Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Customer Service Stories

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 03:29:25 )
Does anyone have any frustrating (but terribly entertaining) customer service stories? Whether you were the one working customer service, or someone else gave you really bad customer service?

So... every year I volunteer to staff at an anime convention. My department sells tickets to special events, and our policy is that you must bring your ID. Well, one of the attendees didn't bring her ID so I couldn't give her the ticket, and then she starts crying and everything becomes really awkward. But I can't do anything about it because... that's our policy and I'm just a volunteer... so I apologize profusely but she continues to cry in front of my booth for the next 20 minutes. I end up harassing management 5 times until I finally convince them to let me give her the ticket so she'll leave my booth.
yikes

97/500
Thread 5/6

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 03:31:38 )
Which con do you volunteer at?

I used to work at an all you can eat restaurant and I had a lady throw her check at me because I charged her for eating and she claimed she didn't it she was chewing up the food for her baby. Like she was a fucking mother bird WHAT EVENNN XD

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 03:43:07 )
I worked at Chuck E Cheese for a few years. phew.

I had a man lose his freaking mind at me because I asked to see his receipt for the salad bar. We had to give a special salad bar plate to people who actually bought it so that we knew they had purchased a salad bar. He didn't have the plate and it's policy to check. He started yelling at me that I was accusing him of stealing. He didn't actually buy a salad bar either.

Prize counter meltdowns were awful too. The kids didn't really care if we were out of something, they would just choose something new. The parents would scream and yell and demand that we magically find the item we were out of or take it out of the display case. The display case was locked. No one in the building had access to the display.

We always had people eat all of their pizza or wings and then bring the basket claiming that their food was cold and demanding new food free of charge. Lady.... There are bones on that plate. You obviously enjoyed the wings. Buy some more.

Divorced parent birthday parties were pretty awful too.

BUT the worst part about Chuck E Cheese was the parents that freaked about what we called "Kid Check". So, when a family comes in, they are stamped with a blacklight stamp with the same number. If the number doesn't match the family or someone is trying to take a child when they don't have a stamp, we can't let them leave with the child. It's policy and it prevents kidnappings. Adults lose their minds when you want to stamp their hand or check their hand. I just wanna keep your kid safe. You should be thanking me. sheesh.

When I worked as a waitress in high school, I had to tell a man to smoke on the patio instead of inside. He sat at the patio door and glared at me for the entirety of his cigarette and then he got drunk and waltzed into the back kitchen area to give me a piece of his mind. My manager was awful. The cooks saved me that night.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 04:09:47 )
@Luffer Nutter: Honestly I signed too many nondisclosure forms as a volunteer and I don't know if I'm legally allowed to say, but it's the largest anime convention in North America /cough

?? Who was she trying to fool with that excuse?? I'm?? Also that would be very gross??

@Mousy: Oh mannn these are gold (sorry that they had to happen to you though...)
I feel like in general adults are harder to deal with? I don't understand how they can be less mature than their 7-year-olds.

98/500

Donator — He/They Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 04:16:06 )
So I'm working the cash register in the children's wear section of Mervyn's (for you young people, it was a store in the mall like Dillards or Sears.)
It's night time, the gates to the mall are closed, our doors are locked, the lights are off save for a few over the registers on each desk and we're closing up for the night.
I'm sitting there counting out the register when the phone rings.
I'm still on the clock so I've got to answer it.
I do and I hear this small voice on the other end. Couldn't tell whether it was an older woman or a very young man.
He begins telling me that he and his girlfriend are going to have sex for the first time, she's small and still wears children section underclothes (which I'd seen a few teenage girls who had to do that, so I wasn't really surprised and assumed this was a teenage boy or something.) But most importantly, he's got to buy her a new pair of panties and he mentions the big display in front of the register filled with these very small colorful panties with strings on the side. I always thought they were inappropriate to sell next to the onesies and overalls but whatever, I'm weird I guess. These were the main target of most of our teenage girl shoppers. These brightly colored panties sporting brightly colored cartoon pandas, frogs, and the like.
He begins asking me questions about...the panties.
"So what size do they come in?....the panties?" he whispers the last part real huskily, almost like he ran out of breath. I explain the sizes.
"So tell me what's on them...the panties..." He whispers again, and again, says panties in a way I did not appreciate. But I go on to start describing them, the clock ticking, everybody waiting on me.
Question after question and each question ending with "...the panties..."
That's when I realized either I had a pervert on my hands or I was being fucked with and finally hung up on him. I still wonder to this day if he ever bought...the panties....

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 04:18:49 )
OMG I have one more! I blocked it out.

The same restaurant I was a waitress at. keep in mind that this is in 2009.
This man came in and ordered something really strange. It was like... French fries with hardboiled eggs on it? some weird combo that definitely wasn't on the menu and that was fine- whatever you want dude.
The real show started when the cook came to the front counter and the man saw that the cook was African American. Phew. This man started on this racist rant and then started screaming about how he was going to call the health inspector and get the restaurant shut down with a bucket and he was going to tear the place apart with a shovel- like seriously random junk. The cook went back to the kitchen and the man left and gosh it was awkward. The cook was really cool about it though. He wasn't offended or anything- he was just worried about me because I had to work the front. That was a special time.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 04:21:21 )
@hachi: well AX is the biggest one I know but I've never been to any on the east coast >.>

And yeah even if it was true super gross if she was doing that and ridiculous. Cut it up small but if they can't handle that they should probably be eating baby food? O.o

eeee ee eeee smoke weed everyday
(legitimately googled if this was pg-13 appropriate because I try to be a respectful stoner. So like you're welcome teenagers)
Working on a new signature.
PS-I LOVE PUGS

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 04:42:27 )
@WhatAJoy: This story was quite a ride. I'm pretty sure I can imagine the exact voice you heard on the phone, it was that descriptive wow
I want to think that he was just an innocent teenager trying to buy panties for his girlfriend but uhhh that conversation is really trying to tell me otherwise

@Mousy: Man I don't even know what to say about this... just... really... awful
I just can't comprehend the amount of hate that people can have geez

@Luffer Nutter: AX is definitely bigger than any of the ones on the east coast, yeeeep
APPARENTLY this lady thought she should make the baby food herself??

99/500

Donator — He/They Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 04:44:44 )
@Hachi: Near the end of the conversation I could swear he was jacking off. His voice was shaking and breathy, especially when he said "the panties" like he was getting off to it lol. I felt dirty but I couldn't stop laughing afterwards.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 04:56:33 )
@WhatAJoy: Okay I'm glad that you thought it was funny because I definitely laughed really hard at your post
But I can't help but think that if I were in your place, I would have been very uncomfortable haha

102/500

Donator — He/They Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 05:00:03 )
@Hachi: Oh you've got to laugh when something like that happens, otherwise the pervert wins lol. He already got to make you uncomfortable, and possibly get off to something you say or the sound of your voice. All you can do is laugh because what other options are there really? You can't really do anything about it, lol. And it took me a stupid amount of time to figure out I was likely being fucked with, so I pretty much earned it lol. I love telling that story, especially out loud because I do a mean impression of him, lol. I used to remember all of his questions, he asked me a lot of them and my stupid ass stood there and answered each and every one lmao.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 05:15:13 )
@WhatAJoy: True, that's a very good way to look at it (and most things) haha
Well, by answering all those questions at least you got a really hilarious story out of it that you can tell everyone! I can't say that I would have been any sharper in that moment tbh I'm pretty gullible. Were your coworkers aware this conversation was happening? haha

104/500

Donator — He/They Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 05:20:25 )
@Hachi: No, everybody had already turned in their register bags and were waiting at the doors at the end of my section. They could see me on the phone but couldn't hear me. I definitely told them though and they all started laughing hysterically and telling me I was a dumbass lol. Which I deserved. It was like ten questions, legit. At the least. It was a lot of questions.
"What size are they...the panties?"
"What color are they...the panties?"
"What's on them......the panties?"
"Is the crotch cotton...on the panties?"
"What are they made of...the panties?"
It was ridiculous lol. There's a slim chance that that was really a teenage boy buying underpants for his girlfriend, but sometimes I wonder if it was, and he was just nervous or something, how his story ended up? Lol. I'm like 90% certain it was a pervert or someone EXPERTLY prank calling me lol.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/13 05:34:21 )
It was my second day on the job at my new location at the company of which I am employed.
A disheveled looking man found his way into the store, waltzed right up to the counter, dropped his change onto the counter, and said:
Him: Can I have a lighter?
I counted his change, which amounted to $0.83.
Me: Sir, our cheapest lighter is $1.40. You've got 83 cents.
Him: you're gonna deny a man a lighter?
This dude yanks A HYPODERMIC NEEDLE out of his pocket and holds it up as if he's about to stab me
Him: I'm jesus and Moses and I'll SMITE ANYONE WHO GETS IN MY WAY
As this dude is babbling, I'm stunned. My coworker, as if she's seen this before, tells the dude she's calling the police and to leave.
He does, and stunned, I try and laugh it off and ask my coworker if he's one of our regulars.
Thankfully he wasn't, but he ended up coming back the next day-- and proceeded to play with himself near our drink station.
He was arrested and, thankfully, never returned.
Call me ping me if you wanna reach me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.