Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/23 13:22:05 )
I really want to get into cosplay. I’m inspired by this Youtuber who cosplays, Kleiner Pixel and she always looks so cool with her cosplays. I want to cosplay as Violet Evergarden with the wig, makeup, outfit, basically everything. I’m just worried how much it’ll cost as I don’t have a job. ;_;

Does anyone else cosplay and if so, do you have any pictures to share?

Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/23 20:16:36 )

You could always get a normal outfit that represents the character you want to cosplay until you can afford the actual thing :) sort of like Disney bounding. I’d recommend spending money on the wig and then just thrifting the other stuff you don’t have~
That’s awesome pretty much how I cosplayed so far xD

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/23 22:10:02 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

Ah ive been cosplaying since 2014, im not fantastic at all and only do it for fun. My best friend and her brother do way bigger/complicated cosplays then me and ive been in contact with some... i gues populair/famous cosplayers (They made books about their cos and get invited to difrent countrys to host cosplay shows ect)... What im tryna say is that i know some stuff lol

So to start off with theres no wrong way to cosplay (ofc except for blackface, asianfishing ect but i feel like thats pretty obvious). With that said, ill dable into some difrent ways:

1: buying ready as, there are quite some stores online dedicated to cosplays. If you dont wanna/cant make it yourself then you can go with this. Now note, there are places like Aliexpress where you can get a cosplay for probably the cheapest price but its always a hit or miss. Often times it would look rather cheap as the material isnt the best. However ive bought 2 difrent cosplays from similer sites and back then i was pleased (I bought clear from dmmd and kaneki ken (ghoul ver) from tokyo ghoul), Some even do custom sizing. However a base price can easely come to 100$. Ofc if you buy from a profesional youl get the best quality but that will be noticeable in price

2: diy! like 90% of my cosplays where made by myself or bought as regular clothing items i changed. Imo the most fun part ab cosplay is the making and having the payoff to show ppl. And i feel like this method is the cheapest if you already have the stuff to make it (i collect all kinds of art crafts so most of the time i have what i need). I also wanna note that i sew everything by hand. Its very tedious but its posible!

3: you can mix n match! Buy a wig but make a shirt ect. Ontop of that on fb theres plenty of groups dedicated to selling/buying cosplays. You might be able to find a good deal there. What i mostly do is make things myself but buy cheap metarials on aliexpress (ribbon, fake nails, gloves ect)

Now looking specificly at the character you want to cosplay ill tell you what id do.
-Id get a long blonde wig and braid it myself. Often times prestyled wigs can quite expensive. To style a wig you can use got2b (a very strong hairspray), a wig stand (foam heads and plastic wig stands you can find very cheap online) and ofc elastics, ribbons ect. However its always posible to do it without the spray and wig stand.
-For the hands id get very thin black gloves and glue foam (eva foams the most populair but i personally use kids foam as it alot cheaper) on them to replicate the mechanical parts wich you can then paint with metalic paint. Also foam can be shaped with heat. You can use a hairdryer but i think that would be clumsy. Instead for smaller parts yoe can use a candle, you simply hold your piece of foam above the fire and it will go kind of limb. Then place it on the part you want and hold it and it will take the shape. Be careful tho not to burn yourself.
-For shoes id look in a clearance store or second hand, just try to find something with a heel/sole you like and is comfortable to walk in!!! If you already have shoes that would work even better! Best part about this is you dont have to destroy your shoes!! heres a short tutorial how to make shoe covers!
-for the clothes itself i personally would look at chepaer alternatives. But a white dress and blue jacket. Detail can always be added later. The blue jacket can be sewn shorter and with ribbon those lines in the front of the dress can be added.
I think those are the main parts?

Its always handy to write down everything you need and what it could potentially cost. Therefor i use an app called "cosplanner", it lets you add things you need to buy and make, you can add a price to it and if its done you can mark it. Its handy to see your progress and how much you still need to do ect

Now for pictures... I dont have alot since ive always been rather nervous to show myself online, but here are some:

Ralsei from deltarune:

This was my fursona back in 2016, since that the head has in fact changed

Deku from bnha in the halloween costume

Some other cosplays ive done that i just never took pictures of:
Howl from Howls moving castle, Sans from undertale, Kaneki ken from takyo ghouls, clear drom dmmd, Tiger billionair from steven universe... i know ive done more but i just cant remember lol. Ive also done quite alot of my own characters.
Some character id love to cosplay one day:
Tom nook from acnl or acnh, Gimli from lord of the rings, Aziraphale from good omens, Grunkle stan from gravity falls, and a bunch more of my characters lol

I hope this was somewhat helpfuln if you have question feel free to let me know ^^

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/24 00:11:06 )

I haven't cosplayed but I've always wanted to.

Not to get too personal, but I'm black, so growing up I thought I wasn't allowed to cosplay due to my skin. That reason kept me from trying it out. I remember not seeing too many characters that looked like me that I could cosplay as, and it took me years to even realize that I could actually cosplay as anyone I wanted to. :0

I've always wanted to do a Kairi cosplay, though, or even Gidget from Eureka Seven. :)

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/24 02:15:06 )
I actually did one cosplay as Sabrina from Chilling Adventures of Sabrina by buying stuff similar to what she wore and went to a convention. I just didn’t really count it as a ‘real’ cosplay as it wasn’t the exact thing and no one noticed me there. >.<

Voltie — It or She Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/29 03:38:40 )
I want to cosplay but my parents won't let me you guys are lucky.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/30 01:40:29 )
ˑؘ ۪۪۫۫Formerly known as ChiffonOrange ۪۪۫۫ ؘ

I never cosplayed before although I wished I could cosplay as my favourite characters (Tails from Sonic series, etc.) or maybe just cosplay something simple since I'm not really good at sewing. ^^;

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/31 11:56:54 )
I've been cosplaying since 2009, but it took me a while to actually learn to make things. ^^;

I'm also usually on a budget so I either make my own stuff if I'm confident enough or buy cheap. When buying cheap though it's best to check reviews especially in places like aliexpress and ebay, especially if any reviews include photos so you know what you're getting.
I mostly lurk, but will post from time to time.

Voltie — It or She Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/11/9 19:59:38 )
I wish I could cosplay

Donator — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/11/9 21:16:58 )
❝ 𝒘𝒆'𝒓𝒆 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕
𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒏𝒐 𝒏𝒆𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒐𝒏𝒆
𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚'𝒅 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒖𝒔 𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒏 ... ❞

@Hazbin: You're 18, yes? I understand doing things while you're at your parents house is still hard but legally, they can't necessarily *stop* you from doing anything. If you purchase your own clothing, you can take some of that money and put it towards a "future cosplay funds".

❝ ... 𝒔𝒐 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈'𝒔 𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕
𝒘𝒆'𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒍𝒇 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆
𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒏𝒐 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒆𝒅𝒔 𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒐𝒏 ❞

Voltie — It or She Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/11/9 23:21:59 )
@vioxeri: True thanks that gives me some hope

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.