Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk motorcycle accidents

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 03:47:42 )

:vanora_sad:
I don't know what's going on, but it seems everyone's getting into serious motorcycle accidents this month. I wont get into the non relatives but just.. it's not exclusive. I'm losing my mind with all the consistent bad news.

First was my cousin, like one of the few ones Im close with. Came real close to losing him, he's going to be in the hospital for.. quite a while. He has several surgeries to get through to repair limbs, bladder, pelvic. aorta had a nick in it. This is pretty scary for the family. But after the first week, he was able to respond to texts and calls (though he's not supposed to cause it strains him, he's just stubborn). As much as I'm happy to hear from him and that his noggin is working just fine, I wait to check up on him for a few more weeks cause he needs serious rest.

I cried pretty hard about it cause I was worried of course. But then I cried again cause go figure, it was the day before his child's 3rd birthday that he had a party planned for.

I really wasn't ready for my sisters to be blowing up my phone tonight to tell me my dad also got in a motorcycle accident and is getting a rod put in his leg as I type this.
I just
I can't handle this, it hurts too much when people get hurt like this. It's too much for my mind to take.
I know he's going to be fine but it's bothering me so deeply.

I hate vehicles
I hate that it's like #1 cause for almost every tragedy in my family
and heck, friends too!
I've lost so many to accidents already
and so many more crippled by it

Why in the hells do we still build around NEEDING to drive these stupid death machines?
I say it all the time but i really really want to find a place where i can get rid of vehicles and just live on my feet. whys it so hard to find that :vanora_stunned:

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 04:10:58 )
i'd like to go back to when horses were the main source of transportation... motorcycles terrify me, and not just for me riding them. i'm so scared to accidentally hit one in my car, and i'm so scared for my friends and family who ride motorcycles.

your family and friends are in my thoughts, Jolly. I hope they recover soon!
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 04:18:18 )

horses can be scary too, but i trust one more than a machine.

I always really struggle with permanence.
permanent injury
permanent effect from something

like if i ever lost my finger, i don't fear the pain, but the permanence of it being gone forever is horrifying to me. i can't say why.

Thank you, though.
I know my mom is having a real hard time.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 16:00:33 )

Well he's gone through his surgeries today.
Has a metal rod in his leg replacing the tibia, and metal screws in his pelvic (hips) bones to stabilize that.

My sister was telling me how drugged up he is in the hospital this morning when she had dropped mom off to see him.
Normally when you're loopy on pain meds, I imagined you'd be more.. derpy and sluggish. My dad's bipolar though so maybe that's why its triggered anger in him, so he's been throwing tantrums.

I wish I could run up there to sit with them.
my mom sounds pretty upset on the phone, I think this is doing a big number on her
:vanora_sad:

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 16:28:10 )

In truth dad's not okay
my sister has not been able to grasp the details because she's in shock, she isn't ok.
But he has a severe concussion, brain bleeding
I'm most worried for that
I dont know how to cope with these things today

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 16:50:43 )

@Jolly: I'm so sorry to hear that. I hate how big cars/trucks are in the US. They are really just killing machines and don't need to be that big at all. I hope that your Dad will be ok. My Dad was also on death's door at one point, but luckily he recovered. I hope the same thing happens to your Dad.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 17:01:00 )

@Totalanimefan:
I hope so too
but with a head injury that bad, I dont know if he'll be the same.

someone told my cousin about it, who is still healing from his motorbike accident too.
he texted to check on me and I just about lost it.
He was cognitive almost immediately in the hospital, and I remember that brought me so much relief, cause that alone is such a good sign when someone is so critically injured. We almost lost him, but once he was conscious enough to try talking (against the nurse's wishes, cause he'd strain himself) we knew he was going to pull through.
And now, weeks later, he's able to hold conversations like normal, although he's still confined to a hospital bed for now.

My dad's not cognitive and they're still determining his internal condition
so there's no relief yet

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 17:03:39 )

@Jolly: That's true. I didn't think about that. Maybe you will need to mourn that old personality, but at least your Dad could still be around.
That's amazing about your cousin though! I'm glad they are mostly ok.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 17:07:02 )

@Totalanimefan:
yeah, thats going to be difficult to get through. But I just hope that he can become happy again. He struggles a lot with his bipolar, I hate if he'd just suffer for the rest of his life from this.
My sister is pretty messed up cause he couldn't recognize her, so there is also a big fear of his memories not returning. I know thats possible with brain bleed.

I can't express how glad I am my cousin pulled through. That was messing me up a few weeks ago

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 17:17:28 )

@Jolly: There is a small chance this could actually help his bi-polar-ness. I heard that damage to the frontal cortex can change lots of things about personalties. Wow, maybe no memories, I guess you would have to teach him about his family.
I hope he doesn't have to suffer. No one should have to live like that. You take the time that you need to process this and maybe see a therapist in a few weeks?

Yeah my Dad was in a bike accident when I was a kid, apparently that stopped him from ever doing it again. It's just so stupid that people can't ride safely because of bad car drivers. Drives my crazy (maybe pun intended)

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 17:30:59 )

@Totalanimefan:
Yeah, I think that I would be able to adapt. But I'm the one who is across the country so there's not much I can help with. Trying not to think about if he'll never remember me because I'm not even there to jog his memories.
I worry so much about my mom during this, too. She's not ok, but she's there with him every minute of it.

I dont know how to afford therapy. I guess its hard to decide "yeah I'll drop $400 a month to talk to someone" and then I bought a car instead, which cost less than any form of mental help.
sigh
I've been needing it for such a long ass time, my insanity is so chronic by now I'm probably beyond help from a simple chat. I'm half a step away from considering medication with how much recent events have been really messing my head up

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 18:05:23 )

I have this list of referral or recommendations from my doctor from months ago, when I did that simple little survey that was like "yea you depressed af"
They're all normal, expensive things.
One had a free chat source for quick counseling. It was... not helpful. She tried her best but sounded too robotic and inauthentic.
She did try to recommend I text some 2-1-1 number that would provide affordable or free resources, but its "service is not available"
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

as always I give up

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 23:46:44 )
I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through a rough time, but I hope your loved ones are able to recover to the point of happy and successful lives. I know you might feel helpless not being able to be physically there to support them, but your support with what you're doing now means more than you know. I'm not sure how to offer advice for coping, but I may suggest looking for support groups in your area. Reading your previous posts how you're worried about affording therapy, I think support groups can be an inexpensive alternative in the meantime.

One of my friends was involved in a motorcycle accident with her boyfriend earlier this year, and she got the worst of it. I won't go into detail, but she lost one of her feet and became an amputee just below the knee. She's thankfully out of the hospital and sorting through life, and I believe she plans on getting prosthetics down the road, but her boyfriend is sooo supportive of her, plus her family of course. Outwardly, she takes it like a champ, but I'm sure inwardly, she's got her own battles.

Just today we were coming home and there was a motorcyclist driving like a maniac as he weaved between cars. Really wish there was a cop around to correct that behavior. I see a lot of motorcyclists around here driving erratically and it drives me nuts that they don't acknowledge there's a thin line between life and death. Or maybe they have a death wish, but that doesn't mean they need to get others involved.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/14 00:12:34 )

@Jolly: I'm sorry.
About the therapy thing, my sessions where $150 when I lived in CA (this is before the pandemic) I know there are apps where you can talk to a therapist and they are much cheaper.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/14 23:21:49 )
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
I'm so sorry to hear that. :( And I agree. I always talk about how I want to move somewhere that you don't need to rely on a vehicle to get anywhere and there are also hardly any vehicles in sight.
Thinking about playing Pokemon Crystal again.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/19 19:52:40 )

Dad just got moved from the trauma center yesterday and is going to the next stage. Dunno how hospitals work or what exactly the next stage means, but all I know is that he's getting better. His mind was returning over the last few days and the day before yesterday I was able to talk to him on the phone. My mom had to hold the phone up on speaker phone for him, since he still has his hands all wrapped up (so he doesn't pull on tubes while he's asleep). It felt like my dad talking to me, so even despite the brain trauma, he hasn't been lost. I got him laughing a bit harder than I intended and then he fell asleep lol
He was sleeping a ton, couldnt stay awake very long. Given how quickly we were seeing improvements on his healing, I think that was a good thing.

They were back and forth on whether he would need surgery on a stomach blockage, but at the last moment, it seemed like that cleared a bit too. Still watching it but he's improving every day.

Today he's fully awake, my sister said, which means he's starting to feel everything. It'll be really rough while he's consciously aware of his pain. But I hope he continues to improve as quickly as he has so far, and that the doctors can help lessen his suffering as much as possible without stunting his healing process. I know that they're starting some physical therapy for him. And we're hoping that he may get the tubes removed tonight for his stomach.

Mom has started eating a little bit more, I think she's finding a little relief.
My sister started to lose it a little a few days ago, but she seems like she's pulling back together.
Dad's trying to get me to smuggle him a mnt dew (I wont lol)
I feel like I was doing fine for most of this, but today its hitting me again and I'm a bit unstable. But everything is getting better~

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/19 21:13:02 )

@Jolly: Wow that's amazing news! I'm so happy for you guys. It's a long road to recovery, but it seems like he will make it!

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/20 17:58:03 )

@Totalanimefan:
Yeah I'm super relieved, and that he's getting better faster than the doctor's would've thought.
It sucks that he's starting to feel everything now, and his head trauma is still a thing, sometimes he can't understand why he's suffering. He's mostly cognitive and aware, but it sounds like he still has moments of confusion.

I've been upset cause I can't call FMLA and go help my mom, she's been fighting through all this and hardly eating :vanora_sad:
Be nice if I could help her maintain her home while she's at the hospital with dad. Get her cold waters, sandwiches or something.
stupid rules
stupid covid
stupid texas
bahh

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/20 18:50:20 )

Goodness, motorcycles just do not like your family do they?
        That's horrible, on both counts but I'm glad they're both going to be okay.
        It's such a shame that motorcycles really can't be made to be any safer.
        Plus, it's not entirely just that, it's how other drivers in full vehicles treat motorcyclists.
        I have seen countless dashcam and gopro footage of people just cutting off motorcyclists, or ignoring their presence/existence period.
        It's a tragedy.
        And while travelling I have been in states where it's clearly not a law to wear a helmet and I just fear for those people's safety even more.
        I know a lot of other things can happen while riding, but a helmet can be the difference between life and death, life and severe brain damage...
        It's all just very concerning, especially because I get the appeal of motocycles.
        Smaller, easier to maneuver, and way easier on gas; but the life to death ratio isn't on your side.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/22 17:16:33 )

@Jolly: Yeah I'm soo happy that he is still him and still alive. I have PTSD and it's not easy to live with. I think that your dad should see someone when he's out of the hospital. Apparently it's easier to heal from trauma when you see a therapist sooner rather than later. I waited 10 years (cause I didn't really know any better) and the therapy was hard for me.
If I was your mom I would feel the same way, when I'm very, very stressed I don't eat and I have IBS that flares up when I'm very stressed too.
Maybe you could FaceTime her daily?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.