Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 09:08:28 )

Are you near any of the riots going on?

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 09:09:21 )

I hope you are safe and take care!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 11:34:44 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

So far there's none in where I come from. And I'm sorry that you're going through hard times

Donator — Any Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 15:17:57 )

》::: ✿・`.*
My citys protest was actually peaceful uwu. We marched around and the cops just let us
*.`・✿ ::: 《

Please ping me!

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 16:30:32 )
No we dont have actual riots where i come from
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 18:03:33 )

They haven't been close enough for me to see/encounter, but there have been protests in my city which have spiked into violence a few times. As far as I know, nothing major... but some idiots were apparently throwing rocks at firemen who were trying to help someone? jfc.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 18:40:27 )

There were some altercations in Dallas, though not very near where I live. Things were peaceful until the protesters tried to block the freeway. The police responded with tear gas and rubber bullets.

The whole situation makes me sad.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 18:58:10 )

They've happened in Denver already, which is about an hour/hour and a half from me (depending on which part of Denver it was, idk).
Usually what happens in Denver on the media, will end up happening where I live. Specifically in my job's shopping strip. And I work at Target, which everyone is, well, targetting. And Sunday nights are usually when it happens. And its Sunday, I work tonight...

itty bitty bit nervous lol I'm sure we'll be alright though. I think most people are more interested in peacefully protesting. I hope!

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 20:15:02 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

Rochester under state of emergency
Buffalo had a peaceful protest almost get run over, but they got the ass out in time. There's another one planned, but the person organizing it is clueless and has allowed bad cops, white supremacists, etc to join in, which means that's gonna be a riot
The reports mom's been getting is that none of the rioteers are even from the state, much less the individual cities

I'm halfway between the two, as in if a thing from each city leaves at the same time, they'll arrive within ten minutes of each other
Fortunately, that's about an hour of driving to get anywhere of worth to/from said cities
Nearby? Crop fields. Some riding horses. Cow farms. Neighbors who are either related or keep to themselves. Very much not rioteer fuel

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 20:55:09 )

There were riots in London, outside the US embassy. I'm nowhere near London but just wanted to bring it up because it shows how rapidly this has spread. People are understandably angry and I hope change comes from this.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 21:59:13 )
Trump just labeled Antifa terrorists. Black businesses being burnt down left and right. High end jewelry stores being robbed. People figured out that if you all group together to break the law there aren't enough cops to stop you.

It is so sad that the entire message of controlling police action is now completely lost to mindless looting. Martin Luther King Jr has a few quotes on this.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/3243704-and-i-must-say-tonight-that-a-riot-is-the

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/what-martin-luther-king-thought-about-urban-riots/

Urban riots must now be recognized as durable social phenomena. They may be deplored, but they are there and should be understood. Urban riots are a special form of violence. They are not insurrections. The rioters are not seeking to seize territory or to attain control of institutions. They are mainly intended to shock the white community. They are a distorted form of social protest. The looting which is their principal feature serves many functions. It enables the most enraged and deprived Negro to take hold of consumer goods with the ease the white man does by using his purse. Often the Negro does not even want what he takes; he wants the experience of taking. But most of all, alienated from society and knowing that this society cherishes property above people, he is shocking it by abusing property rights. There are thus elements of emotional catharsis in the violent act. This may explain why most cities in which riots have occurred have not had a repetition, even though the causative conditions remain. It is also noteworthy that the amount of physical harm done to white people other than police is infinitesimal and in Detroit whites and Negroes looted in unity.

A profound judgment of today’s riots was expressed by Victor Hugo a century ago. He said, ‘If a soul is left in the darkness, sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.’
https://streamable.com/l8ysz

Voltie — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 07:21:38 )
Someone was just shot and killed in my city in the past few hours.
No confirmation on whether they were shot by an officer or civilian so far.
They're using tear gas and pepper bullets at multiple locations.
I'm listening to the police scanner and it's freaking me out.

I live in Iowa, not in a major city, stuff like this doesn't normally happen here and large-scale protests aren't really a thing.
All of the protests before now that have happened in the past week have been larger than usual (in the hundreds), but peaceful.
I don't even know what happened tonight, but we're in a state of emergency and no one can leave home.
People started looting at some point, but I'm not sure if it was before or after the shooting.

According to the scanner, police are questioning and detaining anyone they see out whether they're involved or not.
Earlier they expressed that they would arrest first and ask questions later if they have to, releasing anyone who wasn't involved once it's calmed down.
The closest riot location is about half a mile from my house.
Plus they are investigating a group that has gathered at a nearby gas station.

Sorry if my thoughts are coming out scattered, a lot is happening here right now.

~Edits are under the spoiler.~
They're updates of the situation going on here that others may not be interested in, so I've hidden them.

edit;; National Guard may have been called in and given permission to use force.
It's an unconfirmed rumor, but we already have police force from all of the surrounding cities called in for backup and they still need more, so I could see it being true.
I really hate all of this and I hope that everyone is able to stay safe through the night.

another edit;; Confirmation on the scanner that they're "bringing in humvees".
I don't know whether that means they're National Guard though.
I'm unsure if the police force in the area has those type of vehicles or not.

yet another edit;; Apparently there were two separate shootings earlier and I missed one of them.
The second person who was shot is recovering in the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Unsure as to whether they were shot by police or a civilian either, but they were at a different location where looting had been attempted.

The police also shot at a suspect just before 3 AM CST and are pursuing them now.
I'm unsure what they are suspected of, the audio has been very hectic.
They're in pursuit of another person in relation to the rioting who is armed in my aunt's neighborhood and was last spotted a couple blocks from there, so I'm following that closely.
A few people (unrelated to suspects they're in pursuit of) were just taken into custody for "filming and running their mouth".
The area near my own home has been cleared for now, but police are still on high alert.

I can't stop editing;; It's about 4:30 AM now and since my last update an officer has been shot and pursuits have moved back into my area, but overall the situation has calmed down.
I'm unsure of the officer's condition, but no death has been reported, so I'm assuming they're alive.
There's a lot less happening on the scanner now.
News outlets haven't been able to keep up with everything, so I can't find any official reports about most of the things that happened, even though I heard them in real time on the scanner.
They've said they will have official reports in the morning and that people should continue to shelter in place until further notice.
There was never any update on the National Guard coming in, so unless circumstances change I'll assume it was just a rumor.

So much has happened overnight, I can't even really wrap my head around it.
This post isn't even everything that happened and just the highlights of what I caught on the scanner.
I'll be interested to read an article with some sort of timeline of events when I get the chance because none of this makes sense.

Stay safe out there, everyone! ✌

final edit;; Confirmation that they're considering calling in the National Guard and we're getting a curfew.
They also confirmed some of the events of the night, but not much.

I lied, this is the final edit;; Here's a timeline for the major events of the night.
There were apparently 40+ major crimes reported last night, but these were the ones that escalated the furthest.

It's now around midnight the next night and we've been under curfew since 9 PM.
Nothing outside of the ordinary has happened as far as I'm aware.
There were some protesters breaking curfew, but from what I've heard, they dispersed quickly without incident.

please @ me if you want a response
art by blinkini

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 21:57:14 )

"I live by Philadelphia, Camden and Newark.... New Jersey been peaceful, Philly not so much. Primarily it is cops doing it. Sadly, cops been causing most of the issue or people not in the protest aka KKK members or just random idiots. Some protesters may get heated but understandable. I wish I could go but have work and my son, which take priority. "

Donator — she, her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:27:39 )

My states city that has the most crime had a peaceful protest and I am so thankful for that.
So far we have been away from the violence but neighboring state had threats of people burning homes/business.

There is a peaceful protest that’s supposed to take place this Saturday that I would like to take part in. My friend lives maybe four blocks from the area so if things go down I’m going to book it.

I just don’t know how to adequately prepare.

Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 19:29:48 )
No protesting in my town, but the city I lived in last year was attacked/looted really badly. Most people think that they came up from Chicago to do damage, because there was hardly even any protesting and it's a primarily black/hispanic city. :/ The protesters were trying to get them to stop from what I could hear.
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 22:44:01 )

I'm in Tijuana and I heard a few riots and protest in san diego they are the closes to me. LA is where my family is located and over there they are going wild. I've been seeing videos of people being trampled by cars.

°<°art by Keturah🖤🦖🖤

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/3 22:48:06 )
There have been relatively peaceful protests in my suburb and hometown, but there are riots within 50 miles that make me worry about my family's safety.
art commission info | my etsy sticker shop

Donator — She/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/3 14:55:14 )
yeah here in Madison WI there have been a few, during the days peaceful protests(first day i even went to the protest) then nights turned into looting and rioting. but when it ended the owners of the places were like we are ok with this and we have insurance and blm and they should be able to protest even if it means damaging our property... which i thought was pretty rad.then a bunch of the people who just protested and rioted came out to clean and the owners even let them do art on some boards for the windows for blm. which gave me all the feels. the only negative thing was that the white supremacist group closest to here called the proud boys came out and hurt alot of people and the cops didnt step in for that. then things got calm until a cop randomly arrested a black person peacefully protesting and that night there was a riot but this one was much different where they pulled down several not good statues... during that time the cops did more than just tear gas they used the sound thing.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.