Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat The 16th Anniversary of September 11th

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 21:03:49 )
I always wonder how September 11, 2001 personally affected everyone. It's always a subject of discussion each year based on where someone lived or whether or not they were even cognizant of the event. Each year, I become more and more aware that folks I frequent with--especially in the avatar site world--weren't even AROUND for September 11, 2001. So, here's a question for you all--

Where were you during the events of September 11, 2001?

Personally, I went the whole day through 6th grade, unknowing. Finally at the end of the day before we were waiting to be released to the buses and car lanes, our chorus teacher lashed out at us to shut up so he could hear the news from his computer. The teachers had kept it silent from us all day to avoid panic. But that evening I was glued to the TV, even as an 11 year old.

Donator — Winchester Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 21:10:08 )
I just started my final year of high school (what was at the age of 16 for me). I got out of school when it happened and got home just when the second plane hit the tower. I was also glued to the tv since that moment.
I would've been in New York, if my uncle and aunt hadn't moved back sooner (because my grandmother was dying)

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 21:23:14 )
@Tuijp: That was some good fortune on your part ... had a friend in the mainland of New York just about 30 minutes train ride from NYC. He said it was mayhem. He was 9.

Donator — nyan? Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 21:48:08 )
I was actually home sick from school that day. I remember mom watching the news and crying and the phone ringing a lot. She kept telling me to go to my room because I was so young.
It affected me because my sister was in a major college in St Louis, and people were spreading rumors that colleges were targets next. My sister left college that day and never looked back, and she actually has like PTSD about it now.

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 21:52:18 )
@Neko: Yeah, I'd say I would too. They didn't evacuate us because they didn't want all the parents leaving work, people being on the road, causing hysteria, etc. Now that I think about it a lot of kids were checked out of school that day though. I hope your sister copes well with her PTSD. :<

Donator — nyan? Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 21:54:49 )
@Concentricity: It's just that any time it's the anniversary of 9/11 or anything like that comes up, she just breaks down crying. She can't help it. And my sister is kind of the cold type, you know? She rarely says I love you (I know she does though, of course), takes a lot to make her cry, etc.

sell me rigs please♥

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 21:58:10 )
@Neko: I am the exact same way--I understand completely what you mean. Hopefully today won't be so bad on her. <3

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 22:04:25 )

[x]

pls don't

Donator — He/Him Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 22:17:27 )
I was in kindergarten. I don't remember anything that day.

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 22:17:34 )
I guess everyone was in panic that more attacks were going to hit schools? I can understand wanting to keep kids away from windows.

Donator — - Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 22:24:43 )
I was almost 22 years old. My daughter was turning 4 the very next day, my son was 9 months old and my late wife was 7 months pregnant with our second daughter. I was a freshman in University but I don't remember exactly what I was up to at the time.

I do know that my friend, Ryan's grandmother was a flight attendant and was supposed to work on one of the planes that hit the twin towers (I don't know which one exactly) but luck was on his family's side and her sister came from out of state for a surprise visit, so she stayed home, thus saving her life.

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 22:50:34 )
That's unbelievable. I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Your friend's grandmother was indeed lucky--that's a huge blessing.
Nice to see another Irish! My maiden name is O'Kelley. We love visiting Dublin. Been meaning to go back.

Donator — She/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 23:00:03 )
My story was pretty much the same as yours. I was in 5th grade, I could tell that the teachers were acting different today but they wouldn't say why, and they told us to watch the news when we got home. My mom told me at home what happened. She explained it to me and I remember after all of us neighborhood kids talking about it and saying it was sad that so many people died and that we couldn't understand why someone would do this to other people. I grew up in FL in the same timezone as NY. Also a lot of people from NY move to FL, so there were kids pulled from school that day.
By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — - Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 23:18:59 )
@Concentricity: Thank you. It's hard. She died from Leukemia 11 years ago. I miss her but she was suffering. So though it hurt, it was kind of a relief when she died because she didn't have to feel her pain anymore. I miss her though.

Yes, Ryan's family was very lucky. I am so glad that his grandmother's sister just happened to be like, "Let's go visit family this week!"

Really? Nice! Do you live in Ireland? My last name is a pretty popular one, Doyle. I was born in Dublin and lived with my uncle in Ballsbridge until I was four. My mom, Dad, twin and I immigrated to Boston. We stayed there for a year and then we moved to Cincinnati and I've been here since. : P I've visited Ireland only once, in July of 2016.

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/11 23:22:47 )
@Shamrock Shamus: Can't even imagine losing your spouse. I suffer from anxiety/depression and worry about my husband like that. Leukemia is an awful way to go though. I'm glad she's not suffering anymore.

I'm American born and raised, but we have very close-knit Irish roots. We visit often. Mostly cousins that still live there. My mother is a Wallace, so we have that Scottish tie as well--been to Scotland more than Ireland actually.

Do you have any sort of accent from living in Ireland so young, or has it kind of dropped off?

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/12 04:08:41 )
I was walking to my science class, I was a junior in high school. Everyone started running into random classrooms just so they could look up to see what was happening on the television. We did nothing else for the rest of the day except watch. Even when I got home I don't think we ever watched anything else for the rest of the week.
Please @ me.
My mind wanders so that ensures I come back.

Donator — She/Buns Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/12 05:05:17 )
I was in my sixth grade history class when my science teacher busted in and looked at my history teacher and said 'theyve hit the towers' and we all rushed over to her room since it was bigger and watched.
i remember being scared and confused.

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/12 06:24:12 )
@Niamh: Wish I was older where they wouldn't have kept it from us like they did at a middle school age. I can understand why they did, but at the same time it's one of those things looking back I wish I would have known when it happened.

@Pixiebuns: You and I were the same age then. Crazy that the teachers had no filter though and just shouted it out in front of all the kids.

Donator — She/Buns Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/12 06:25:09 )
@Concentricity: yeah, it was really weird.
very confusing too.
i dont think we had school for a few days after that either.
everyone was in a panic about it.

ping me
Art in sig by Seo
Art in post by Cedes
Hangout

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/12 06:59:14 )
I remember it as being a surprisingly nice and summery day, where I was in a good mood as I rode my bike home after school. Getting into the livingroom I noticed my mother sitting crying while staring at the television, honestly I had very little idea of what all the fuzz was about, though that maybe she had had an epileptic seizure into the couch-table. It was first later that evening when the news only talked about what had happend, and show'd pictures of it, that I started to understand.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.