Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I've recently got into candles

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/12 21:31:06 )

I've been burning a lavender candle every night at bedtime and I think it's helping me sleep. I need all the help I can get tbh.

Do you like candles? What scents are your favourites?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/12 21:41:24 )

@koneko: yeah they sure do have some cute jars. I had like hundreds to choose from today, but I stuck with lavender. I like floral ones too, I think I prefer the stronger smelling ones though, which is weird because usually I have a lot of sensory issues around smell so idk....

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/12 23:15:10 )

I love candles. I feel like if I get cheap ones the smell gives me a headache. It's probably whatever artificial fragrance they use.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — she, her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 03:14:23 )

I really love candles, my friend owns a metaphysical store and makes their own candles- so I always have a nice scent burning while putting my intentions into it.

Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 05:33:02 )
I love candles! I stick with floral scents but summer/beach ones are amazing as well. My favorite candle rn is champagne toast, which is white gardenia and grapefruit!

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 10:48:47 )
@sunny: i love candles .. especially the yankee ones.. at the minute i love the wax scented melts.. the girl i buy them off does all sorts of secents even dettol xD but my favourite one i get off her is the perfume scented ones.. the issey miyake ones they're so lush ^.^ i also like the cool water ones too

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 15:02:02 )
@sunny: Oh, that's good! I love candles, but have gotten away from using them lately for some reason. I should start doing this as well - thanks for the reminder! <3

It sound like you're doing a couple things for yourself by using the candles at night - you've created an evening ritual for yourself that signals the brain and body to start relaxing (which is very good, especially these days), one that may possibly even lead to a meditative practice, and unless you're lighting candles when the electronic devices and all the lights are still on, you're removing yourself from the blue light of these things (which has been shown to disrupt sleep cycles) and instead subjecting yourself to the warm amber light of the candles (which has been shown to help sleep cycles). Basically, you're reinforcing the natural circadian rhythms of sun up = up and active, sun down = rest, and giving yourself signals to relax. Depending on the scents of the candles, you can even be using some aromatherapy techniques!

And my wall of text aside, candles are just a beautiful, lovely light to enjoy! <3

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 15:06:29 )
@sunny: Mmmmm candles!
I’m a big fan of the “clean smelling” scents, lemons, linens, etc for my day to day use.
I have one called Paris Cafe that smells like coffee and I love it for a cozy evening and when I have company. It just makes you want to curl up with a book and relax.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 20:46:53 )

@Totalanimefan: I think the one i got is a mid-range one. It hasn't given me a headache at least XD

@koneko: ah, I'm gthe complete opposite. INsense gives me hella migraines :/

@Lithium: I need me a friend like that!

@timeandtimor: ngl that sounds absolutely delicious. I love the dsmell of grapefruit.

@LilMissKushy: dettol flavoured candles?? I'm not too sure abouit that lol/

@Wildfire: all of what you said makes so much sense! I'm glad there's science behind it to back it up. All I know is it helps me chill out. I have the candle lit during the whole of my evening, so a couple hours on my laptop and then bedtime :) I have a blue light filter on mylaptop and phone :)

@Mousy: Ilove lemon and linen too! So relaxing :)

idk what is wrongwith my keyboard somebody help me :O

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 20:47:25 )

@Mousy: i love your avatar btw!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 21:52:07 )
@sunny: LOL - can you tell I've investigated things like this? I'm happy you found something that you enjoy and that is helping you relax. It's really important!
┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 21:53:14 )

@Wildfire: You certainly seem very knowledgeable on the subject! Thanks for the info :)

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 22:07:11 )

@koneko: It's a sensory overload thing for sure. My aunt burns a lot of incense and several times I've gotten overwhelmed when I go to her house and she's just finished burning a stick, or whatever you call the individual things of incense.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 22:29:16 )

@koneko: idk if that's what happens, I just know the two things are linked and seem to happen together in my body. Bodies are weird! XD

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 22:42:54 )
@sunny: yeah it just smells like a clean smell xD they're nice but i like my perfume scented ones

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/13 22:56:45 )
Yesss I hope you invest in a grapefruit scented candle sometimes, they're super lovely
returned 6/7

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/15 01:14:35 )
I wasn't really into scented candles myself until my boyfriend.
He was so into it, he would always want us to drop by Bath and Body Works when we have the chance lol

Currently my fave is Endless Weekend, and Strawberry Poundcake from them

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/15 01:35:39 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

I like candles but I never light them for some reason.
Maybe in the future I will buy some new ones and light them while I work on art.
It could help me create a nice relaxing atmosphere for my art studies.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.