Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Pet Owner Advice?

Donator — she/her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/23 19:40:45 )

What is it like having a pet? My therapist cleared me to have an ESA animal and suggested I'd get a cat to help with my loneliness and depression (amongst other reasons). Aside from feeding stray cats growing up, I've never had my own pet before. I've always wanted one, but at the same time, the thought of having one makes me kind of nervous.

Is there any advice you could share with a wannabe first-time pet owner?
What are some upsides or downsides?
How do you mentally and physically prepare to have a pet?
Has owning a pet changed your life for the better?

I'm feeling very sad today, so if you have pics of your pets I'd love to see them as well. ;___;

Donator — She/Her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/23 22:14:27 )
Having a pet can be very rewarding, but it has its challenges as well, regardless of the species.

First you'll need to consider if you have the resources to have one. In no particular order of importance: space, time, financial stability, access to veterinary care, research, and mental stability, to name a few. I'll elaborate in a spoiler below:

-Space- Luckily, cats don't require much space. However, you'll want to make sure that your living space is allowed to house cats before having one. That should go without saying, but too many people illegally own pets, and it's not fair to the pet in the end, because they suffer the consequences if they're found out.

-Time- Generally speaking, cats don't require too much of your time, but some can be more demanding than others for resources. Some can be aloof and not want much attention, while others want to be your shadow. Feeding schedules are easily manageable, as are getting a routine down for grooming and litter box changing. For litter boxes, I will say a good rule of thumb if you have multiple cats one day is to add 1 more box than you have cats (so for example, 2 cats require 3 litter boxes). I know you'll probably only start with one, but just FYI for future. As for grooming, in general, if you have a long-haired cat, you'll want to brush it often to avoid matting in the fur. Otherwise, unless they have a knack for getting dirty, they don't require much for bathing. You may want to consider time for training, if necessary, against unwanted behaviors, such as clawing your furniture. There are easy solutions for these behaviors, but that can be saved for another post.

-Financial stability- No, you don't need to be a billionaire to have a cat, obviously, but they can come with their own health issues, and vet visits usually aren't cheap. Therefore, I'd suggest always having some money saved in case of emergencies. There are options for insurance out there for vet visits too, so perhaps look into that.

-Access to veterinary care- Do you have easy access to a vet in case you need? It's also a good idea to get a veterinary checkup routinely, depending on what your vet recommends. Not gonna lie, a lot of pets hate traveling for any reason, but sometimes it's necessary to make sure they're healthy, so make sure you can travel to a vet if needed.

-Research- Consider researching cats' needs before adopting. Different breeds may need different things. While you don't need to be an expert before adopting, it'll certainly help you in the long run to ensure a happy life for you both. <3

-Mental stability- Are you in a good place, mentally, to care for another animal? I'm not asking if you personally are in a good place, but it's a general question to ponder. If you're struggling to care for yourself in any capacity, I'd caution against caring for an animal until you can. An animal is more than just a companion, it's a life dependent on your care too.

Sorry if that was a bit wordy, but I hope that helps some. What helps me mentally prepare for a new pet kinda is the physical aspect too--making sure my space is safe for them, and making sure I have the resources to care for them. And absolutely, having my pets has changed my life for the better. Mooney is my only fur baby for now, and she's 7 years old. I lost my boy Dasher last year as he was a senior kitty at 11 years old, and my girl Olive a couple years ago as she was reaching her life expectancy of 5 years old. I think that's the worst part of having pets, is saying goodbye, but as the saying goes, time heals all wounds. I'm happy to have had my babies that I sent over the Rainbow Bridge, even though I miss them every day. I'm hoping to adopt another cat soonish, but first I need to prepare my space before I can have another.

Donator — she/her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/24 00:37:19 )

@Aisukohi: Thank you, I really appreciate your response! Everything you mentioned is very insightful and I'll keep note of this as I debate on getting a cat. :3

I'm still very nervous at the thought of having a pet. @__@ I don't think I'm in the right place mentally or financially to have one yet, so I'm definitely gonna have to give it some time. In the meantime, there's a shelter close to me that I can visit to play with the cats.

Your pets are very cute, thank you for sharing them. <3

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Donator — She Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/24 22:51:18 )
I would say get a dog I used to have anxiety and for ages I wouldn't leave the house .. getting my dog helped me go out because I did it for him cus he needed out and needed walks .. if ur having a bad day dogs just know and they will come and cuddle beside you .. once you pet and interact with them you start feeling better .. all pets have ups and downs obviously the taking care of them is hard work sometimes but it's rewarding and all worth it

Donator — She/Her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/25 00:30:58 )
@Ark: You're welcome, and if you have any specific questions about cat ownership, I can try to help, or find resources to help you. Glad you have a shelter you can go to! There's a cat cafe not too far from here that I sometimes go to to play with the cats, and one day might adopt one from there. And thank you! Fur babies really are delightful when you have them. <3
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.