Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk I just want restful sleep

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 19:31:43 )

My doctor said I need a sleep test. Worried about the cost.

I apparently have a SUPER small airway, so I snore and snore all night. It's possible that that is causing me to have awful sleep. I told her I suspect that I get too much REM sleep because my dreams are extremely vivid and feel like they last all night.

Most days are pretty ok. Days like today are really frustrating because I am so exhausted. And at work. So I can't do anything about it except for guzzle some coffee.

On a new depression med that might help too. We'll see.

Not sure why I am making a post about this, but I guess I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? How'd you get through it?

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 19:39:21 )

I had to get a sleep test a few years ago to make sure I didn't have sleep apnea (since my parents do and I wasn't getting enough rest despite sleeping for over 8 hours). I'm not sure the cost as I had decent insurance at that time. I can tell you that if you DO have sleep apnea, and your insurance covers one of those machine things, it can make a huge difference to your quality of life.

That being said, I ended up NOT having sleep apnea, just an overactive brain that kept waking me up but not all the way every 20 min or so. As it turns out, it's stress related because when I feel better I sleep better too.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 20:51:00 )
Yeah I can completely relate. It sucks a lot. I never sleep throughout the night. I don't remember the last time I did. :/

I had sleep apnea as a kid, so they took out my tonsils and adenoids. I don't think I had trouble sleeping back then. Pretty sure I slept well.

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 21:56:16 )
I'm narcoleptic, but I've never really had a sleep test to confirm this. I just had pretty much everything else ruled out. Reading the symptoms list is like reading a list of my personality traits, though, so I don't feel like I need to test it. Its obvious, and I'm not suffering too much so I'd rather not medicate. Some of the symptoms you mention line up with mine, so I can sympathize. I often don't sleep at night. I'm constantly exhausted. A proper nights sleep is so important.
I think you should definitely get a sleep test if you can. Don't follow my bad example
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 23:55:53 )
I have mild insomnia, just trouble falling asleep.
But over the years I’ve learned tricks to help me fall asleep.
Luckily, once I’m asleep, I stay asleep.

Sleep is extremely important for your health, physical and mental.
So you might ultimately have to do a sleep study to take care of yourself.
But I totally understand that anything medical is SO expensive.
Most of my insomnia tricks are things I learned online from people who had similar issues.
But my problems are mental and not physical so you might eventually have to get help from a doctor.

My sister listens to audio books all night because she constantly wakes up and they help her go back to sleep.
They’ve actually helped her enough she hardly ever wakes up fully.
But everyone needs different things.
Find me @ PlayWithErica on instagram, twitch, youtube, and discord.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/8 00:29:09 )
Get your hormones and your vitamin levels checked. Weird sleep patterns can be as simple as a hormonal imbalance or a vitamin deficiency (especially when combined with the strange vivid dreams). Good luck. Not sleeping well sucks.
┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/8 02:51:37 )
I hope it all works out. I have trouble with sleep, and always have since I was a kid, but I generally attribute it to ADHD and my inability to switch off at night

I've tried various things over the years with sporadic and fleeting success, but I'm pretty sure if I could figure out how to reliably get my brain to stop paying attention to everything around me at night, it would sort itself out. I know exercise during the day helps me go to sleep later, and lots of small habits like that. Keeping a balanced and healthy physical and mental life goes a long way toward making my sleep restful, but I've been struggling with that for a while, so I'm just trying to get back into some better habits.

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/9 21:38:42 )

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Makes me realize that there really are a whole laundry list of reasons and ways that sleep can be affected. It's so crazy. I think I kind of messed up my sleep schedule on top of it all, which definitely didn't help.

I'm hoping it's either just because I apparently have a SUPER small airway, causing lots of snoring. Though I don't like the idea of having to use a CPAP machine. They're kinda loud and I like to sleep on my sides. I feel like I snore more on my back. Dunno. But I have a doc appt tomorrow and I gotta look into the sleep test I suppose. I'm kinda spooked about it tbh.

Wildfire, That's a good point. My hormones def are whacked, but I'm on BC now which has been helping; I wouldn't be surprised if I needed vitamins too, haha. Maybe I should sign up for that like vitamin delivery service - they're usually so expensive so I didn't buy any the last time I was suggested a specific one (by my doc), though she said it was mostly a small lack, nothing major.

Lina, thank you! I usually sleep like a rock, but it's the quality of it that's lost. It feels like most days, (3-4 a week) I'm exhausted all day even though I slept 9 hours (I tried lessening to 7 and 8 in case I was oversleeping, didn't help). I have to double check with my insurance but it does seem like a study will be my best bet. It's been like this for years, and didn't go away with adulthood/being done with college, so it's worth looking into so I can hopefully fix it and not live my life forever like this, haha. Insomnia is really rough - I'm glad you were able to mostly get to a better place on that!

Priestess, That makes total sense. The first few nights I tried CBD oil, I slept really well. Unfortunately it doesn't always work.

Shark, I'm not sure if I do have sleep apnea, like I feel like my breathing is consistent through the night - I never wake up with gasping for air or anything like that (save for a few times several years ago) , but I feel like I do show other symptoms of it... So def possible

Glume, No that totally makes sense. Sometimes it can be easy to self diagnose at times like that. I hope it gets better for you! That sounds really rough. ;-; I'm def gonna get one but im kinda dreading it OTL

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.