Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat When you have a big task to do

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 19:12:35 )

But you really don't want to and you have already put it off a couple times.
I need to make a list of all the books I own. So that when I am in a bookstore I can actualy buy something again.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 19:20:51 )

@vengeance: How big would this list be? I know that it would take days to do that in our house.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 19:21:50 )

@Monorea: I think I have atleast 50 books. But I don't know honestly XD

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 19:24:40 )

Shouldn't take more than an hour then right? I would put on some music and dance my way trough it.
But yeah i am a procrastinator too so it is hard to actualize something even if you have planned it.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 19:43:19 )

[ You could just use the Goodreads app and scan them into a shelf. o.o Take that with you to the bookstore. ]

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 19:47:45 )

I have never used that app. I might try that.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 19:53:39 )

@Another Movie Addict: What do you mean scan them into a shelf?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 20:53:42 )

[ On Goodreads you make 'shelves' of books. To read, read, ect ect. She could make an 'I already own this' shelf, and then just use her phone to scan the bar codes on her books. Put them into that shelf. It's waaaaaaaaaay faster than like writing them all down and stuff. ]

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:25:05 )

@Another Movie Addict: Ah i totally forgot most books nowadays have barcodes on them, you can just scan barcodes of books from any publisher or country then?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:28:15 )

[ Yep pretty much. ]

Donator — A.I. Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:29:43 )
I didn't know I needed that app before now. xD

I know how you feel, veng. I've had boxes and boxes of junk sitting in our storage room for like 3 years now, and I keep telling myself to sort through it and get rid of the stuff I don't need anymore... I mean, I've lived without it for 3 years! I obviously don't need it that bad!

But the moment I start opening boxes and looking at everything, I'm like "oooh but I love this, I want to keep it" and end up right back where I started... c':

please ping me if you need my attention! || be excellent to each other ♥

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:36:47 )

@Vii: We have a big house so a lot of things that aren't necessary anymore go in storage and my mom is of the oh but we may have a use of this attitude a lot of the time. But every three to five years it gets too much and we have to throw things away. First we do an initial sweep with our mom and then the next time she is away we throw away even more stuff she wouldn't throw away since it could have value if sold or such stuff. We never sell stuff tho.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:40:39 )

Sounded like my dad for years XD Always like "Maybe I could use this in the near future". Mainly cables and stuff.

Donator — A.I. Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:42:35 )
@Monorea: Yeah I can relate to your mom xD I really don't like wasting things and always think something like, "what if I need this again someday?"

Granted a lot of it is stuff like old books, Game Boys, magazines etc which I consider collectible if not just for sentimental value. I tend to get really attached to objects, though, which isn't really healthy c': it just feels wrong to toss something aside when it's served me well.

@vengeance: that is 100% a dad thing, and I probably got that (saving cables / electronic parts especially) from my dad too. xD So many HDMI cables, batteries, random power cords which probably go to items I don't even have anymore... lol RIP

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:49:51 )

@Vii: We do have a lot of old and new books, probably over 2000? She did save magazines in the past but after having several shopping bags full of them she finally understood that magazines aren't anything to keep.
And my dad did save old cables and electronic stuff in the past but after the first time it got so much he had to clean it (which took a long time since we have a lot of space, both getting that much stuff and cleaning it.) then he didn't save unnecessary electronics again.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 21:54:56 )

@Vii: My dad did clean out all the cables last year. So we have way less now. We also had a mass amount of books. And when we repainted the living room my dad got rid of a lot of them.

Donator — A.I. Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 22:28:03 )
@Monorea: Holy cow, I can't even imagine 2000 books in any context outside of a library!

The only magazines I've been holding onto are old j-rock magazines from my middle school weeb phase. Since they were imported, they were fairly expensive, and I keep telling myself someone will want to buy them someday... xD

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 22:36:45 )

@koneko: I have not but I think I should do that. Might recommend it to my mom too XD

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 22:37:56 )

Did I hear something about 2000 books? Looks upstairs .... Hmm I'm sure we have atleast 500 there. And then my dad also has a lot of comics.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 22:55:24 )

@Vii: Yeah it is a lot, i sometimes joke i don't have to visit the library because we have a small one at home.

@vengeance: We have a couple of chests full of donald duck comics and the the phantom comics. No one reads them anymore tho.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.