation no one can say squat about it.

I hope this helps XC

Come join me at my lil
&

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/20 04:02:23 )
@goblinsandtea: chars for stories is high key tough to decide. You have to mind youre lore, current world situation/era etc just to decide a simple name

i would still think to use religions names sparingly tho.. just my opinion. You can use it if the background plot matches it needs for the story.

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/21 00:38:38 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

I thank everybody who has replied so far! I think just to be safe i will change my characters name.
Im kinda tired and dont rly have the motivation to give propper replys, but i will... soon
for now

@Nephila:

I put it in a spoiler incase somebody might have a phobia

Please dont mind her... look... shes far from done :')
(still gotta find somebody that makes propper clothes in her size, get/give her a face-up, a body blush... mayby even dye parts of her... lots og work...)

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/21 01:49:49 )
my end of perspective is not really about getting offended by readers.. in which it is also something writer can be minded of

my focus is more on the plot rather who the people are reading it. As I mention it again, the naming is for the purpose of showcasing the world's lore and the name makes it worth your read. then yea, name that char for its ultimate synbol OvO

as the most amateur writer as me, i did wrote a short lived story project before. The topic of interest was souls. And i have given my main char after its story topic of interest. I am impressed to all writers who have been commited to their stories cos i know how much investment it has been just to make their story exist and worth a read. I still hope that despite what i said, your passion will not wither but instead give an opportunity to blaze much more
月の兎 ☆★☆ 鹿の光
カイル • WISHLIST

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/23 18:05:44 )

A huge chunk of names have some kind of religious origin IRL; it's actually hard sometimes to find names that don't come from some kind of prominent religious figure, be it a prophet, saint, deity, angel, etc. Most people just use whatever they think sounds good and don't care where it comes from or what it originally meant. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'll agree that when it comes to well-known figures, especially from actively practiced religions (whether you are a follower of them or not, but perhaps more so if you're not), it's a good idea to at least understand your character's (or pet's or child's or whoever else's) namesake and know its significance. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to "Is this offensive?" because everyone--including people within that religion--will have a different opinion. If you do choose to name your character after a deity or other prominent figure, just be informed about it and be prepared for the possibility that yes, someone out there may find it disrespectful even if that was not your intention. But also know that this can happen with pretty much anything. If that makes you uncomfortable, just changing the name and saying you were inspired by a certain religious figure is also fine. Choosing names can be difficult but also lots of fun when you get into learning about all their various origins and connections. You'll see that all names have some sort of meaning, and many of them go totally unnoticed by most people. You name your kid "God", you're gonna get funny looks. But naming a character Hera, probably a lot less so. There are real-life people out there named Hera today.

ALWAYS PING ME

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.