Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Games MUDs

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 19:30:30 )

This is a super niche genre of games, but I'm curious to know if there are any Volties that are involved in them too!

For the curious and initiated, here is the wikipedia page for MUDs.
TL;DR:
Multi-User Dungeons are, to put it simply, text-only multiplayer games. When computers were primarily text-only machines, text adventure games were popular (Zork is the most widely known), and these are multiplayer variants. A lot are based off of D&D, but not always, and thanks to technology called screen readers, they're a big hit with the blind community. There are a lot of MUDs that have been running since the early nineties, but it's not uncommon for someone to release a new one, due to the genre being popular amongst coders.

I started trying out MUDs because the text only nature of them allows a more detailed and complicated world than a traditional MMO. I am also a sucker for roleplay, and quite a few have roleplayers in mind.

Currently, I'm trying out a game called The Inquisition - Legacy, but I've played a lot of others. It's definitely a weird genre, but it can be enjoying when in the right mindset.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 19:36:27 )

Man I haven't heard about MUDs since... gosh. 1999? I didn't realize people were still using them, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Where do you even go to find them these days? All the ones I knew about back then I learned about through friends.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 19:52:41 )
I used to play a ton of MUDs, and I'm currently playing at least one oldschool rogelike. I'd love to see mud with a roguelike interface...
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 20:15:32 )

@Priestess of Pie: I found out MUDs via a random aquaintence on Discord who told me about Achaea (which is probably the most popular one at the moment, along with all the others made by Iron Realms. They're about the closest to a mainstream product you'd get.) and then I sort of explored it on my own by going on the r/MUD subreddit, and The MUD Connector. Though a think a lot of people got interested recently thanks to an article on PCGamer about Genesis's relaunch and cleanup.

Probably also helps that a lot of MUDs use browser based clients now as an option, so it's easy as heck to dive in and try one out.

@Glume: I also play roguelikes! I don't know of any MUDs that are similar but considering how big coding is in the community, I'm sure someone has considered it over on r/MUD.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 00:23:50 )

@Bioshock: I'm going to guess that the game you tried was either Achaea or one of that company's other games, since they're the main ones with any advertising beyond regular mud circles. (Also their user interface is very nice)

I dont blame you for getting overwhelmed though. MUDs can get super complicated, especially with age. Theres a popular one for roleplay that I want to try called Syndrome MOO, but I got overwhelmed when I first met someone ingame and I ended up quitting in a fit of anxiety lol.

If you ever want to try again, definitely ask around on r/MUD, and don't be afraid to try to talk to others! A lot of muds have chat channels specifically for newbies.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 00:39:23 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

I played one on kongregate, don't remember the name but it was dead
And I kept dying lol
But somehow I kept crossing paths with the same two characters and their donkey. I know they were the same trio because I ended up talking with them and that got our characters introduced by name

Put ya guns awn!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 01:25:08 )

@Kitalpha Hart: a mud on kongreate?? That's new to me. Do you remember what it was called?

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 01:31:42 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Chrysothemis: it's been a long time and idk if I can find it again, I'm mobile
All I really remember is that it had a rather low rating so it was near the back of one of the multiplayer tags
It's been 5+ years since I've had a desktop to play on so I can't help much, unfortunately

Put ya guns awn!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 02:08:51 )

@Kitalpha Hart: It just seems so strange to have a MUD on a Flash game site, but who knows lol. I know BatMUD is on Steam now (I haven't tried it, but I will admit, I am curious.) so it's not like seeing MUDs among other video games isn't too strange...

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 03:36:08 )

@Bioshock: Yeah, IRE's MUDs are really complex, especially on the combat side. Also, if you want to make a goal of being the strongest or the best in PVP, it requires not only a lot of time to train to that level and practically a coding degree, but also... actual money. :/

But if you want to just hang around and rp, I've heard Aetolia is actually one of the best ones! (I plan on trying it again in the future, since I love gothic settings.)

As for the best and most user friendly... hmm. I suppose it depends. Achaea has a good initial tutorial, but it quickly gets bogged down with information and what not, similar to the issue you ran into with Aetiolia. Drowning in help files can be really common in MUDs, unfortunately.

GenesisMUD is also very user-friendly. It has a separate world initially for newbies with lower level enemies and signposts around to guide you. I found myself less confused in it than I was in IRE's games. I haven't met anyone ingame there though, since I never fully finished the tutorial... ^^;

If you're familiar with the book series, DiscworldMUD is pretty nice. I also haven't left the tutorial there, but it's been interesting! I'm just waiting to read more of the books before I go back.

Forgotten Kingdoms is also a fandom-based MUD, this time based off of the Forgotten Realms D&D setting. It's a bit weird to get used to but they have a very nice and tight knit community. I get confused with the game sometimes, but their personal Discord is very welcoming!

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 03:44:55 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Chrysothemis: the more you know

I wonder if, by forcing a desktop request, I could find it on my phone

Put ya guns awn!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 03:51:37 )

@Kitalpha Hart: Probably not. If it's on Kongregate, that means it's a flash game and Flash isn't a thing that can run on mobile phones.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 03:55:03 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Chrysothemis: don't need Flash to look for it

Put ya guns awn!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 03:57:57 )

@Kitalpha Hart: Yeah, that's true. You'd only need it if you wanted to play it again.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 04:01:39 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Chrysothemis: I thiiiiiink the name had maid or maiden in it, but I'm not 100%
It's been so long, I wonder if it can even be found anymore

Put ya guns awn!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 04:19:19 )

@Kitalpha Hart: I searched both maid and maiden, but didn't find anything. I probably didn't look deep enough, though.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 04:42:57 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Chrysothemis: I went through all they had for maiden and it was all dressup games
Which is obviously not right

I wonder if it was removed

Put ya guns awn!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 04:51:32 )

@Kitalpha Hart: possibly. Maybe some kid made it as a test project and then deleted it later when not many people played it?

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 04:52:32 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Chrysothemis: that reason seems unlikely, it had multiplayer channels and iirc a game has to reach a certain level of popularity before it gets those

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 04:56:40 )

@Kitalpha Hart: Weird... maybe it was a client for an existing game? The only game with name remotely like that that I ca think of is maybe... idk, Materia Magica?

RP Search status... Open!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.