Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat shake a bag of coins for the new year!

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:56:09 )

My best friend told me of this tradition his family does for new years. When midnight hits, they'd shake a bag of coins to bring financial luck in the new year.
I don't know if this is a normal tradition in his country or just something they do. most likely the latter I think. But I always found it charming.

My only consistent new year tradition was drinking sparkling white grape juice. but other activities differed.
My family doesn't take part in many traditional things when it comes to holidays, which might be why I have such a strong interest in making my own or checking out what others do! For myself, I always make sure to set a healthy mindset on new years day. I decide what that focus should be on eve usually, and just hold it in hopes to bring more positivity in my year. I also try to be productive with art or work.

Like Mousy's word of the year thread :D

Anyway, what traditions do you have/want to adopt? Or just find interesting

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 08:35:56 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

When I was little, we watched the NYC countdown
Now, we don't care so much

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 08:58:06 )
I watched the NYC countdown on stream this year just to make it feel more the same as before haha

that's what my family would do

I never went to parties or anything

e
and after love and loss and all the tears that I cried, I find that here we are in the future

Donator — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 14:00:11 )
New Years Eve used to be the only night my brothers and I could stay up all night. My mom would rent like 4 movies and buy some “nice” snacks (Milano cookies lol. They were classy when I was a kid). Usually my parents would watch the first movie or two with us, we’d shout and holler at midnight, and then my parents would go to bed and leave us kids to our marathon.

My wife and I are just starting to come up with our own traditions for our new family. She likes the idea of a little “mini feast” and we were supposed to do a cheese plate and stay up being CUTE but i had to go work tonight instead. I still got to eat cookies tho and my team all shouted at each other at midnight so that was nice. Wife and the dogs went the heck to sleep though lmao

Donator — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 14:00:53 )
Forgot to ask — what country is that tradition from, if you don’t mind answering? Totally cool if you’d rather not say, I know some people are private.
ping me for best results

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 18:11:09 )

@synth:
The philippines. Although it might just be his family's tradition, like I know his mom is a bit superstitious anyways. c:

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 19:38:30 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

My parents used to take me and my bro to Washington D.C. or Times Square for New Year’s, but I prefer being indoors and away from the cold and crowds. So now I just drink sparkling wine and watch the countdowns on TV.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/2 02:21:34 )
My family and our friends do that tradition as well! We're from the Philippines too :) Not sure where that tradition originated from but most of my childhood memories is pretty much shaking a bunch of coins in our hands/pockets as we watch the New Year Eve's fireworks.

Our New Year has mellowed down now so we usually just stay at home and watch the fireworks on TV. It's a normal day for me but it's always nice to relax.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/2 02:31:52 )
I didn't make it to midnight... I fell asleep, but I did wake up to fireworks, went to the bathroom and crawled into bed. Then I woke up at 3am cuz our upstairs neighbors came home very noisily than normal(you can hear them pace the floors, but last night was worse.) And I never went back to bed and surprisiling I am wide awake, not tired and have energy up the wazoo.

Normal traidtion is to sit around and watch movies/tv, eating snacks and some wine.

When I was a kid my Mom and I and a friend used to sit around and do the same(only since we were kids we got sparking fake wine), and had to wake my friend up around midnight every year cuz she never made it.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.