Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat First apartment

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/25 03:59:04 )
I'm soooo excited but so anxious. Finally decided to take the plunge, I have a decent amount of savings and I work consistently enough to support myself! I'm moving in with a few others, I'm very close to them and we all get along! I'll likely be there by August/September. AAAAA! :vanora_cry:

Anyone here have advice for a first time move? I'm already downsizing and planning to leave some things at my parent's home, just to make it easier. Plus they don't mind me leaving behind some things. Also going to get a smaller desk for my set up since I'll be sharing a office room with two others!

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/25 04:14:53 )

@nyreen: Wow that's really exciting! I would say, things always cost more than you think.
And when getting stuff for your new place try to get things like kitchenwares, towels, bed sheets etc from your parents or another family member. Your parents probably have a ton of towels and you will have zero when you move out.
Also places like Goodwill are places to find other things you might need from the house.
Learn new recipes and maybe food prep before you move out. This will make being able to cook in your new place easier.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/25 12:38:59 )
When you pack, don't forget to make a special take-along care package of things you will need to live while unpacking. Think an over-night bag with a few extra days in mind. Keep it with you! Toiletries, snacks, kitchenware enough to make a meal, chargers etc. It can be frustrating trying to live while unpacking without said things handy.
...I'm still unpacking and I moved into my house at the beginning of the year
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/25 12:55:10 )

What Glume said but also don’t forget to write down on the boxes what’s in it, so you don’t have to open every single box to find 1 small thing

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/26 05:26:03 )
One thing I wish I had done before getting my first apartment was to check out that part of town!!! On the outside, it looked clean and quiet. But it turned out to be the exact opposite. Just two blocks from my university campus, I thought I'd be safe and have a quiet place for studying. It turned out most of the tenants were drug dealers and had criminal records. At night, strangers would pound on my door (which opened directly out onto the sidewalk) and then cover the peep hole so I couldn't see who was outside. There were gunfights in the parking lot. My car was repeatedly vandalized. Drug addicts loitered and tried to hit me up for money constantly. So close to my university, in such a pretty part of town, I thought my apartment would be a dream! It was a nightmare!

Also, as someone has lived with a variety of roommates - some of them strangers, some of them close friends - I'll tell you it is not fun. My sincere advice is to find a small, inexpensive place of your own or with just one close friend. I could tell you unimaginable horror stories... But I hope things work out for you. It just never did for me.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/26 15:42:08 )
she looks to the sky to build herself

@nyreen: Congratulations! It's always really fun moving into your first place away from your parents ; u;
yeah, what they said: set up rules for housework and courtesy stuff with your roommates
you don't want to be stuck in a passive aggressive situation with people you live with
it's not fun! it's not productive! and it definitely makes everything worse lol

if you're low on cash and stuff for new bigger furniture, buy 1-2 items every paycheck or every other paycheck
i'm still slowly updating my apartment and I moved in december of 2017, but I did not go broke that first year on furniture!

@ me tho. | Hangout. | OCs. | Avatars.
looking to buy: ARIES

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/27 01:19:15 )
Also when moving it can be that you can get free moving boxes from family or friends. And before moving in, not only chek out the area as @Eldweena mentioned. But also check out the apartment in person. there can be faults like rotten wood or mold in the windows or corners of the house, even in kitchen cabinets. Things you wouldnt be able to spot just from the pictures of the place. Also when you do find such kind of faults, also with loose tiles or scratched surfaces; take photos and keep them on a extern harddisc, it might be helpful later on when you move out.

That is at least my experience.

Donator — Moo (She/Her) Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/27 02:45:37 )

🍬 π“Œπ’½π’Άπ“‰'π“ˆ π‘”π‘œπ‘œπ’Ή π“Œπ’½π’Άπ“‰'π“ˆ π“…π‘œπ“…π“…π’Ύπ“ƒ' 🍬
Congratulations!!! That’s so exciting!!!

My only big advice is the same as some others have already said: however much savings you think is enough, triple it. It’s never enough! Unexpected costs can pile up so fast and there’s nothing that kills the thrill of finally moving out like watching the numbers in that savings account plummet.

Otherwise, enjoy the experience!! I’m excited for you!!
~Happy Pride Month~

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/27 03:39:33 )
Thanks everyone for your advice and support!
call me grem
they/them

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.