Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk My classes and ADHD rant

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/29 22:43:24 )

I'm currently taking a class about pathologies. Its for massage therapy so its a lot more brief than it would be for like, medical school or whatever. But this week we're on a chapter that talks about mental disorders. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder was the first that came up, and voila -- I have that.

ADHD is a very over-diagnosed disorder and a lot of people think its even just a myth, or an excuse, which was surprisingly also mentioned in the class. So I've learned to be very choosey about whom I talk to about it and to some people. I can't even mention it to my family, even though my mother was there was I was diagnosed, because she's crazy and forgets everything. To her, I've had every mental disorder, but I also have none at all :vanora_xd:

ANyways, it normally doesn't bug me at all. I learn to live with it, I'm a grown arse adult. BUT ADHD is no less ADHD, and it especially comes forth when I am in a job or academic scenario. I fumble so much and people get angry with me over things that I swear upon anything, I can't help it. I am constantly trying so hard to keep up with tasks and minor things. But I can't explain it to them. So they'll think I'm just a moron. I'll forget things I need, I fail to absorb a lot of information, and if there's too much going on inside or outside of my head, I absorb absolutely nothing. I have to do a lot of extra studying and some days I just cant. at all. Caffeine is my only saving grace lol

One of the things I piss myself off with the MOST is when I accidentally skip a page or two in a TEST. Like I know I look tests over several times, during and after filling them out. I'm sure pages can stick together but sometimes I just see the pages, imagine they're finished, and can't notice they aren't cause my brain clocks out for half a second. Or recently I had a take-home test that I decided to go with advice someone gave me (unrelated) to answer what I know first, then go back. BIG MISTAKE. Once the last page is spotted, this mofo mentally completes the test, glances over derpily and tries to turn it in. My instructor was pretty mean about it, and I had only 5 minutes to fill out a page and a half T____T
I didn't do well on that one.

Anyway, this pathology chapter about it is a pretty good briefing of what ADHD is, but it also very much emphasizes the stereotypical associations with ADD/ADHD that dont.. always.. exist. And a lot of times it talks about things make it sound like a person with ADHD is entirely, uncontrollably impulsive with no sense of logic in a situation. Like, "climbing and running around in a situation where it is only appropriate to be sitting"
Okay man, kids will do this, and I admittedly used to. But when my classmates and instructor are reading these things, they start attributing it as things that ALL ADHD PEOPLE ARE LIKE THIS, SO ITS HARD TO MASSAGE THEM

WOT

"They can't lay on a table for a full 60 minutes so they might need shorter sessions"

wot

The textbook suggests some people may be "uncomfortable" sitting still for so long, and it explains it very well, but my class reiterates it so... wrongly. And I really don't know why I care, since it really doesn't apply to me. But it annoys me so much. The issue I am not allowed to speak about is because people can't seem to comprehend it, and they tell me I'm wrong because I'm not some exaggeratedly impulsive nutcase. A lot of those cases are with small children, but now that I'm old, I no longer am allowed to have ADHD. Even when the correct information is right in front of their faces.

Idk, maybe I should stop thinking about it xd
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/1 02:00:52 )

It's quite a stigma and I feel for you. I've been high functioning for a very long time so I've learned a lot of coping skills. As I'm sure you already know, building routines is important. It may be a good idea for you to get into the habit of just checking over every page in a test before handing it in, just in case. I feel you on the learning thing though especially. The only reason I made it through school is because I'm crazy good at figuring things out based on context, but there were days when I'd completely blank out entire lessons.

The thing is I can almost guarantee that they know someone well that has ADHD and they don't even know. It's so different between adults vs. children and even boys vs. girls. Also, as someone who does get massage therapy on the regular, I've never had a problem sitting through a 90 minute session so that's wild to assume that will be the same for everyone. Honestly I find it the best time to just allow myself to finally zone out with no consequences.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.