Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk So, I got some new paints....

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/30 21:28:58 )

@Lucifera: XD
The problem with that though, is that some with no or low reviews could end up being your new fave.
May not be a high chance, but always a possibility.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 00:24:29 )
@Amber Lynne: But you honestly just can't buy every paint out there. There are a lot of smaller brands up and coming, and even they have reviews. Nothing has absolutely 0 reviews. And personally, I'd rather put money where I know it won't go to waste. =\ Otherwise it's money that could have went to food, good supplies, my dog, clothes...

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 00:48:03 )

@Lucifera: And that's why I have a wishlist on amazon full of art supplies under 50 CAD. XD
I'll test shit so you don't have to

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 03:19:29 )
@Amber Lynne: Ayyy! Lol. Do eeet!
I also just like that a lot of pigments used in DS are adapted from pigments used in car paints so some are literally one color wet then multicolor dry. And it's so cool. 8D

Meanwhile my wishlist on amazon is a lot of different art supplies plus some cute stationery. xD

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 03:30:32 )

@Lucifera: Oh nice~
I would love some duo or multi chrome paints

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 07:34:58 )
@Amber Lynne: Yeah... Let me see... I don't think they are the same as duochrome because those actually have shimmer.

I have this one on a sample swatch sheet (so I can play with some colors) and it actually shows up like this but it's matte. It's so cool. xD Idk what I'd ever use it in but... Maybe I will google ways to use it and see.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 07:37:38 )

@Lucifera: That is super pretty~<3
Flowers!
Or another accent~<3

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 07:49:14 )
@Amber Lynne: it is! I tried using it but it's a challenging color because you don't know wher the hue shift will land.
Maybe flowers... hm..

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 07:50:44 )

@Lucifera: That's fair
But it's definitely an accent colour.
headband, or streaks in the hair.
Trim on a piece of clothing, etc.

It's so pretty though~<3

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 07:53:43 )
@Amber Lynne: It is... I almost want to buy it to try using colors like this in my portraits and paintings. Hm...

It is. there's other hues too, like same effect but in glues and greens. So pretty.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 07:55:17 )

@Lucifera: Honestly, those could make a REALLY interesting portrait.

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/31 08:02:36 )
@Amber Lynne: They really could. Lol.

Voltie — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/4 20:47:06 )
There's something foul about the air here...

Finally getting good art supplies after being miserable with lower-tier supplies is so satisfying. If I hadn't gotten proper watercolors and had stuck with the really godawful set of Grumbacher colors, I would've never chosen to continue using watercolors

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/4 23:29:16 )
@grost: Same... And my issue with the Kuretake Gansai was because of the pigment mixes, it got muddy even if i layered carefully.
I truly believe the best way to learn a new medium is the just get primaries artist quality. Because like I got primaries and an indigo, and though I want a few more colors (just to give me some paints that are saturated for more amethyst purples) Like, I can mix skin tones so easily, and use my mix for days without having to take too much from my pans.

I am building a custom set and I want to try some Mijello mission golds, but I hear mixed reviews on them. Waiting to see if anyone here has experience with them before I buy a tube?

Voltie — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/5 00:51:55 )
There\'s something foul about the air here...

@Lucifera: I got a cute little tin set of Jane Davenport watercolors from michaels and replaced a couple of the little cakes in there with tubed Cotman colors. Absolutely just 👨‍🍳👌 and convenient as all hell

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/5 21:54:47 )
@grost: Bruh I hated my cotmans. xD I wanna give w&n artist series a fair go but I'm scared i'd have the same issues... like I've reached a point where I am paranoid that if I spend money on a watercolor tube I'm not 100% about, that I will be stuck with another supply I don't use. I honestly kinda wanna make a facebook group for like a supply trade in my city, but I feel like that'd be super sketchy because of the kinda people that are here. (literally people putting poison in hotdogs and throwing them into yards with animals in them. Crazy folks live here.)

Voltie — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/6 01:24:18 )
There's something foul about the air here...

@Lucifera: Damn dude that's messed up :(
I just bought the smallest possible tube of brown red and pink iirc. They probably are garbage but I'm just so used to the worst possible thing I could've bought from Blick that anything is magic to me

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/6 01:29:52 )
@grost: Yup... And since I have doggies I just don't trust people in my city. O.o
xD I mean tbh they bother me just because I have set expectations for what I want in my paints and supplies. If you don't have those expectations they could be pretty rad.
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.