Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat nostalgia resurgence woop woop

Donator — they/ze Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/18 03:54:44 )
Im putting this here cause while i mention mental illness, that is NOT the main focus of what im talking about

I've found myself re-immersing myself in things that brought me a lot of joy as a preteen as i try to recover in a partial hospitalization psychiatric program because life events + my pre-existing mental illnesses got too much for my coping skills to handle the last 2 years or so. I'm on LoA from work rn which ends soon so im trying to get these things back into a daily routine of mine because i know they still make me happy, i just gotta do the thing to get the dopamine instead of wallowing in my emotions.

These things include being on this site, drawing, listening to music (G-D's Heartbreaker is so frickin nostalgic for me cause Ernya was the 1st place id ever heard of him), creating stories for myself, and more tht im brain farting. I'm also trying to get back into reading but i havent found a book series i hyper-fixate on quite like i did w the Eragon series lol

Do yall ever find yourselves doing this?

Donator — He/They Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/18 19:10:40 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

CW: mentions of depression and trauma (nothing in depth)

Yes absolutly!
I wouldnt say i was deprived of a childhood, however i grew up always being told i was so mature for my age wich later turned out was due to trauma. Since i was 14 ive been strugling with depression (coming to terms with traumas, figuring out im trans, then as an adulty learning im neurodivergent ect). Just begining of this year i was in rehab for depression. Ever since i learned ab all that i started giving less shit about what others thought ab me.

Im now 23, i love to play dress up/avatar games, collecting plushies and cute collectible toys/figurines. My walls are full with fanart from media i love or original prints from artists i admire. And i also create alot of stories and characters! Ive always wanted to do something with them like create a comic or a game? And i have some ideas already, sadly my mental health isnt the best yet so im tryuing my best to do what im capable of. However instead i started playing DND, that has been so much fun!

Im also fortunate that i live with my grandma who suports me in all of this :^D

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

Donator — she/her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/18 20:14:32 )

I’m very nostalgic and often partake in activities/ interests I loved as a kid. But I’ve been doing it even more-so since last year after talking with my therapist about childhood trauma (this could be the reason for my overly nostalgic-ness). Last year she helped me rekindle my love for reading manga, so as a way to fill the void, I impulsively bought like 100+ discounted manga which I’ve barely put a dent in. x__x

Also, G-Dragon’s Heartbreaker album is one of my favorite albums. I listened to it almost every day back in high school. *-*

Donator — they/ze Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/19 03:39:40 )
@GoblinsAndTea: I'm trying to give less of a shit about what other ppl think of me! I'm glad you've started to not as well <3 I gained a lot of weight the last couple of years from BED and it's been a massive blow to my self-esteem.
What do you play mostly in DnD? I've yet to play myself but i love the idea of the aasimar and tieflings.

@Ark: Oh what manga did you get? I havent read any in so long
I'm gonna go listen to more GD stuff~

There's something so frickin healing about picking back-up fun stuff when ur like being implicitly told by society (or explicitly) that you're too old for those things.

Donator — He/They Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/19 15:49:12 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

@goth: I absolutly love tieflings! And perhaps i make too much of them lmao.
My first character i used for a campaign was a tiefling sorcerer Called Wendell

And now my second campaign character im... playing a tiefling again lol, however this time hes half tiefling and half dragonborn. Im also multiclassing a bard with rouge... but wierdly enough ive been mostly using him like a fighter lmao

However i have plenty of other characters ive made for oneshots! Im actually making a Fairy barbarian for a future oneshot lol

Donator — She/Her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/19 23:15:46 )
Aaaah, yes that song by G-Dragon gives me happy feels. <3 Kinda forgot it existed until you mentioned it lol. Funny how that happens--forgetting they exist until they reappear somehow. Also I love the Eragon series as well. <333 I listened to it on audiobook once, but I can't remember if I finished the series in audiobook. ^^; I definitely finished reading it though. It's been a minute since I've felt motivated to read anything, but I'm partway through Howl's Moving Castle, and will eventually read 1984 because I want to see what the fuss is about as I was never required to read that one in school.

ALSO I'd love to get into DND more, but feeling a little discouraged. The first time I tried, we got together with a kinda large group (probably like 8 players) and we spent most of the time building my first and only character, which I felt so bad for taking up all their time that I think they didn't want to play again after that. The second time I had a blast because it was a smaller group, but after that, we never got to meet up again. I don't know of any groups willing to take on newbies.

To answer OP's question though, yes, I do revert back to things that made me happy growing up, such as listening to old music or rewatching favorite series and movies. I'm also watching a lot of anime lately, both new and older series. Plus rewatching anime I've seen before.

Donator — she/her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/21 00:23:48 )

@goth: I got a lot of random manga, but I mainly focused on completing the series I read as a kid but never finished. So Tokyo Mew Mew, Cardcaptor Sakura, Loveless, .hack, Wolf's Rain, etc. Also, I wish there were a better plural word for series lol.

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Donator — they/ze Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/22 22:29:39 )
I've re-written my response like 23942908479238 times and keep getting distracted by other stuff

@GoblinsAndTea: youre ocs are so cute I love them!!!!
What kind of fairy? Like human sized or tiny?

@Aisukohi: When you forget something like that it honestly feels like re-discovering it again for the 1st time!
I havent joined any dnd groups before because i was so anxious about holding the group back so i totally get tht
Some ppl in the program i was in recently for mental health and i have started a discord group to make a campaign. Hopefully tht doesnt flop

@Ark: You will never catch me reading Wolf's Rain because I refuse to bawl my eyes out AGAIN over that series
I might give Kuroshitsuji another go. I never finished the manga because all the sites my teen self used had stopped updating for a while

What is .hack about?

Donator — She/Her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/23 16:57:12 )
@goth: Right? I wouldn't know the first thing how to play DND on discord lol. I'm open to it, but not sure how it's done with the dice rolls and everything. I'd have to have a very forgiving group to be confident enough to try. xD

Donator — they/ze Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/23 18:12:54 )
@Aisukohi: One of my friends has experience with doing it through discord. I'm gonna ask her how it works. I want to say there's like websites you can use for dice rolls ?? I think she's mentioned tht to me before, and then you just like trust ppl are reporting their rolls in good faith.
I think the part that worries me the most about dnd is the role-playing aspect. I dont want to be too boring but i also dont want to make things all about my character.
Maybe ill finally watch the crit role podcast thingy to get an idea of a balance??

Donator — She/Her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/23 18:27:52 )
@goth: That makes sense about the website and the organization of it all. I understand feeling self-conscious about taking too much time for your character, or just not doing something right in general. My guy listens to lots of DND podcasts, and I think he's watched/listened to that one before too. He mostly listens to his podcasts on Spotify, and sometimes I'll catch pieces here and there. Not sure if you're interested in any female-led podcasts, but Dames & Dragons is a good one. Not Another D&D Podcast is a mixed gender one, but it's one that you might check out too if you're looking for podcasts. Both of them have their funny moments, so they're not all super serious or anything.

Donator — they/ze Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/24 02:14:49 )
@Aisukohi: I'll look them up too! Thank you for the references <3 I dont have a preference for who leads the campaigns as long as it's queer-friendly.
hnnng so many cool things to look into and so little time in a day

Donator — He/They Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/24 05:05:35 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

@goth: Tiny! Theyre gonna use a human sized hammer as a warhammer lmao

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — they/ze Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/24 21:08:21 )
@GoblinsAndTea: words cannot express how much i want to see this. I neeeeed to see this little badass

Donator — She/Her Posted 9 months ago ( 2023/07/25 00:32:13 )
@goth: You're welcome! And agreed with your last statement--I want to see and do so much outside of work, but time is an issue lol.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.