Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Catastrophizing/Thinking the Worst

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/3 07:35:20 )

I just realised recently that I have this really bad tendency to catastrophize, meaning I sometimes end up thinking the worst of a situation or a future one. Before I used to think it was normal and get so stressed over the scenarios I would make up in my end. Now I try to recognise when I'm doing it and tell myself that my thoughts are unreasonable.

It works...about 50% of the time. For example, my parents are going on overseas again and I'm already thinking about the things that could go wrong to them and to me. It's silly though since they've gone overseas multiple times already so this ain't my first rodeo.

Do you guys tend to catastrophize as well? If so, how do you deal with it? It would be cool to get some tips :)

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/3 08:53:44 )

Sometimes I tend to overthink about people doing or saying negative things to me. And I get worked up. I hate it. It’s a cycle that is really hard to stop. I guess the best thing you can do it recognize that and try to break the cycle. Which it sounds like you are doing.

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/3 09:41:38 )
I try to look at this as a useful skill. Whenever I start to worst-case-scenario, I tell myself that it can't possibly go that bad. That way, I'm prepared for the worst by imagining it so much more awful than it actually will be. I also actively try to imagine the best case scenario, just to even things out.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/3 11:20:00 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

Naw, I may mope for a bit but I tend to find the silver lining

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/3 12:44:47 )

@totalanimefan: That’s exactly how I feel sometimes too and I hate myself for doing it. It’s really comforting for me to know that I’m not alone when it comes to these things so thank you <3

@glume:Oh that’s a good tactic and thinking of it as useful skill is a cool way to look at it! I always forget about the possible best case scenario, which is something I will have to remind myself about.

@kitalpha hart: I honestly aspire to be like that * O* I should try and find a silver lining too in those situations.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/3 20:15:15 )

@Yumi: you shouldn’t hate yourself. I think it’s human nature + the negative society we live in that conditions our brains to think this way.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 13:23:01 )

@totalanimefan: That's a really a good point! For some reason, it hasn't crossed my mind that society has conditioned my brain so much (it's obvious now that you brought that up). I was always thinking it stemmed internally for me. That should be something I'll remind myself of when I get that negative feeling again.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 14:49:41 )

@Yumi: yes please do!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/4 17:52:32 )

Yes that's one of the main issues I have and is still working on. Is a lot worse on days when I wake up and have that feeling nothing feels right moments. Is even worse when I'm stressed or felt like my world is literally crashing down on my feet.

I usually step back once I notice it and often remind myself, that sometimes those negative thoughts, we potray them more worse than it really is. Once I calm down and give myself that self-talk, I also realized that those problems are not so bad as I make it seem in the first place.

Is weird how our thoughts can do to us :viosweat:

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.