Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Role Playing When the Ink Dries

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 07:14:21 )
One.. by... one.
They only fall... a-part.
Can it be.. undone?

"Damn it!" the man cursed, as he ran through the forest, shoving vegetation and branches aside. "How could I have been found out!? I kept this mission as secret as I could!" he said further, tightly clutching at something in one of his hands.

He had been sent to retrieve something by his mistress, but just when he'd found it, a pair of people (one male and one female) appeared to stop him from returning.

Meanwhile, the two that were chasing him were starting to catch up, and the male looked at the female.

"Keep chasing him." he told his partner. "I don't know what he's up to, but it seems like that tip-off from Jake's buddy was right on the money." he went on.

"I'm going to get ahead of him, and we'll cut him off at the clearing that's ahead." he said further. "Just keep him distracted. Make him think that we're both still chasing him." he finished, before veering off slightly, and disappearing into the forest... though she could hear him moving ahead.

"Leave me alone!" she then heard their suspect yell. "I haven't done anything to you!" he exclaimed.

She did not respond, and merely continued to chase him.

Sure enough, when they reached the clearing, her male partner ran out from another area of the forest, slamming their suspect into a tree, causing him to fall to his ass, dazed.

"Halt! You are under arrest for trespassing and tampering in a restricted zone, by law of the Council and Triad!" the male declared, flashing his Unit badge.

The suspect just growled.

"You'll never take me! ABSOLUTE LOYALTY!" he declared, before he slammed his hand onto the tree behind him. This caused a swirling hole of mana to form behind him, and he fell back into it, the mana dissipated just as quickly as it appeared.

"Damn. He got away." the female said. "We need to report this to Sharp." they told the male, who bent down and picked up a fountain pen.

"Guess he dropped this." he mumbled, pocketing it. "Shame to let a good pen go to waste out here." he reasoned, before looking at his partner and nodding.

"Let's go." he agreed.

A few hours later, the two of them had left Sharp's office, and were making their way down one of the hallways. They ended up parting ways, and the male ended up bumping into Azazel when he turned a corner, causing the pen he'd found to come falling out of his pocket, though he didn't notice it.

"Watch where you're going, demon." he grumbled to Azazel, before just continuing to walk onwards.

"...he really needs to do something about his attitude towards demons." Azazel sighed, before shaking his head and continuing on where he was going... leaving the pen laying on the floor, unnoticed.

But it wasn't for very long, as a lone person noticed it out of the corner of their eye, and made their way towards it.

"Hello? What's this?" Illias asked, bending down and picking it up. He inspected the writing implement for a minute or so, before looking around. Seeing nobody there, he shrugged.

"I'm sure if it's important, it will be reported, and I'll return it." he reasoned, pocketing the pen.

'For now, seems a shame to leave it, in case someone more unscrupulous finds it.' he then thought, before looking at his watch and panicking slightly.

"Ah! Kiah'll have my head if I'm late for the compound testing!" he exclaimed, as he started to bolt toward the R&D department.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 07:38:08 )

As he hurried off, he could have sworn for a few seconds he'd felt ... something ... emanating from the pen. There was no way that he could identify what it was that he could feel, but ther ewas something. Although at the same time, he couldn't be sure there was soimething. It was merely a feeling, an inkling of the feeling even. Barely anything worth mentioning to anyone.

When he reached where he was supposed to be, late, of course, he was met with a sigh.

"Really Ilia?" a voice asked from behind him as he stepped inside.

"Come on. We're running behind. You keep an eye on the readings. I need to try and set this up." When he looked to see who it was, he saw the one that he didn't want to disappoint - Kiah. She had a mountain of books and papers in her arms as she made her way deeper into the room.

"Come on!" She called.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 07:58:49 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Illias bit his lip a little, and sighed as he hung his head low.

"Of course, Illias." he said to himself quietly. "Of course you're late. Of course you're disappointing her." he scolded himself.

"Miserable little fuck-up is what you are." he then spat at himself, before slapping his cheek... though it seemed to be more to get himself back in the right head-space for what was coming up.

"Coming!" he called to Kiah, before he raced after her.

"I'm sorry I'm late, I just-" he started to say, before stopping himself abruptly.

"Nevermind." he told her.

'She doesn't need to hear your lame-ass excuses.' he told himself mentally.

"I'll get to observing and recording the readings." he said to her.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 08:02:52 )

Kiah paused.

"Eh? What's going on?" She asked.

"And it's not your fault we're running behind. There were a couple of things that weren't playing nicely." The end of that statement had some bitterness to it.

"Anyway, we've got to get the testing started. If this goes well, then we'll have something to grant temporary immortality to people." She said as she set the books and papers down.

"How're the readings looking for the moment?"

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 08:29:13 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Illias looked at the displays, and checked a piece of paper on a clipboard he had grabbed.

"Hmmmm." he mumbled.

"......hm?" he then muttered.

"For the most part, things seem fine." he told her.

"But for some reason, the salinity of beaker C is a bit low." he said further, before looking at the glass container in question.

"It seems like it needs half a gram for it to be where we want it to be."

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 08:33:29 )

Kiah paused a moment as he said what he did.

"Seriously?" She asked

"Bloody hell. I can't keep that level... well... level." She told him.

"I keep having to adjust it, because it keeps dropping." She explained.

"It just... keeps dropping. No matter what I do, so far." she brought over what was needed to top the beaker up.

"You have any suggestions?"

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 08:45:57 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Illias was silent for a moment, studying the readouts, before going back over to the beaker.

".........hmmmm." he mumbled.

He looked all over the thing, before scratching at his chin.

"Wait..." he muttered.

"Who filled this?" he asked.

"Because this might be that specially filtered water. You know, the one that's enchanted to purify itself?" he suggested.

"It could be that the water is actively ridding itself of the salt."

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 08:48:27 )

Kiah paused.

'It... " She paused.

"Oh bloody hell, it was the blonde intern. Heaven help me I can't remember his name for the moment." She admitted.

"I asked him to fill the water, I never once considered that he could have been stupid enough to do that." She muttered

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 09:05:31 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

"Oh, crap, yeah, him." Illias responded.

"Well, it's a good thing this is the only beaker with water in it." he said, grabbing it.

"Let's try tap water." he told her, taking it away, grabbing another one, filling it with the right amount of water from the tap, and bringing it towards her.

"This might solve the problem." he commented.

"Otherwise, I have no idea what it could be."

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 09:06:38 )

"Possibly." Kiah agreed.

"We'll have to give it an hour or two though, before we can find out for certain. It takes time for it to drain, I suppose." She added.

"Anyway, you can tell me why you were running behind a bit. What's up?" She asked.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 09:26:15 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

"Huh?" Illias asked.

"Oh, it's... it's stupid." he said.

"I got caught up reading some books, and then got distracted on my way here." he told her.

"Found a lone pen in the hallway." he went on.

"Seemed too nice to just leave, so I grabbed it." he admitted, before taking it out and showing her.

"See? It's really quite exquisite." he commented.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 09:28:21 )

"A pen?" Kiah asked, seeming to be a bit confused before he showed it. As she reached out to take it so as to get a better look, she felt something course through her, something mana based.

"I..." She started before shaking her head.

"It... really is." She agreed with a nod.

"I also feel like I've seen it before... dammit. No idea where though." She admitted before sighing. "For some reason though... I wanna say there's a book that goes with it. Heaven help me, I can't say anything more than that."

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 09:36:48 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

"Well... hm." Illias mumbled.

"I suppose it wouldn't be surprising. Pen and book sets are common, especially when it appears to be such high quality." he commented, before sighing.

"But yeah, I couldn't just leave it there. It's too nice." he reasoned.

"I know, it's a stupid reason, but it was merely something that delayed me an extra minute." he lamented.

"The real reason was because I got caught up reading that new text about how the various elements react with various mana potencies." he admitted to her.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 09:57:24 )

"That's quite an enthralling tome." Kiah agreed with a nod.

"At least you were doing somethign to further your intelligence, really." She added with a shrug as she checked things over again. She knew that she had to, after all. She jot something down, figuring she'd give the pen a tester, before handing it back to him.

"That pen writes like a dream."

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 22:01:29 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Illias accepted the pen back, and looked at it, before looking at what she jotted down.

"Huh." he said.

"So this isn't just some antique or decorative item." he commented.

"Seems like this was actively used." he went on.

"Well... if someone comes forth, asking about it, I'll return it." he told her. "Otherwise, I may just hang onto it." he told her further.

"It's always nice to have a good pen." he reasoned with a small chuckle.

"Regardless, you may need to have a word with that intern, if it was, indeed, the water that was the issue." he then told her.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 22:13:32 )

"Oh probably." Kiah agreed, regarding the intern.

"I really hope that was the issue though, makes it easier.' She added with a light laugh.

"If it wasn't then... then I have no idea as to what the issue COULD be." she admitted.

"It will take awhile to figure that out... ugh. I guess todays test isn't going to happen."

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 22:43:27 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Illias just sighed.

"Lovely." he said.

"And I was looking forward to it, too." he told her.

"All I can do is watch the solution and monitor its salinity." he went on.

"Do you want me to make sure all the other components and elements are accurate and correct?" he then asked her.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 22:46:13 )

"Considering you should be able to just check from the screen, yeah. That'd be nice." Kiah answered.

"Probably should make sure they're playing nicely as well." She added after a few seconds as she started to do what she could to test the contents of one of the beakers. Thgere were some things that couldn't be read on a screen, after all.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/25 23:16:13 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

"Well, it seems that everything else is as it should be." Illias said, looking at the screen.

"...yeah. Yeah, everything else is reading normally." he told her.

"...." he was then silent, before looking towards Kiah, and sighing quietly.

'I need to do better.' he thought.

'She deserves a better coworker than me. She deserves... well... better than me, right now.' he further told himself mentally, before looking back at the screen.

"Careful with beaker A. The temperature seems a few degrees higher than it should be right now."

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?
"There is no shame in deterrence. Having a weapon is very different from actually using it." - Ghandi

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/26 05:24:40 )

"That's... odd." Kiah commented before attempting to deal with the increased temp that was there.

---

A few days later, Hollie stepped into the entranceway for the Unit. She stepped up to the security desk and sighed.

"Hey Jake." She greeted, and he could hear the weight to her voice. She was there for a reason, and it wasn't likely to be good from the sounds of it.
My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.