Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Games Physical or digital?

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/25 04:25:35 )
Do you like physical copies of games or do you prefer digital?

I prefer physical for console, but digital for PC. I don't play many PC games, but it's the only way you can play Sims anymore (through Origin) and there's a site I love called Big Fish that sells really high quality point-and-click type games for cheap, and the more you download the more free stuff you can get!

I'm still not sold on console games, though. I have a few when that's the only way to get them, but I like having a disc on hand. Then I've got something to sell, too, if it sucks. XP

Donator — Whatever Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/25 04:35:30 )
Are ya reddy, guyz?!
Six of one, half a dozen of the other

Some games are digital copies only so no choice in the matter

questShop

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/25 12:32:42 )
Digital is great, because I have a digital gaming library that would fill three real-life rooms... but I also have a real-life room full of oldschool games in their physical form. *waves cane* Now let me tell you about oldschool physical games, kiddos! Often they would come jam-packed full of awesome goodies. Instruction manuals you would never read except they've been written poetically and dressed with all sorts of concept art. Actual extra art pieces. Posters. Full sized maps of the territory to hang up behind your entertainment-boxes. Key-chains. TINY PEWTER FIGURINES. Usually these were included with no extra cost.
Also, I second Bioshock's notion of proof of ownership. Right after my dad passed away, I saw his steam account active. I was furious, but of course the person who stole the account didn't care. I didn't have my dads password or e-mail or anything to get it back, but steam asked me to take a picture of one of the games unique codes with a code they sent me and the next day the account was mine. (Steam is so great for this, btw)
Plus, my PC won't play a lot of those older games correctly so I just have a bunch of shiny disks and wasted plastic... but I love them so, so there they'll sit for eternity.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/25 12:39:47 )

Digital for me, the game downloads and installs with it's updates and you do not lose the games and there is no cd to scratch.
Also i can find and sort my games more easily, i have 1800+ games on steam and several hundred more on other launcers so it would be too much to have physically.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/25 13:16:54 )

I find digital much easier. I can just click on the game and it will load. But I agree that if a game sucks when you bought it then you have a problem. For consoles I rather have a disk since I don't want the harddrive to get completely full by having to install games on it.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/25 13:33:23 )

@vengeance: You can usually get a refund if you played less than an hour on a digital game tho?

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/25 13:49:15 )

@Monorea: Not every game I buy is played right away. I can always try and sell a physical copy like a year later. I doubth I get a refund of a digital game a year later.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/25 13:58:41 )

@vengeance: Yeah the limits are two weeks of ownership and two hours of playtime on steam unfortunately. But then again selling a physical copy of a game doesn't tend to earn you all that much unless it's a collectible.

Donator — Wet Possum Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/07/27 05:39:10 )
I'm much more of a physical type of guy myself. I always get super paranoid that if my virtual copy of the game accidentally gets deleted then I have to start completely over. I know I could totally lose a physical copy of the game but for some reason I'm not as afraid.
My Hangout
Call me, ping me, if you wanna reach me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.