Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Dream Job(s)

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 05:44:56 )
Staff Memo:
This thread was locked due to inactivity, if you wish to unlock your thread please issue a ticket. Instructions to unlock thread found here.

Hey all, I've been thinking a lot about what I want for the future. All my hopes and dreams. Then I wondered what others might have in mind.

What's your dream job? Or jobs if you want more than one. Working with youth? Owning and operating your own farm? Being a therapist, EMT, doctor, artist? Let's talk about it!

My dream for the future is to one day own and operate my very own youth center. Where youth can come after school to participate in a variety of activities and have a meal. This way they can be kids, get help with homework, learn new hobbies and be themselves. All in an environment where they feel safe and can thrive, grown and learn!

I'd also love to have my own summer camp for at risk youth from group and foster homes. They can learn to be kids, overcome trauma and regain trust for others. All while hiking, canoeing, swimming, etc in the great outdoors!

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 06:11:32 )
trophy sewer rat. lemme live that EZ life
an animator or mangaka, or just making my first trash doujin. i loved reading and watching that stuff as a kid, so it feels natural to "give back" to what gave me lots of enjoyment.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 06:16:45 )
@okios: That's awesome! Have you done anything like that before?

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 06:24:36 )
ya i've done summer internships for animation. i decided not pursue it seriously because the pay was generally shiet. i love art, but i... like living in stability more, so that was that.

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Donator — 404Error Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 06:27:32 )
My dream job has jumped back and forth between a few things, and recently I just got a big opportunity to get a free education to be on my work's automation team. So, I guess I am going for that now? I honestly love where I work at so where I get promoted to I am happy with ^^

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 06:27:35 )
@okios: I get that. Working with youth doesn't pay as well as you'd think it would. Most entry level jobs are minimum wage; $11.25 CAD here, going up to $12 in May. I would love to make a living off of writing, drawing and photography too but that's really hard. So I just do all of that in my spare time.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 06:29:07 )
@Zach: Hey that's great! I feel you on the jumping back and forth between different interests too. ^^ I hope your promotion goes well!

Donator — 404Error Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 06:41:50 )
@nyreen: Thank you! ^^ I was in a job that I thought would be my career, but after moving and it falling through, I joined this new company and I have to say I never felt more welcome in my life! And the owner of the company cares about us, and it shows everyday. ^^ Plus we make some pretty sweet food X'D

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 06:44:16 )
@Zach: That's amazing! I'm super happy to hear that. Being in a good environment with a good boss makes a huge difference. What kind of stuff do you make?

Donator — 404Error Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 07:53:40 )
@nyreen: We make yogurt ^^ I know it sounds kind of weird, but it really is an amazing place to work at.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 07:55:38 )

I want to be an actress but that's probably never gonna happen T_T

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 08:57:17 )
@Zach: Not weird at all. ^^ Sounds yummy! And you're happy so that's good!

@RainbowPanda: Awh, why not? I know it's competitive but why not do a little bit of acting on the side?

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 16:27:45 )
Honestly it's hard to say. I'm one of those people who wants to do everything and is constantly thinking about opportunity costs. As a kid I wanted to be a mangaka, then an archaeologist/anthropologist, and still think that would be super rewarding and interesting. But more than anything else I'd love to be a game designer; to bring awesome stories to life.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 16:33:23 )
I used to have my heart set on being an artist. I have gotten paid for my art, but in the long run I'd need to get a job to support that. So, I instead put art on the back burner like some sort of... person who gives up on their dreams I guess! Right now, I'd love to work with the developmentally disabled again, but I have no official school learning on the subject so getting a career in that area is difficult. It seems as though retail management is my lot in life.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 16:34:09 )

@nyreen: Idk what I wanna do with my life anymore. I really do wanna be an actress, but I don't think i'm good enough. I am sure an opportunity will open up if it's the right job for me.

Donator — 404Error Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 17:02:28 )
@nyreen: if you ever see chobani yogurt give them a try! We use the plain for sour cream substitute and it’s hard to tell the difference. Also the drinkables are to die for and most the flips are good as well

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 17:34:33 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: I know what you mean. The reality of working with youth is that you're work is subtle and sometimes goes unrecognized by youth, parents/guardians and sometimes even your boss and co-workers. It also doesn't pay as well as you would think. It's incredibly rewarding work but exhausting, especially emotionally. I'm thankfully at a place where my co-workers, boss and the kids are wonderful and the work is super fun and changes every day! Pay could be better but I'm surviving and it doesn't really concern me because I'm happy where I am.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 17:42:37 )
@Vii: All of those sound amazing. Are you in school for any of those right now? Any experience? ^^

@Glume: Hey, that isn't giving up on your dreams. Sometimes you need to shift your priorities so you can survive and meet both your wants and needs. There isn't anything wrong with that.

I first wanted to live as a photographer, writer and illustrator but all of that is incredibly time consuming with surprisingly low pay and hard to live off of. I worked in retail for a bit, out of school, trying to figure out what to do then worked my first year at a camp and found something I really like! Working with kids is a stable income and I still have time to dedicate to photography, writing and illustrating. It's all about doing what's best for you and finding a balance!

I first got into a camp without any prior experience. I'm sure you could find somewhere around where you live. I specifically worked at a non-profit camp with at risk youth from group and foster homes. This summer is my fourth there. Because of my camp job I was hired without any education at the yourh club I'm at right now! It's a process so it might take a year to get to the point where you'll get hired without the education but it's possible.

My mom actually works as an aid for youth with disabilities and without at a school. And she started out as a lunch monitor at a elementary school. You just have to find a way to get your foot in the door. I also volunteered at a youth center without education so that gave me experience.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 17:46:37 )
@RainbowPanda: Try to set small goals for yourself instead of the big ones first. I find I get overwhelmed and feel hopeless when I think about being in a position that's really intense and totally out of my grasp at the moment. If you know what I mean.

Get into school for theater. Perform in all of your schools plays, fill roles even of they're not the ones you want and search for local calls for movies/television shows/plays. Get into as much as you can. Join a local acting Facebook page or Google local clubs/groups that are dedicated to theater students/folks who act.

You could even try out voice acting!
call me grem
they/them

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 17:59:32 )
@nyreen: Alas, not currently in school. I had a short stint doing my general credits (English, math, etc), but since then, I've never had the time and money simultaneously that I'd need to go back and really be serious about it. I have a minuscule amount of game design experience from a class I took in high school, but that was years and years ago. xD Realistically I could learn it with resources online, and that was sort of my plan, but my computer right now isn't really powerful enough to get into the nitty-gritty of it all, and I'm just one person who's really not sure where even to start. c': My ambitions are always bigger than my abilities, that whole thing.

But the dream has been pushing me ever more so lately, as I have a story I've been working on for a decade that was originally supposed to be a novel, but I think it'd be an amazing game concept, and I wouldn't sell it or trust anyone else to get it right. xD

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.