Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk So, I got some new paints....

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 06:59:52 )
Daniel Smith watercolors! I've been wanting them for sooooo long. And since I was told I can use WC in my drawing final, I decided a set of primaries (plus indigo because I like to avoid using a true black when I can.) And omg... Y'all I'm hooked. Previously I thought I couldn't get good color payout from my Cotman watercolors because I was just crap at mixing but these colors, even when they dry... Just, amazing. I've been having so much fun because my color mixing has been going awesome and I just... When this project is over I'm just going to hoard colors from this brand. Phenomenal. Anyone else got this feel?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 07:15:54 )

@Lucifera: Firstly, Watercolours are bloody brilliant.
Secondly, my fave so far is the Royal Talens Van Gogh set that I use atm.
Although the Sakura Koi and Arteza brands are decent too!

I haven't used the Cotman, but I've heard they're really good.
And I want to try the White Nights (I think it is) brand tooo. (They're Russian, if that helps?)
One of my fave peeps to watch ong Youtube uses 'em XD

I've never used the ones you mentioned!
Maybe I should look into them. Hmmm
What kind of price tag do they carry?

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 07:26:16 )
@Amber Lynne: They are! I haven't used royal talens, mainly because I've been so familiar with Daniel smiths, they always come super highly recommended to me... xD I tried Kuretaki gansai, I've tried cotman's tubes and the pan sets, and I Believe I've also played with holbein samples. DS is by far my favorite. It's hard to explain but yeah. xD

Cotmans aren't my favorite. Granted I use student grade because if I went artist grade, I'd be better off paying for DS. =P But they always look so nice wet, then dry so dull for me. Also takes a lot of digging for me to get a good amount of pigment in a wash. So obviously, easy come easy go. But good for sketchbooks/practice which is why I haven't tossed them.

DS is definitely not on the cheap end. xD It's why it took me years and a decent excuse to decide to grab some. 4 colors (i believe theya re mainly from series 1) was $89 CAD. These were 15ml tubes. BUT, a little goes a VERY long way, and I'm hardly digging to get nice colors. If anything I use more water to dilute to get my first wash and water is pretty much free so, imo, idc about that. Lol. They flow nice, each series you can get different features. My french ultramarine granulates a bit which I personally like... Like I am in love with them. All the color swatches I've gotten (got a sample of other popular colors) are beautiful and dry pretty much true to color, with very little dulling.

But yeah. xD Probably more than you wanted to know but I honestly am so happy, and I'm actually building a pallete of DS watercolors over the summer with a goal to have my perfect color pallete by fall. Which means yes, I am gonna get some of the series 2+ that are far steeper in price, but I am taking advantage of this opportunity to build. Lol.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 07:45:53 )

@Lucifera: Ohhh, that's lovely.
But ouch. That makes my wallet cry. LOL
I'm actually working to collect a bunch of cheap watercolours off of Amazon for Youtube vid tests of them. Because I like the idea of affordable paints. XD

Also yay for another Canadian! I'm in southern Ontario myself =)

But fair! I'll have to look into 'em myself.
If nothing else, I can grab one or two tubes here and there, mix them in with the other paints I have!

I also really like the da vinci watercolours I have. They're super thick, almost oil paint thick, so you don't need much per colour! But ... they get pricey (depending on the series, of cours.e I think my current ones are 1 and 4. I think the 1 was like $13CAD? and the 4 was ... I wanna say close to $25CAD)

OH
since you're in Canada ... want a link to an art shop you can order from that has copics for $7CAD instead of 10 or 11? (They have cheap prices. Love 'em!)
XD
And yes, with this pandemic, they are still doing orders!

Donator — UWU/ Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 07:51:54 )
@lucifera:
it be nice if im able to buy more traditional art materials. Unfortunately I have to wait until the non essential items delivery is allowed. Im using my trad stuff sparingly to last for a month. Im using colored leads when i wanted to sketch and thats the stuff im running out fast if im not careful.
月の兎 ☆★☆ 鹿の光
カイル • WISHLIST

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 08:36:34 )
@Amber Lynne: xD mine too... But I've been like "If it works well compared to cheap stuff, it's worth it." with skincare and hair care and clothes, so I need to apply that to my art supplies. These tubes won't run out fast, and tbh... I use less of them than if I use cotmans... =\ (not bashing any brands but like, I like my vibrancy, first and foremost.)

I am in saskachewan, so like... the worst place in canada ever, tbh. xD Super boring, super concerning levels of addiction/homelessness which makes me super sad... Not great for music or most summer activities. Lol. Like idk how my province is ok. It's as bland as oatmeal.

I heard m graham is good, and Da vinci has good reviews as well. My plans are to build an artist quality palette with colors I love. Rn, I really like Daniel smiths, but I'm sure some other brands will come into my palette over the summer. (So if there are suggestions for the good stuff, bruh... I will buy, try, and see if it's a keeper for my custom or a giveaway. xD )

If you want a nice, dark color that isn't a black, the indigo is like... It's exactly what indigo should me imo. Looks almost black when fully saturated, but a beautiful deep blue/sapphire when diluted. And when added to vibrant colors, brings the vibrancy down for those more dull/shadowed washes. It's my go-to for dulling my mixing for skintones tbh. I learned it from Kellogsloops and it's been a staple since. xD But send me some swatches of the Da vinci! I wanna see if they compare!

You said the magic words, send it to me. xD My grandpa is helping me build a marker storage case and I am going to fill that thing. xD (plus most of my local shops are super high in price on markers so I stopped using them. =\ )

@Kairu: What?!?! you can't get any deliveries at all of like, art supplies? But like, that feels like the most essential thing to me. If anyone kept me from restocking I'd literally go crazy and start rampaging. xD They can take away takeout, and most outings. But if they take my art supplies, it's sacrilege and I will fight them! xD

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 09:11:13 )

@Lucifera: Sorry about the delay. Got caught up with other things. XD

And isn't indigo supposed to be a mix of blue and purple...?
Hmmm

REGARDLESS
It's always good to find paints you love. Even if a mix of brands!

Oh!
And here's the link for ya~<3

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 09:21:29 )
@Amber Lynne: No problem! Lol.

Nope! True indigo is a very deep, dark, blue dye. And this color is honestly true to that origin.

indeed! I think my hesitation with M. graham though, is the fact that it uses honey as it's binder. And it has been said to be tacky if it's like, a more heavy wash, also a bit shiny. And so that's something I'd have to be careful of but. i'm excited.

Omg... Thank you! And is this legit? Cause like, omg... My sketchbook I bought from my local shop is like, literally half the price... =O

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 09:28:03 )

@Lucifera: Completely legit. I go there every chance I get, and they've been open for years.
It's where I get my alcohol markers and watercolours from, mostly. XD

It's a lovely store (that I almost had a job at, even, LOL) that doesn't have everything, but has a lot. It's awesome~<3

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/29 09:52:14 )

I love watercolors. ^^

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 02:39:45 )

ooOoO nice. I love watercolors.

°<°art by Keturah🖤🦖🖤

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 03:57:19 )
@Amber Lynne: Oooh, I shall have to try ordering something sometime! I'd love to get another tube of paint if possible! I'm like, hooked. =P

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 03:58:23 )

@Lucifera: How can you not be? lol
Paints are wonderful~<3

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 04:04:06 )
@Amber Lynne: They are! I also have a color swatch comparison from daniel smith and cotmans if you want me to send?

Also I could probably afford one 5ml tube from them but like, how does one decide? Do they sell copic refills too or just the markers?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 04:06:27 )

@Lucifera: I'd love to see.

And just the markers, sadly.
But Amazon has 'em decently cheap ($13CAD for most) And you can get, from what I've read I think like a dozen refills out of that?
The issue is the 1-2 month wait time for it to arrive. XD

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 04:09:59 )
@Amber Lynne: Also, these are literally the same color. The cotman I had to dig to get that level of saturation. I mean really moving my brush in the paint to get it to be saturated. the DS took me like, 2 swipes and that was it's level of saturation.

Awe darn... Well, it's all good. A local shop here sells them around the same price so I guess I shall buy them from there. xD
And yeah, that can be a bit of a bummer but, hey... maybe it's worth the wait.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 04:16:17 )

@Lucifera: I don't see why not worth it. XD

And yeah, I can see the difference.
I have some paints from Wish that... are suprisingly good, if I'm being honest.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 04:23:23 )
@Amber Lynne: Yeah... I honestly thought it was all hype about them but I get it now. Lol. I am going to try other brands that are artist quality too but, fn, this is pretty fun and i love it.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 04:25:40 )

@Lucifera: Heh, totally fair!
Honestly, one should try *all* paints, I think. XD

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 19:58:16 )
@Amber Lynne: Ehhh, i feel like trying all paints is pretty unrealistic. It'd be super expensive, and at the end of the day, if one just isn't good the cash is wasted... =P I tend to try things that have mostly good reviews, and avoid those that have terrible reviews. That way I'm not buying everything and end up with 0 monies.
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.