Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat At last... SLEEP!

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 16:13:51 )

Anyone who knows me knows that I loathe sleep, but it is a necessary evil. And one that I haven't been getting much of for weeks now, with work to do and errands to run and minor changes to my schedule wreaking havoc as they tend to do (one night of not being able to get to sleep until 4am will ruin me for months). I've been struggling to get my sleep schedule back on track for a while, but it's almost impossible for me unless I'm able to slowly work on it over a few days/weeks, but life doesn't really afford me days at a time to just do what I please.
Having to get up 2 hours earlier than usual yesterday meant me hardly sleeping at all, and on top of being mentally exhausted from everything going on, I came home feeling sore, tired, brain checked out, and basically like I been hit by a truck. Not unusual for me as it is thanks to Crohn's, so double that during periods of heavy work and little sleep.
So while I still have work today, I go in later (back to my usual time, that is) and I managed to fall asleep around the time I was supposed to have been falling asleep all this time now thanks to being so tired. And because I didn't have to leave earlier than usual, I got a full 9 hours. Still a little sore, and that's only gonna get worse over the next few days because I don't have another day off til the 27th... but at least I'm rested. For the first time in probably a month now.

DAE have this toxic relationship with sleep

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 16:25:01 )

It's a love hate thing with me. I enjoy sleeping, but I also know that there's a million other things I could be getting done while I'm sleeping. Sometimes I can't sleep, and sometimes I sleep when I don't want to. I just wish it was easier to manage.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 16:26:46 )

@Priestess of Pie: Exactly. When they invent a pill that makes you never need sleep again, I'll be first in line lmao

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 16:28:54 )

@Count Trashula: Like, sleeping is cool and you have dreams sometimes which is rad but like, getting a GOOD sleep is so difficult. Sometimes when I wake up I'm more tired than I was when I crawled in bed. I need more RPG physics in my life.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 16:39:54 )

@Priestess of Pie: Mood. I feel tired after waking up most of the time, no matter how long the clock says I've been in bed. I almost always wake up once during the night, but that's never been an issue (and AFAIK it's normal), though sometimes I'll wake up a lot more frequently. I have no explanation for feeling so tired on days when I don't wake up (more than once) during the night. Why did I bother laying in bed for anywhere from 5-10 hours if I'm just gonna crawl out of bed feeling like I'm on death's door and hating the world? Sleep is supposed to fix that! >:^(

My dreams are never anything worth remembering, with a few very rare exceptions. It's always the same mishmash of typical dream nonsense sprinkled with all my brain's favorite recurring elements. I don't usually have nightmares, but I don't have "good" dreams, either (when I do have nightmares, they're more frequent than the good dreams by far). They're just dreams, doing what dreams do. I could live without 'em. Last time I did have what I'd count as a pleasant dream, it lasted for a few seconds and then I got ripped out of it by some awful pain in my foot. Still no idea where that pain came from; I think my body was just determined to stop me from enjoying sleep at all costs and made something up. Haven't felt that pain since, nor have I had any other worthwhile dreams. hmmmmm.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 17:01:01 )

@count trashula: Yeah I wake up a lot at night also. I actually went to get a sleep study done because they suspected I had sleep apnea, but I don't. I just wake up an abnormal amount of times. It seems to get worse when stressed too so of course I'm having a pretty terrible time right now. I used to take sleep meds to help me stay asleep throughout the night and they were very helpful. I should probably start taking those again.

And my dreams that I can remember are usually pretty wild. I'm very rarely myself and often in other world settings.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 17:16:02 )

@Priestess of Pie: If they help, then it seems like a good idea; what were you taking? The only thing I've ever used (with any measure of success) was benadryl, which isn't for sleep but knocks me out like nothing else. Problem is I'll sleep for 10 hours straight if I take it and I don't wanna risk it.. plus I have no business taking allergy medicine on a nightly basis. Not a good long-term solution at all lol.
I have wondered if sleep apnea was a possibility, 'cause sometimes I do wake up gasping for breath. but not all the time, and I'm not much of a snorer or anything as far as I know, so I don't think that's my issue, either. Stress makes it worse for me, too. tbh I think my problem is being a chronically stressed out 2nd shift worker in a world full of day shift people. ;v;

That sounds pretty cool tbh... At least more interesting dreams like that can be good for inspiration if you write or make any kind of art.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 17:57:36 )

@count trashula: Sonata worked pretty well. It helped keep me asleep but didn't leave me feeling groggy in the morning. I would get a good, solid 4 hours at least. Benadryl knocks me out too. x_x Sometimes it's the only thing that helps with my allergies though (although to be fair, it's hard to know if it's working when you're unconscious)

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.