Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Freeze warning tonight

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/3 00:24:16 )

Everyone is having a panic after what happened with Texas last year around this time. We have a freeze warning in place tonight, and I know there are winter storms hitting my family back in Colorado already.
Right now it's pouring rain and well... unlike in Colorado where rain would dry up in 4 minutes and become an irrelevant event, here in Texas we get puddles for weeks! Those will be ice tonight.
I'm mainly scared about the drive home tonight. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little concerned for the pipes at home and living in an apartment on the ground floor. I hope no bursts or floods come of this! ono

Good thing my warm comforter came in already that I ordered. lol

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/3 01:06:04 )

I heard about that in the news. It's not going to be like what happened last year (at least that's what the weather guys said). I hope that you can stay safe. :)

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/3 02:19:59 )

At this point I'm just kinda hoping for one more day off work. pls close shop tomorrowwwww ;v;

Trying not to think about driving on ice tonight ugh

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/3 03:03:10 )

I hope they close!

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/3 16:02:54 )

Aaaaaaaaaaaannnnd
I'm off today!
\o/
gaming day!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/3 16:20:50 )
I get nervous for the southern states that aren't conditioned to cold weather. </3
If you get another freeze warning, turn your faucet on and let water drip. It prevents freezing and as annoying as the sound is, it helps.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/3 21:58:02 )

Yay for being off. I'm glad that you guys didn't have to drive in that.
How are you doing? Is it really cold in your place?

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/4 20:25:53 )

@Koah:
Funny thing about that, my cat is obsessed with water. So leaving the faucets to drip at night has had her so hyper focused that she hasn't been pestering me in my sleep as much this week :vanora_xd:
(she's still a kitten, always wants to play)
That has been real nice lmao

@Totalanimefan:
Yeah, I'm glad we didn't try it yesterday. Cause my job didn't actually close, for some reason, even though the rest of the city did (we are obv not "essential" workers, and even then no one should be out in that!) but my manager offered me to stay in so I said YUP

Today we were to be back to normal hours, running like "normal" even though the ice has not gone away at all, if anything its more solid today. Texas doesn't salt the roads here or anything, probably dont have any equipment on hand for this. So it lingers.
I tried going to work while forgetting this detail, and had a good ol panic attack (partner was driving thank goodness), turned around and gave up. So... at home day 2. The city is extra closed today but my job is extra open. Why? DONT KNOW! lol

@Q t e a p o n:
Oh boy, stay safe there! I know canada is bound to be more prepared than texas, but still!
By the forecast it should let up after today. The sun just came out too, so maybe it'll get a little warmer than predicted! I hope the rest of the state is doing ok though, I'm certainly not in the worst area

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/4 20:45:16 )

@Jolly: What?! I can't believe they don't salt the roads. What they don't have money for that? XD
I'm sorry you had a panic attack, but at least now you are home and safe. -hugs-

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/4 21:05:12 )

@Totalanimefan:
Thats probably what it is, honestly. I was appalled by it at first, but my mom talked me down and explained how these things work and how very expensive it is to get the equipment to spread the salts. And they dont have a long shelf life or soemthing, so its like millions of dollars the city would pour out for something "just in case". Because this weather is unusual and all, there's no reason they would've had it before last year.

I think I've played enough age of empires to understand how balancing resources works and it can take a long time to work up to a concept. XD

But yeah, it was a pretty bad one. I dont think my partner has seen me have a panic attack before, and there's nowhere to pull over or turn around on these roads (poor design, and pullover spots are just ice af) so I kinda feel bad for making him worry but he kept me safe! Haha my darn driving phobia just gave a big ass kick today! I'm fine though

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/4 21:39:28 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

I live in CO but our land lady was so insisted our pipes would not freeze if it's 20 degrees in the house
cause she claims we used too much water[she waters the grass when it's dead...]
which our pipes did freeze in the kitchen.

But luckily today it's working.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/4 22:50:25 )

@Jolly: Yeah it is an investment for sure. It's a lot for a city's budget, but if it means people can't get to work, or school, or wherever they need to go, it costs the economy millions. But that's not directed at you. I know you think it's ridiculous too. lol
It's becoming so common in Texas now, it's just crazy.

Good that you are ok in the end. :)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.