Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Officially One Year of Shelter in Place/Lockdown

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 17:19:32 )

Hi all, it was a year ago that I started sheltering in place. My husband and I were already working from home, but we went out to a restaurant and had a sit down meal on March 8th, 2020 because it was our wedding anniversary. Anyway, the next day we decided that was it. The cases were growing a lot in the Bay Area and we had at least 12 flights a day to and from China and Asia. (Because of Tech business).

In the beginning it was really hard. There was no food at all in the stores, in the US we didn't know about wearing masks or not and there was a lot of misinformation. I couldn't even buy an apple, or chicken, flour, bread, pasta, etc. I remember seeing the isles completely empty. And the world was completely stopped. There was nothing to look forward to. No movies, no hanging with friends or family, no going to work unless you were lucky enough, everything closed. Life was hard and it was hard to find hope.

Of course I've left my house since then and the seasons have changed. I've moved across the country, bought an ebike (which I love), then moved again locally when I bought a house and am looking forward to things becoming more normal during spring and maybe even back to normal by the fall? Who knows.

What has your year in lockdown looked like? It's easy to think that this was a wasted or forgotten year. But I want to know, what were the big milestones? There must have been at least one.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 18:17:30 )
I haven't had much in the way of milestones, but I am happy and thankful that I'm healthy, my parents are healthy, and my cats are healthy. I've enjoyed working from home, despite being unsure if it's good for me or not lol.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 18:23:58 )

@Priestess of Pie: Good that everyone is healthy. :)
Maybe this summer you can return to working in person, or maybe half and half.
Oh didn't you become an artist for Voltra in the last 12 months?

Donator — Frog bless Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 18:26:05 )
I mean, I'm not going to hold my breath... I do live in TX after all.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 21:11:10 )

A whole year already? Damn, it hardly feels that long at all :O The past year has been CRAAAAZY, and scary in so many ways. This time last year we had just had my granddad's funeral, and then it all started happening. I have only left my house for grocery and doctor's visits and dog walks, though I did go and visit my grandmother in Nottingham once. I've only been in a city once when I accompanied my mum for a hospital appointment. I have basically not interacted with anyone beyond my mum and brother for a whole year. It feels so weird to say that. My mum sold our car sometime in August so I haven't left my village since then. We are getting a new car tomorrow so we should be able to go on dog walks further afield. And of course we are moving in the next week or so, so that's going to be a Whole Thing.

Lockdown is being eased in the UK and things are slowly getting back to normal. 15th of April I think they said, though I personally think it is too early to ease lockdown. Lockdown WORKS and we should stay locked down. The government essentially has decided that the people who will die are acceptable losses.

They have given the vaccine to all the most vulnerable, carers of the most vulnerable, and the over 65s so far. I am waiting for my vaccine still, but it should be soon. Things are opening up and soon non-essential shops will be open. Masks are still required, but tbh I think I'll be wearing a mask for a long time yet.

It's weird that it's been a whole year.....

(sorry this post was so long it even had paragraphs lol)

Donator — He/Him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 21:53:00 )
shit sucks

my grandpa has been stuck in cali. He wants to come back up here so bad. :/

it's not even covid's fault really. but it doesn't help the situation.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 22:10:42 )

@Shark: That does suck. Does he own a house in Cali? Is there where you are from?

@sunny: I hope that you can see your grandma again soon. And I think the move will be good for you. You will get out of the place that you had to spend 2020 in. So that's good. And hopefully it will be better for your dog. They haven't told you when you are going to get it yet?! That's awesome. I hope it's before April 15th. Since that's when the UK is lifting the restrictions. Did your mom get her 2nd shot yet?

@Priestess of Pie: Bless you for living there. XD I never knew that. Where you ok during the power outage? Did the pipes burst in your home?
I don't know if you saw my edit, but didn't you come a pixel artist for Voltra in the past 12 months?

Donator — He/Him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 22:15:37 )
@Totalanimefan: no he's with his daughters. I'm not blood related, but he's more of a grandpa than my actual ones lol. that's where I grew up yeah. bay area.

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — Frog bless Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 22:27:39 )
@totalanimefan: We were very lucky and had power the whole time so no damages here.

And yeah I think it's been about a year now. o_o Crazy.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 22:43:50 )

@Totalanimefan: no she hasn't :O And I still have no idea when I will get mine. LOL the government is a mess.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 22:50:05 )

@Bioshock: :((((
Soon you will be able to see them.

@Shark: Oh I see. I used to live in San Jose. But then I moved this summer.

@Priestess of Pie: Wow that's good to hear. My heart was breaking for the people of Texas. I donated to some causes to help out. I'm glad that you are a pixel artist on here. I like your work a lot ^^

@sunny: Yeah a big mess. Is it getting better at least? The vaccine rollout has been horrible here, but it's slowly starting to turn around. We did get a new leader this year though.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 22:52:19 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah they are getting better. They have moved on to the next age range at least. Lots of people have already had the first dose, so that's good. My brother had his (because he is my mum's carer) but idk when mine will happen :(

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 22:56:07 )

@sunny: I read that we are up to 60 million people with one shot in them. That's 18% of are population. You guys must be at least 18% done right? I feel like in the beginning you guys were doing it better than us.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 22:59:17 )

@Totalanimefan: around 30% of the UK population has had the first dose of the jab so far. It's going well I'm just impatient!

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — Any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 00:20:12 )

:::ʚ♡ɞ:::
Its been kind of hard, I was on probation when COVID started. But, it did get me off pretty early so theres a huge plus!
A lot actually happened to me last year, i left a toxic ex, started working (tho covid made me lose my job quickly), got with a new boyfriend, moved, and i finally am able to be the goth gf i wanted to be lol.
Groceries are insane here tho

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 00:58:27 )

@sunny: That's pretty good. We should be that far too. ^^;
@milkshake: That's a lot of ups and downs, but I'm glad you are in a good place right now. Groceries here have gotten so expensive too! I heard the average bill is up 20% in the US.

Donator — She, Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 01:04:31 )

Honestly not a whole lot changed for me during lockdown etc. at least nothing that is like a big change or milestone etc.

At first I didn't go out at all because I was kind of worried about being around people(I mean I do that in general but this was worse) with the virus going around. So for the first month or two I literally just stayed home(which really didn't bother me being the introvert I am) and let the others in my house do the shopping etc. But I did eventually just start going out more and more as the months passed and I got REALLY bored.

We were worried about toilet paper for a bit haha!! Talk about crazy. We did have some loses in the family though, the hardest one being the loss of my dog Gracie in October. It still saddens me from time to time.

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”

Donator — Any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 01:07:28 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeh, im very thankful to be in the position im in now haha.
Its craaazy! Ive seen things that used to be a dollar go up to like, 3 or 4. We were really struggling at the start of the pandemic, thank goodness for food banks.

Please ping me!

Voltie — they/any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 01:25:45 )
mind if i hop in? ^^;;

in my case with being quarantined for a whole year, i personally have struggled, especially during the later stages. if i remember correctly, i'd come down with a cold RIGHT before our first case of covid was found here (patient zero, as my sister calls me). my dad broke the news to my family that one of the elders here had gotten sick, and a two-week quarantine was issued by the governor. well... two weeks became four weeks, then a month, then the cases spiked rapidly... it was very scary! especially since my parents are susceptible to covid, since they're in their mid-fifties at this point, and they still had to work during these times. my mom was exceptionally busy since she was an essential worker, as she actually works in one of the more important departments where we live.

come august 17th, i started online classes. it was a bumpy start since this was a new mode of learning, but i settled in quick with all the new programs i'd be using to attend classes and doing work. however, because i was so used to just lounging around, i quickly started to suffer during school, specifically with turning in my work. i ended my first semester with two failing grades. i started off my second semester fine, i was turning in my work, but i then immediately fell back into the same rut i was in back then. i guess this is my fault since it's so easy to just do the work and turn it in, but i'm really not the best at that! i was raised in an environment where i never had to work as hard, since at home i had siblings who did all the heavy lifting (not anymore, they've moved on), and i was just the baby who had to be looked after. now it's just me and i'm trying to make it work before i even graduate, so...

tl;dr: i'm not the best, but i'm trying to make it better!

also: restrictions nowadays have been lifted a bit, but i'm still being cautious whenever i have to go out in public! not only that, vaccines had come in a few months ago, and our elders here are being vaccinated including my mom, and hopefully my dad! i can't wait until i can get vaccinated, but it's gonna be a while until that happens.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 01:56:07 )

@NixieFae: At first I didn't leave the house at all either except to walk the dog, but I wasn't walking near anyone on my walks. Now I feel ok doing for a walk outside with a mask. I still keep my distance though. I'm sorry for you loss. :( That must be really hard.

@milkshake: It's crazy! I will do an online order and I'll see the total at the end and I'm like, why is it so expensive? T-T Covid just made the prices raise. Maybe they will go back down a little bit after people start eating at restaurants more? Food banks are amazing! I'm glad that you could use them. My sister had to use them a few times. I donated to some food banks in 2020 because I know they needed it and I also gave to food banks around Christmas time instead of getting some gifts for extended family. (Like in their name)

@scarabee: Of course I don't mind. This is a thread for everyone. ^^
I had a cold in Jan and I can't tell you how many people asked if I had covid, while I didn't feel good, I didn't have it. I'm glad you had just a cold too.
I don't know how your mom does it. She is very brave.
I thought about taking online classes during Covid, but I feel like I wouldn't be able to keep up. If you fail you can just try again! School isn't easy and COVID doesn't make it any easier. You have to set aside time every week to do the homework and other things for the class like studying. I recommend haven't a set day or a set time that you always work on school work. For me it was always on Fridays, with the rest of the weekend if I needed more time. During the week I was going to school, studying and working.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.