Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature What kind of books do you tend to DNF?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 00:38:32 )

[ Been reading a lot lately, and watching some booktube stuff. Because I'm bored with my usual Youtube preferences. Anyway I recently got these two books from the local library, and honestly thought that I was going to DNF them. Do Not Finish. They actually turned into something that I really enjoyed and will definitely finish both trilogies. But this made me wonder. What kind of books do y'all dnf? What's on your tbr? Bookish questions. ]

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 00:56:07 )

Books i DNF is usually thrillers and detective novels. Thrillers aren't interesting to me and i was poisoned by reading too many youth detective novels when a kid so i can barely touch most of them nowadays the exceptions to that are probably big classics like Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot. Not Miss Marple tho, i can't read those books at all.
Since the local non-chain bookshop closed down i am not reading that much anymore so on my TBR list is mostly cooking books.

Donator — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 04:05:13 )
I usually read through a book even if it sucks, but there was this one book I tried reading and it was the worst thing ever... I could not force myself to read any more of it. and yet it has super high ratings. x_x I don't know how that's possible. I don't believe it.

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 04:46:12 )
I'll give just about anything a go and force myself to continue reading it even if it kind of sucks.

And I mean anything.

When I was in college, I'd read tons of free kindle books and wowzers... some of those are TERRIBLE.
Can anyone publish something on kindle? because some of those books were just... There is no way they had an editor. XD

I will also have a hard time with books that are trying too hard or books that really cater to the trendy teen audience. A lot of the supernatural topics have been overdone and some seem like they were written just because the author went "Hey! Them whippersnappers like Vampires. I'ma write the same exact story that everyone else has with new names and put a sexy guy on the front."

I tend to enjoy YA because it can be like potato chips for the brain. Some turn out amazing, others not so much, but I didn't need to think much or analyze anything. *shrugs*

Dystopian is my fav.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — Whatever Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 11:33:19 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

I think the only book I haven't finished willingly is Cursed Child

I never got far in Sense and Sensibility, but my sister made me read it on her ipad and took it with her when she left. I have no idea why, but I think someday I'll get my hands on that book again

There may be some others but idk off the top of my head

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 13:56:34 )

[ @Kitalpha Hart: I really do need to add Sense and Sensibility to my Jane Austen collection. ]

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/18 13:58:12 )

[ @Mousy: Those free books are always so freaking bad. I have dnf so many of them.

The most recent dnf for me was the Flowers in the Attic series. I got halfway through the second book, and I just could not finish it. ]

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/25 19:20:38 )

The only book I've ever been unable to finish was The Red Badge of Courage. It was so wordy and boring, with too much unnecessary description to the point where I would forget what was actually happening in the story. That was a million years ago when I was in school. I don't read much these days.

AKA Count Trashula

Voltie — boss baby Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/25 19:31:52 )
these aren't genres but more general pet peeves thatll put me off a book but:

1) a reaaally unnecessary and boring love subplot will usually make me uuuuUUUGGHHHhh outta there, like it's so tedious... either give me chemistry or don't BOTHER. (especially if the extent of their relationship is "well... they're a man and a woman and they're in a story together! they GOTTA be in love right?" yuck)
2) too much purple prose. like oh my GOD stop describing the goddamn room and get on with it! I don't have the patience for it... (not saying its not good to be descriptive or creative of course but when it just goes on for paragraphs it's like, chill.... sometimes keeping it simple works better with the flow....)
3) if I don't vibe with the main character I'll bounce too. like tch I'm not wasting my time following your adventures I've got better stuff to do

young dumb and full of crumbs

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.