Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk How do you guys de-stress?

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 10:16:43 )
I'm curious how you guys de-stress, especially because apparently my methods I usually use don't really work and like...yeah I wanna hear how other people de-stress.

I'm talking the kind of stress that's like... bordering on the feeling of nausea or blacking out, and not being able to sleep at night for more than an hour at a time/constant waking because holy fuck there's a deadline but you can't do shit about it and everything's out of your control now and why are you still worrying omg just sleep you idiot you need to have sleep to tackle this properly in the morning what do you mean you feel like you're gonna throw up you dummy there's nothing to throw up its just a phantom feeling wow why are you like this and there's still like a constant pressure in the middle of your forehead that hints at maybe you might faint or not but probably not because you're just being dumb again and fjcjjf

*wheezes* okay that sentence was longer than it was supposed to be lol.

Anyway I wanna know what your guys's methods are because mine suck ass and don't actually work when things get overwhelming so lmaooo

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 13:56:51 )
    I listen to rain music to destress. At first it felt stupid but eventually it started working and now I wouldn't be without it. There are several good playlists on Spotify.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 14:07:22 )

It depends, some people listen to heavy metal to relax, some people listen to Enya. But yeah I second the music thing, helps me relax and focus at the same time.
Maybe cut down on coffee if you drink it. Games that occupy the mind helps distract me from things I cannot change, not MOBAs or FPS, more like games that require strategy and actual planning with very little left to chance. Hanging out with good friends and people also helps.

Always ping me please.

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 14:27:04 )
I listen to bittersweet j-pop or watch sweet anime or cartoons. ; w; Anything that makes me laugh or cry usually helps.

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 14:27:49 )
I agree that talking and hanging out with loved ones helps too!

Ash 8/7/19
Kate 1/9/22

by YukiThePanda <3

Twitter

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 16:00:23 )

Epsom Salt Bath
Peaceful Video Game OSTs playing in the background.
A slow color changing light.
With a glass of iced herbal tea.(hot bath with a cold drink is nice)

Then when that is all said and done I'll zone out in either a book or a video game.
Whatever helps dissociate from the worries.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 16:01:34 )

I am looking for some items in my quest thread!
I can offer a trade or art for them!

How do I de-stress...? /Eye twitches. I don't... O)____(o

Come chill at The Treehouse or visit my Item Trading Thread!
[Pixels by Ghost & DragonicKittens!]

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 16:32:48 )

Nature. Have a good walk and then sit on bench and watch everything pass by.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 18:38:53 )
Ahh. I don't think my methods work all the time, especially with an essay deadline due (Essays always take me forever to write because... I never know WHAT I want to write.)
I usually either draw (something out of the ordinary, like those pattern color in ones, or I work on commissions because I'm getting at least one time constraint thing done), I take a hot shower/bath for a few minutes or I literally clean everything in my entire house. You know I'm stressed when my house is immaculate on a Tuesday night. xD

TH || dA ||webtoon

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 19:32:14 )

I go for a walk and/or listen to music. Try to stay away from the sad ones.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/13 19:33:54 )

I live in a constant state of stress. The only real solution is to solve the actual problem, of course, but sometimes--like in my case--that's not possible. So temporary distractions are pretty much all I have. They don't work very well for me, honestly; I think I'm becoming immune to them. But if your problems are temporary or things that will otherwise resolve themselves and you're just wound up or nervous about them, that's easier to handle. Then the temporary things might actually do you some good. What works or doesn't work will depend on your mood and situation.

-Soothing ambient noise like rain sounds, nature sounds, or an ASMR video
-White noise, noise canceling headphones, ear plugs, a loud fan, etc to block out distractions
-Energetic music: sometimes stress means pent up energy, and music can help channel it and work out your feelings
-Calm music: sometimes the opposite approach works better and a soothing song can bring you back to a calmer state
-Walking or exercise, preferably outdoors in nature or in a dedicated place free of stressful distractions if possible, but any activity is good
-Engaging in a hobby or working on a project
-Talking/venting, either to friends you trust or perhaps online where it's anonymous; sometimes just writing in a journal helps, too
-Being around animals, if possible; if you don't have pets, consider a trip to a dog park, cat cafe, pet store, shelter, etc
-A warm bath or shower, bonus points if you can add something like a bath/shower bomb, epsom salts, etc
-Smiling: tricks your brain into thinking you're in a better mood than you are
-Repeating something positive to yourself: "I'm so proud of you for doing this", "It's going to go great", "You've handled worse", etc
-Talking to people who have been in a similar situation and can empathize, and possibly share how they handled it and give encouragement
-Performing a ritual: a specific set of actions with the intention of calming yourself down in mind while doing them
-Warm drinks like coffee, tea, or cocoa (but keep the caffeine to a minimum, as too much will make anxiety worse)
-Go somewhere else; sometimes, just a change of scenery can help you clear your mind
-Aromatherapy; lavender is usually the go-to for de-stressing, but any smell you really enjoy will help
-Change what you're doing if it's not working; if you're trying to sleep but can't, just get up and try again later
-Play a simple game, nothing too exciting but just enough to give you something else to do and concentrate on for a while
-Read a book, preferably a physical copy as you can take it with you away from other distractions and stressors
-Cold water: splash some on your face, drink a tall glass of it, take a cold shower; sometimes cold works better than warm for anxiety
-Take deep breaths and count down, then repeat
-Practice mindfulness and awareness of your physical surroundings

Usually some combination of two or more of the above works best. One thing by itself probably won't do much, but if you find a few that work for you even a little, make them habit--just having a go-to habit can also help.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/14 02:41:01 )

I drink tea, sit in silence, draw a bit, or if I'm feeling for it I play some video games~
As much as I love to listen to music sometimes I just need time to think without any sort of distraction so I also tend to listen to rainymood or nothing at all. NOrmally this helps me collect my thoughts and organize it in a way so I know what I want to do next.

Art Thread | Garage Sale

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.