Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I tried Graham Crackers for the first time (& other American snacks)

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/31 22:42:26 )
    blue:
      [size=12]
      PashminaPanda:
      (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
      Moonpies!! One of my all time favorites.

They should have left those on the moon.

Not a fan?
[/size]

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/31 22:57:02 )
sunny:
    blue:
      [size=12]
      PashminaPanda:
      Moonpies!! One of my all time favorites.

They should have left those on the moon.

Not a fan?
[/size]

I still think you should try one, and if you hate it you can blame me and the martians. lol
Thinking about playing Pokemon Crystal again.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/1 13:21:54 )
@sunny: I get it. I'm not a big snack person either (for much the same reason) and the UK has different standards for certain foods, additives, preservatives, processes, etc. that tend to be healthier than the stuff that's on the shelves here (even from the same brands), but I'm really not trying to put a damper on your adventurous spirit, and please don't think that I'm judging you (just the 'food' industry - lol).

So what kinds of things are you seeing on the shelves there that are "American"... or what kinds of suggestions are you getting that are actually unusual for you and the markets there, and are more "typically American"??

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/1 14:05:05 )
    @Wildfire: we have Pringles, Kit Kat, Snickers, Reeses Pieces, M&Ms, Lucky Charms, Oreos, Pop Tarts, Hershey’s, etc. We have a lot of American stuff on our shelves, but nothing I am interested in trying. I assume the recipes are different to get through UK food standards, we are pretty strict like that, which is a good thing imo.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/1 14:30:35 )
@sunny: Yes, your standards are higher and better. We don't even know what's really in some of the food here because of labeling loopholes.
... and wow - that's a lot more stuff than I thought!!
What are your favorite new "American" snacks so far?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/1 17:59:07 )
    @Wildfire: I’m definitely loving the Graham crackers, both original and honey. I’ve been having them with Nutella and peanut butter, which is so nice!! But so bad for me lmao. I also like regular cheese Cheetos, just not the hot ones. I also love Doritos, and peanut m&ms, but again they are all rare treats.

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 01:28:45 )
Ooh, I wonder if the sites have Canadian stuff too, or if it's just generally North American? Although, Canada gets a lot of stuff that the UK also gets so I'm not sure how many of the things I'd suggest that you'd have anyway xDD

I can't recall which side of the pond they're from, but:
- Twix bar
- Mars bar (I think the same thing in the US is called a Milky Way)
- Coffee Crisp (you might get that in the UK 'cause it's Nestle)
- Oreos (original or double stuffed)
- pop tarts (strawberry's always a good staple)
- Twizzlers or Red Vines (red licorice) - I personally prefer Twizzlers, but my boyfriend likes Red Vines, so it's very much personal preference

I also have to second the Kraft Dinner Mac & Cheese! In Canada they've branded it as "KD" (just short for Kraft Dinner), the original is good but I find it a little bland, I'd recommend the Sharp Cheddar as your first try and then the Spicy Cheddar if you like the sharp one =)

I saw someone else suggested Hamburger Helper. That's not so much a snack as something to make meal prep easier - it's like cake mix but instead of adding water and an egg you add 1lb/500g of ground beef xDD

Maple

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 02:01:22 )
I would like to add that while I know the snacks in this thread are wildly unhealthy, I also wish our country had better food standards. I love trying foreign snacks too if I know what they should taste like lol. If I can't tell what "flavor" it should be, I don't get it. xD
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 17:06:37 )
    @Alchemists Fire: we have all of those except the Mac and cheese:) we really do get a lot the same as Canada, I never knew that!

@Aisukohi: haha I’m the same way, I can be quite wary with my food lol.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 18:21:13 )
@sunny: graham crackers are kind of special, and they are definitely good with things like peanut butter, nutella, etc.
There are a gazillion flavors of doritos... which have you tried? And peanut m&ms... or better yet, reeces pieces! :3

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 19:44:56 )
    @Wildfire: mmm just the original ones and the cheese ones. I like them with salsa :) Reece’s Pieces are the best, I especially like the bars! Very peanutty and delicious!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/2 22:21:56 )

@sunny: If you like pickles, I would get the Bread and Butter ones. Very good. Little sweet, little vinegary. They are a Great Depression food that stuck around.
I would stay away from American Chocolate unless you know you like the taste. Doesn't taste like British Chocolate.
Cornbread mix and make yourself some cornbread! (I love the texture)
For savory, I tend to like anything that's White Cheddar flavored.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 13:27:36 )
S'mores pop tarts.
the only poptart flavors i would avoid are unfrosted and pretzel.
why would they make pretzel pop tarts??
if you like pop tarts youll probably like toaster strudels too. i grew up on them.
milky way dark
mocha kit kats
i cant think of a kit kat flavor i don't like
vanilla wafers
pop rocks >:)
cheese nips. cheeze its taste too artificial but i like them too.
theres a lot of different kinds.
id recommend jelly belly jelly beans but you guys probably have those
rice crispie treats

i don't know if they are all american based products, but they are american junk food staples

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 13:36:29 )

moon pies are a mardi gras thing at best. theyre not bad, but i think they have a sharp artificial taste.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 15:05:55 )
    @Totalanimefan: I very much do not like pickles lmao but I really want to try cornbread! It sounds like a classic :)

@Rune Arcana: thanks for the list! A lot of those we have, but I didn’t know there were dark milky ways! I bet those taste delicious! I’m going to try moon pies simply because they have Graham crackers in and I love those!

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 16:33:56 )
@sunny: I always love comparing things between Canada and the UK, 'cause there are a few things we don't get here that I think are pretty common over there.
I was lucky enough to visit London about 10 years ago and it was amazing how similar it felt to home. I actually felt more at home in London than I do in the States when I visit there xD

I really hope you're able to get some mac & cheese. It's super quick and easy, and also works well as a base for other dishes. My boyfriend taught me about "chili mac" - can of chili and a box of mac & cheese, prep both as normal and then mix!

Maple

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 16:44:02 )
    @Alchemists Fire: sounds like your trip to London was great, I’ve never actually been.
    I do love Mac and cheese, and I think I’ve tried the Kraft one, but a long time ago. I think they had it in Asda supermarket, which is owned by Walmart.

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 16:45:49 )
@sunny: It was! I had a chance to go again several years later, but we ended up only being over there for 46 hours =(
I want to go back so badly, there's so much I still haven't had a chance to see

Ohh, Asda sounds interesting. I wonder if they import some American stuff if they're owned by Wal-mart =O

Maple

Currently dressed as: Christmas Maple

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 16:51:42 )
    @Alchemists Fire: where did you visit in London? I want to visit the Natural History Museum soon.

they do import some stuff (link), more than most other supermarkets here. I want to try Marshmallow Mateys XD

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/08/3 17:09:37 )

@sunny: I LOVE cornbread, but I noticed that some Brits don't like it, or don't want to try it. I just love the texture of it. When you add Masa (a corn flour, mixture) to anything and then bake it, it has this unique flavor and texture I love.

I also love Root Beer, but a few Brits I had try it, says it tastes like the smell of the Dentist. (I don't think so). Different brands of Root Beer also tend to taste different, so I don't know how good the ASDA one would be.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.